Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 26 Aug 2010 (Thursday) 06:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Anyone disappointed by today's releases?

gardengirl13
Goldmember
1,798 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Aug 27, 2010 12:45 |  #241

The first 50 1.4 I had worked great, sharp wide open focused great. Stupidly I sold it. Then I tried to buy another about a year later, tried three copies and none had good AF. Not sure why. So i went with a used 50 1.8 and that thing is sharp wide open and has better AF then the 3 1.4s I tried. I won't try the sigma after the issues I had with the 30 1.4 and focusing (one was so bad it front focused by ten feet!) So for me I have the 28 1.8 and 50 1.8 and love them both!

photos (external link)
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1205171

sponsored links
HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 27, 2010 13:17 |  #242

Dekka wrote in post #10800497 (external link)
This isn't like video or live view.

really? everyone whined (and still whining) about the exact same thing (esp video, i guess they finally got over liveview).

That screen has a great potential to be a real nuisance. You're stuck with what must be, in the very least, a structural weakness that doesn't go away by simply disabling it in the menus.

Please give a single real-life example that indeed happened.

5D3 and a few lens
es.

alt4852
Goldmember
3,419 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 27, 2010 13:31 |  #243

HyperYagami wrote in post #10800823 (external link)

i can understand the concern. i've never owned a camera with a flip screen so i can't comment on long-term use of it, but i think the same concept from my old sony clie is pretty applicable.

it also had a flip screen which could be turned and locked down to be used like a regular handheld computer. i thought it would be a cool feature, so i purchased it. however, after a year or so of light use, the hinge area became looser and the device would "open" unintentionally when i picked it up off the table. the joint eventually gave, and i had to get rid of it. now, i only buy devices with articulating sections on a need-basis only. on a DSLR, i don't see this as all that useful, so i wouldn't be in favor of it finding it's way onto the other models that we depend on to be rugged against heavy use.

5D4 | Z21 | 35L2 | 50L | 85L2 | 135L

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 27, 2010 13:32 |  #244

HyperYagami wrote in post #10800823 (external link)
really? everyone whined (and still whining) about the exact same thing (esp video, i guess they finally got over liveview).

I still do not use video nor do I intend to upgrade to a camera for the purposes of being able to. Is your point that since people like video in their camera they are going to like every change coming down the pike? Of course some are going to like it! What's your point?

Seriously? Swivel screens have broken off MANY cameras rendering them unuseable. There are plenty of stories of swivel screen becoming loose and flopping open. And as one more thing driving up prices on gear, I'd rather they not incorporate yet one more thing that only a few seem to want but EVERYONE will have to pay for.

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

ImRaptor
Goldmember
1,448 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 27, 2010 13:36 |  #245

While I do think the swivel screen is kind of a neat feature, I too have had them break in the past and don't really want them on a $1000 camera.

Canon could prove me wrong, but I am not going to be a guinea pig for their first large swivel screen on a DSLR, and I am suspecting it won't be very long at all after release that we start seeing threads on POTN of screen problems.

http://imraptor.devian​tart.com/ (external link)
Why yes, I am a jerk. Thank you for asking.

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,643 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Aug 27, 2010 13:40 |  #246

Eeek, keep that goofy stuff off the 1D line please. Don't even mention it. Considering Canon's track record of late they just might try pulling something like this with the upcoming 1Ds.

That thought gives me chills.

This isn't like video or live view. That screen has a great potential to be a real nuisance. You're stuck with what must be, in the very least, a structural weakness that doesn't go away by simply disabling it in the menus.

And thought by just as many to not be. MTF charts are not the be-all-end-all and many times sharpness isn't even the most important.

I still fail to see how this affects anyone who doesn't want it. I mean, if you don't want the screen to flip out, then don't flip it out!

For those who would use it, it's a great addition, even to the 1D series. I have a feeling that just like live view and video, this is going to be a fact of life, so for those against this, you might want to get used to it, because it's coming.

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 27, 2010 13:41 |  #247

Todd Lambert wrote in post #10800933 (external link)
I still fail to see how this affects anyone who doesn't want it.

Do the people who don't want it not have to pay for it? Then it affects them.

