Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 26 Aug 2010 (Thursday) 06:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Anyone disappointed by today's releases?

snowboarder
400 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 27, 2010 14:02 |  #256

CountryBoy wrote in post #10799894 (external link)
I agree , I really thought the 400mm 5.6 would be next .

This lens won't show up now for at least next few years.
If Canon might loose one sale of the new 500 f4, they won't risk it.
Look at 60D - why didn't they include the focus micro-adjustment?
Would it make this camera more expensive? No, it's only one software option,
would add $0 to the camera price.
But they couldn't risk any 7D sale lost. They wanted to have the extra option between
Rebel and 7D, but they didn't want to loose any sale of the more expensive camera...
All they do is trying to make as much money as they can still make.
If they release a new small mirrorless system, it would kill a lot of D-SLR profit.
So they will wait as long as they possibly can. Any D-SLR profit now is free,
no R&D spendings anymore, nothing.
The answer to all that is pretty simple - stop buying all those new toys just because
they are new. If they see the money lost, they will do something.

You're welcome to visit my website: lenticulartravel.com (external link)

sponsored links
Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,643 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Aug 27, 2010 14:03 |  #257

Yeah, but I don't think a hinge is going to all of the sudden, break if you don't use it. So, if you like your screen fixed on the back, then don't open the hinge. Problem solved.

Canon GL2's which are arguably the most reliable workhorse, professional video camera around, have pop-out screens. You don't see any sudden catastrophe from those. They are exceptionally high quality, and mine worked the same as day one, for years.

I'm not talking about cheezy, plastic bodies here...

CountryBoy
"Tired of Goldmember label"
5,168 posts
Joined May 2006

Aug 27, 2010 14:05 |  #258

snowboarder wrote in post #10801041 (external link)
This lens won't show up now for at least next few years.
If Canon might loose one sale of the new 500 f4, they won't risk it.
Look at 60D - why didn't they include the focus micro-adjustment?
Would it make this camera more expensive? No, it's only one software option,
would add $0 to the camera price.
But they couldn't risk any 7D sale lost. They wanted to have the extra option between
Rebel and 7D, but they didn't want to loose any sale of the more expensive camera...
All they do is trying to make as much money as they can still make.
If they release a new small mirrorless system, it would kill a lot of D-SLR profit.
So they will wait as long as they possibly can. Any D-SLR profit now is free,
no R&D spendings anymore, nothing.
The answer to all that is pretty simple - stop buying all those new toys just because
they are new. If they see the money lost, they will do something.

I don't agree with that . There is too much price difference to worry about that.

Hi

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 27, 2010 14:06 |  #259

I was going to point this out but you beat me to it Todd...

Even their newest all-digital (records to CF) camera has a swing-out, adjustable LCD screen in addition to the EV.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

alt4852
Goldmember
3,419 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 27, 2010 14:10 |  #260

Todd Lambert wrote in post #10801045 (external link)
Yeah, but I don't think a hinge is going to all of the sudden, break if you don't use it. So, if you like your screen fixed on the back, then don't open the hinge. Problem solved.

Canon GL2's which are arguably the most reliable workhorse, professional video camera around, have pop-out screens. You don't see any sudden catastrophe from those. They are exceptionally high quality, and mine worked the same as day one, for years.

as i mentioned in an earlier post, i've had other small devices where the hinge will catch on things and open, or just get loose over time. i think the analogy to the mode dial is pretty fair. can't you also say, "if you don't want the camera to switch from manual mode to bulb, don't move it. problem solved." however, we all know that we use these cameras in pretty rough conditions. it's not like live view or video. those two have to be deliberately activated in order to interfere with normal use of the camera (or the unluckiest combination of accidental button presses possible).

i've seen the comparison to the GL2 before, and i don't think that's a valid defense. have you seen the screen on the GL2? that part alone is half the size of our cameras. in order to make it so tough, it had to be big and bulky. to do that on a camera body.. that just introduces a whole new set of inconveniences.

5D4 | Z21 | 35L2 | 50L | 85L2 | 135L

Kronie
Goldmember
2,183 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 27, 2010 14:11 |  #261

Really there is nothing I'm interested in or need in this update. Well, I would take the 500 F/4 IS as a gift but I would never buy one.....

