Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Aug 2010 (Friday) 11:11
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Would you like to see some new DSLRs introduced without video?"
Yes, a 5D or 7D class w/o video would be great.
46.7%
No, I like this whole "fusion" thing and would like video on all new cameras.
53.3%

92 voters, 92 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A Comment, and Poll - New DSLRs w/o Video Anyone?

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 27, 2010 13:13 |  #31

HyperYagami wrote in post #10800739 (external link)
I know! All they need is to bring a camera to that market that only attract a tiny amount of buyers with absolutely minimal amount of profits, that's what keeps a company afloat!

Well theoretically they have already designed it all, so it would be cheaper to make.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

sponsored links
Kiwikat
Goldmember
1,024 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 27, 2010 13:20 |  #32

HyperYagami wrote in post #10800748 (external link)
which is quite a same argument as "If i want to take pics, I'd buy a P&S".

No, it really isn't. Camcorders have several features that trump video on DSLR's. Power zooming and autofocus that doesn't suck are the two of the most important ones.

There is nothing a P&S does better than a DSLR when it comes to shooting stills, unless you are into a lot of the fluff that comes with some P&S's, like wacky shooting modes. Though now they are adding that fluff into the 60D...

"Would you really want to be the Canon rep responsible for dealing with POTN?" -FlyingPhotog
Nikon D7100 Gripped | 18-140G VR | 150-600 VC 'Tamzooka'

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,147 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Aug 27, 2010 13:26 |  #33

timnosenzo wrote in post #10800159 (external link)
But they've already designed it, and they've implemented it across their line. It would likely be MORE expensive for them to manufacture/package/in​ventory/ship/market 2 separate lines of the same camera just to offer both.

Precisely. A sub-line would not cost less, it would cost more than the main line.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 27, 2010 13:27 |  #34

tkbslc wrote in post #10800797 (external link)
Well theoretically they have already designed it all, so it would be cheaper to make.

no. you need new bodies, new components, resources allocations, more manpower and everything, while you can't sell it with reasonable profit margin and not killing your existing higher-end products.

it make totally entirely completely no sense from business standpoint.

you think if they bring out the exact 5dc, all these whiners won't whine about "waaaaaaaaaaaaahhh, no 24MP sensor from 5d2!!!" or "meeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhh, no super duper LCD from T2i"?

5D3 and a few lens
es.

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 27, 2010 13:28 |  #35

Kiwikat wrote in post #10800837 (external link)
No, it really isn't. Camcorders have several features that trump video on DSLR's. Power zooming and autofocus that doesn't suck are the two of the most important ones.

However, to get the same level of image quality that a dSLR can give (both electronically and aesthetically), you'd need a digital cinema camera system which would have neither power zoom nor autofocus.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 27, 2010 13:31 |  #36

camcorders won't have the shallow DOF. the low-light capability nor the IQ either.

There is nothing a P&S does better than a DSLR when it comes to shooting stills

yes, it's called size and convenience.

you can say you don't care about DOF nor IQ in video, i can say i don't care about power zooming or AF too, and i don't need super duper AF all the time when i take pics either.

each has their places, please don't make blunt statements.

5D3 and a few lens
es.

xcel730
603 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 27, 2010 13:32 as a reply to  @ RDKirk's post |  #37

I don't think Canon will remove video from their dSLR.

I see people debating about articulating LCD because of its inheritant weakness, but I'm not sure if I'm seeing the logic of removing video. I don't think having the video in the dSLR makes an impact on its reliability. The cost of NOT having video is going to be marginal at best.

There are a lot of features in my camera that I don't use, but it doesn't bother me that it has green box mode, all creative modes, sRAW, color shifting, etc. I just ignore them.

________
[Gear List]
Quote: If the grass is always greener on the other side, then maybe you should start working on your own grass.

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,147 posts
Joined May 2004

Aug 27, 2010 13:33 |  #38

tkbslc wrote in post #10800797 (external link)

That's like saying it would be cheaper for Honda to re-establish a line to build their 1975 Civic on the older, less efficient, less automated line. Sorry, but no, it would be horrendously more expensive.

Canon has said before that when they design each new model, making assembly techniques more efficient is a major goal of introducing a new model in the first place. They introduce new models not just to sell more features, but also to lower costs with constantly improved assembly techniques.

The new 60D, for instance, may be underwhelming in terms of new features, but it's a sure bet that it's substantially cheaper to build.

Going backwards in time to a design with less efficient assembly design would not be cheaper, it would be more expensive.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

xcel730
603 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 27, 2010 13:43 as a reply to  @ RDKirk's post |  #39

As I said, I don't mind having video in dSLR provided that Canon DOESN'T focus all their R&D dollars on designing better video capturing capabilities on a still camera while foregoing more important needs such as reducing noise at high ISOs.

________
[Gear List]
Quote: If the grass is always greener on the other side, then maybe you should start working on your own grass.

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Aug 27, 2010 13:46 |  #40

gardengirl13 wrote in post #10800461 (external link)
... like my old A1 ... ISO from 50 to 12800

Where did you get the ASA12800 film?

Back to the question at hand, I agree that video mode needs to go away. And as long as we're getting rid of features that nobody needs, that shutter priority mode needs to go away too. I never use it so I'm going to assume that nobody else has any reason to use it and leaving off features will really make the price come down, right?

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 27, 2010 13:48 |  #41

Everyone just needs to get 1DMkIIIs or IVs where you can remove modes you don't want...

Problem Solved... Next!?

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

DetlevCM
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 27, 2010 14:00 |  #42

Considering that we do not loose anything with the inclusion of video I can't quite see the point of a "Photos only" camera - at least without significant other changes like a much larger sensor that would explain why video wasn't inlcuded.

5D MK II AF Satisfaction Poll | Reduced Kit List
A Basic Guide to Photographyexternal link | Websiteexternal link
Flickrexternal link | Artflakesexternal link | Blurbexternal link

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 27, 2010 14:08 |  #43

The only people that video pisses off are people who think cameras will be cheaper without it.

Which is simply not true

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 27, 2010 14:09 |  #44

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #10800977 (external link)
Everyone just needs to get 1DMkIIIs or IVs where you can remove modes you don't want...

Problem Solved... Next!?

Ahhhh this feature of the 1d3 is so glorious! Effortless switching between my three modes. Bulb, M and TV. Nothing else to clutter me. Love love love.

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

ingraman
169 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 27, 2010 14:13 |  #45

I don't care much about video, but I can't wrap my head around why someone would actually not want it. It's like someone buying an Ipod touch and complaining that it's not a pure mp3 player. I follow a lot of tech products (Kindle, Apple, etc) but never really came across another subgroup that actually resisted new features.

sponsored links

4,814 views & 0 likes for this thread
A Comment, and Poll - New DSLRs w/o Video Anyone?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.