- James -
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 27, 2010 13:46 |  #248

Dekka wrote in post #10800897 (external link)
I still do not use video nor do I intend to upgrade to a camera for the purposes of being able to. <blah> What's your point?

you're confused "what you don't like" with "bad features".

Dekka wrote in post #10800897 (external link)
There are plenty of stories of swivel screen becoming loose and flopping open.

yes please give one.

while you're at at, go and say that to the canon p&s crowd about the uselessness of swivel screen and see what they say.

5D3 and a few lens
es.

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,643 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Aug 27, 2010 13:46 |  #249

Dekka wrote in post #10800940 (external link)
Do the people who don't want it not have to pay for it? Then it affects them.

Yeah, well... maybe you need to go organize an anti-swivel movement or something. I hear that petitions work really well.

The price from model to model is generally the exact same or it even goes down. I fail to see where the price of a body went up, especially because of video or live view or screen is concerned. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 27, 2010 13:50 |  #250

Todd Lambert wrote in post #10800969 (external link)
The price from model to model is generally the exact same or it even goes down. I fail to see where the price of a body went up, especially because of video or live view or screen is concerned. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Concerning the 1D(s), which is what the context is, I don't think a 1D/1Ds has ever been cheaper than the model it replaces. In fact, the price increase has generally been dramatic.

Even so, concerning the other model lines, they could be even cheaper (!). :D

HyperYagami wrote in post #10800963 (external link)
you're confused "what you don't like" with "bad features".

You're confusing "bad feature" with "unecessary and unwanted."

yes please give one.

Google it yourself.

while you're at at, go and say that to the canon p&s crowd about the uselessness of swivel screen and see what they say.

I'm sorry, did we just become the "p&s crowd?" Then it's worse than I thought.

- James -
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 27, 2010 13:51 |  #251

Todd Lambert wrote in post #10800969 (external link)
Yeah, well... maybe you need to go organize an anti-swivel movement or something. I hear that petitions work really well.

not to mention canon has been doing swivel screen for years and years, and pretty much everything is tried and true. so suddenly they started breaking and driving the cost way up just because it's on a SLR for the 1st time?

jesus.

5D3 and a few lens
es.

HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 27, 2010 13:53 |  #252

Dekka wrote in post #10800983 (external link)
You're confusing "bad feature" with "unecessary and unwanted to me."

fixed.

Google it yourself.

proof.

"p&s crowd?"

feeling superior just you have a 1d3?

5D3 and a few lens
es.

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 27, 2010 13:54 |  #253

HyperYagami wrote in post #10801001 (external link)
feeling superior just you have a 1d3?

:rolleyes:

- James -
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

alt4852
Goldmember
3,419 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 27, 2010 13:56 |  #254

Todd Lambert wrote in post #10800933 (external link)
I still fail to see how this affects anyone who doesn't want it. I mean, if you don't want the screen to flip out, then don't flip it out!

For those who would use it, it's a great addition, even to the 1D series. I have a feeling that just like live view and video, this is going to be a fact of life, so for those against this, you might want to get used to it, because it's coming.

thankfully, i think your predictions are a little too optimistic for articulating screens.

at least with the 1-series, canon has always valued dependability over convenience and i hope they continue that tradition. i see a flip screen like the mode dial. it may be easier to use, but it's a detriment to the reliability of the camera. you can disable video in a menu and never know it was there, but you can't disable a hinge. just like the dial, the chance if you engaging it are relatively high.

5D4 | Z21 | 35L2 | 50L | 85L2 | 135L

Zerimar
Goldmember
3,529 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 27, 2010 14:00 |  #255

I'm disappointed that there was no 1Ds MkIV announcement. :(

Rick Rose - Add me! (external link) Photography Los Angeles California Hasselblad H2 x2 + Phase One IQ150 | Canon 5D MkII | RRS TVC-34L BH-55
HC 35 f3.5 | HC 100 f2.2 | HC 120 f4 Macro |HC 50-110 f3.5-4.5 | 85 f1.2 MkII L | 100 f2.8 Macro | 16-35 f2.8L II | 24-70 f2.8L II | Profoto + Mola
Gear List | Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

38,266 views & 0 likes for this thread
Anyone disappointed by today's releases?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.