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 27, 2010 14:11 |  #262

Todd Lambert wrote in post #10801045 (external link)

The GL2 is also not weather-sealed and is intended for an entirely different application.

I've owned an XL-2 and I can assure you there's nothing special about the plastic. In fact, the included "L" lens is made from some of the chintziest plastic ever to grace a camera. But, then again, it, like the GL2, aren't designed to be used in the same manner as the damn-near indestructable 1D(s) is.

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

snowboarder
400 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 27, 2010 14:11 |  #263

CountryBoy wrote in post #10801064 (external link)
I don't agree with that . There is too much price difference to worry about that.

Do you know how many possible 500 f4 buyers would consider 400 f5.6 instead,
if this lens was up to today's standards? A lot. I know quite many people who
didn't want to get 500 f4 tele, they waited as long as possible, but at the end,
they decided they wouldn't wait any longer and paid for it.
This lens is not a professional lens the way 400 f2.8 and 300 f2.8 are, many buyers
are wealthy hobbyists who like to shoot animals and birds.
That's why Canon will postpone the release of the 400 f5.6L IS as long as they can.

Remember, with the increased resolution of today's sensors, 7D + 400mm
will give you much more details than 20D + 500mm

You're welcome to visit my website: lenticulartravel.com (external link)

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 27, 2010 14:13 |  #264

snowboarder wrote in post #10801107 (external link)

Do you know how many people who really need the 500 f/4 wouldn't give the 400 f/5.6 a passing thought regardless of version?

Sorry but you're comparing Apples to Kiwi Fruit...

Jay

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 27, 2010 14:14 |  #265

didn't want to get 500 f4 tele, they waited as long as possible, but at the end,
This lens is not a professional lens the way 400 f2.8 and 300 f2.8 are, many buyers
That's why Canon will postpone the release of the 400 f5.6L IS as long as they can.

This does not rhyme.

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 27, 2010 14:16 |  #266

Dekka wrote in post #10801125 (external link)
This does not rhyme.

bw!

Jay

CountryBoy
"Tired of Goldmember label"
5,168 posts
Joined May 2006

Aug 27, 2010 14:22 |  #267

Remember, with the increased resolution of today's sensors, 7D + 400mm
will give you much more details than 20D + 500mm

Most people who can afford the 400mm 5.6 and want IS , will buy the 100-400mm L or one of the new Sigmas . Not a lens that is way out of their price range . In the case of the Sigmas , Canon is actually losing money.

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #10801123 (external link)
Do you know how many people who really need the 500 f/4 wouldn't give the 400 f/5.6 a passing thought regardless of version?

Sorry but you're comparing Apples to Kiwi Fruit...

Right , there's a "little" price difference .

Hi

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,643 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Aug 27, 2010 14:28 |  #268

LOL!

You guys make some good points, and I generally agree with the potential downside of an adjustable screen. I just think that with the right engineering and with what's available today, we could have pretty bullet proof screens that are weather sealed, thin, firm, and address all of these issues.

I don't think Canon is dumb enough to put this on their flagship without addressing these things. However, with the nature of the camera business today (feature-itis) Canon is going to want to put these things on the camera. They've been a proven success in other segments and it's a BIG item that they can add to their cameras that is much easier to do than creating noiseless ISO 12800.

I'm going on record as saying that these will be a certainty on all camera bodies within 3 years - probably much less. (I'm a big boy, I'll own up to this, and just to make things fun, if I'm wrong, I'll eat my CF card)

SiaoP
Goldmember
1,406 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 27, 2010 14:36 |  #269

Blame the economy for the high prices :(

My Flickr (external link) | Gear List

alt4852
Goldmember
3,419 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 27, 2010 15:02 |  #270

Todd Lambert wrote in post #10801223 (external link)
I'm going on record as saying that these will be a certainty on all camera bodies within 3 years - probably much less. (I'm a big boy, I'll own up to this, and just to make things fun, if I'm wrong, I'll eat my CF card)

careful, nick simcheck already promised me a cookie if canon doesn't phase out mirrors in our cameras within five years. i could use the entertainment of watching you eat a CF card while i enjoy my snack. ;)

5D4 | Z21 | 35L2 | 50L | 85L2 | 135L

sponsored links

38,278 views & 0 likes for this thread
Anyone disappointed by today's releases?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.