Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 29 Aug 2010 (Sunday) 12:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Soccer Photos - C&C Please

ajaffe
792 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 29, 2010 12:52 |  #1

Hello everyone. Soccer season is in full swing and I wanted to post some images that I have for comment and criticism. I have been shooting for about 6 or so months now and wanted to see if my image quality is on the right track. Below are a few samples and the rest are on my site: www.jafferino.com (external link) , thanks.

Also, yes I hate my backgrounds in some of the shots. I am working on making my 70-200 reach as far as possible to obliterate the backgrounds into a nice bokeh.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

www.jaffe.photo

sponsored links
captainpenguin
250 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 29, 2010 13:02 |  #2

I think you have got to crop much tighter in PP if you cant do it in the original shot to really concentrate on the peak of the action,have a look at my footy shots on my Flickr to get an idea of what I mean

There's A lady Who's Sure All That Glitters Is Gold
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/captainpenguin/ (external link)
[URL][URL]http://cliff​y366.blogspot.co.uk/[U​RL]

primoz
POTN Sports Photographer of the year 2005
2,532 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Aug 30, 2010 02:10 |  #3

#1 is kinda ok, I have no idea what #2 is suppose to be, except to be deleted instead of attached here for CC (no offense for this), and #3&4 have right timing, but cropping is way off. Crop tighter, much much tighter, and with tighter crop you get really great #3 & 4.

PhotoSI (external link) | Latest sport photos (external link)http://www.photo.si (external link)

ajaffe
THREAD ­ STARTER
792 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 30, 2010 19:07 |  #4

primoz wrote in post #10814679 (external link)
#1 is kinda ok, I have no idea what #2 is suppose to be, except to be deleted instead of attached here for CC (no offense for this), and #3&4 have right timing, but cropping is way off. Crop tighter, much much tighter, and with tighter crop you get really great #3 & 4.

2 was not meant to be put in, I had the wrong image link copied. But to explain it I was hoping to capture a sequence where the team in the foreground scored and to get the bench players celebrating out of focus and the field players celebrating in the background in focus. No offense taken. I know I am new and I love to hear things that help me work smarter and harder.

My biggest fear with cropping these images is that I will get a soft image since I am shooting with a 70-200 2.8 that does not have a lot of reach. I am getting a 2x TC in tomorrow and I should have updates that are hopefully shot much tighter so I do not have to crop out half a photo.

Thanks for the replies both of you.

www.jaffe.photo

dinny66
695 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Sep 02, 2010 02:00 |  #5

I would echo the above really.
Crop PP if poss to focus on the action, otherwise get right down to the sidelines if that's allowed.
70-200 is a fine lens, didn't say what body you're using. Watch the TC, it will slow down the AF so try and allow for that before hitting the tit.
But don't worry when the action is away from you and you're sitting there thinking 'I wish I had a longer lens to get that' as in 5 mins they'll be all over you again. 2x45mins is plenty of time to get the action.
Try and keep the ball in the image and and look for facial expressions (headers/tackles/goals​/saves). Not forgetting celebrations of course!
I love shooting football (soccer), I do it every week.
At least your weather is better!

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Best of luck, it will come.

Mike

2ndAllin
56 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 02, 2010 16:25 |  #6

The 70-200 is great for youth soccer if you can roam the sidelines. The vast majority of the shots in my soccer galleries were taken with a 70-200 f/2.8. As stated above, the TC will certainly slow down your focus speed. Just wait for the action to come to you, or be prepared to crop...a lot.

IMAGE: http://www.lodgetrail.com/img/s5/v4/p236281710-4.jpg

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png' | Redirected to error image by ZENFOLIO PROTECTED

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png' | Redirected to error image by ZENFOLIO PROTECTED

IMAGE: http://www.lodgetrail.com/img/s9/v15/p723528885-4.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.lodgetrail.com/img/s8/v9/p448026237-4.jpg

http://www.lodgetrail.​com/portfolio (external link)

slimenta
369 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 02, 2010 16:28 as a reply to  @ dinny66's post |  #7

You can look at my own soccer shots on my site below. My comments would be:

Crop should be much tighter. Switch between vertical and horizontal shooting depending on the situation. If horizontal ok to loosen up crop to get multiple players to tell a story. Depth of field is critical, shoot wide open. The one image I checked was shot at f8. Shutter speed should be 1/1250 or greater. Shoot from a low position upwards. Watch your backgrounds.

www.stevenlimentanipho​tography.com (external link)
http://www.sportsshoot​er.com/members.html?id​=8865 (external link)
1DX x 2, 1D Mark IV X 4, 5D Mark III x 3, 200-400, 4.0, 400 2.8 (II), 300 2.8, 200 2.0, 70-200 2.8 (II),135 2.0, 85, 1.2, 50 1.2, 24 1.4, 17-55 2.8, 24-70 2.8, 16-35 2.8, 28-300 3.5-5.6, 100-400 4.5-5.6, 16-35, 2.8, 8-15, 4.0 fisheye, 1.4 X and 2X TC

ajaffe
THREAD ­ STARTER
792 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 02, 2010 20:12 |  #8

Thanks for the tips everyone. I think I am going to ditch the TC and just be more patient. I find myself forcing way too many shots instead of letting them come to me.

www.jaffe.photo

ajaffe
THREAD ­ STARTER
792 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 04, 2010 13:07 |  #9

Got out again today without the 2x and had MUCH better results. The first set was taken on a gripped 50D and the second on a 1D2n. Again, criticism and comments are welcome. Thanks.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

www.jaffe.photo

slimenta
369 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 04, 2010 15:26 as a reply to  @ ajaffe's post |  #10

Similar comments to those made previously. Crops need to be tighter on almost all shots. Backgrounds with poles do not work. DOF is critical. Many of your shots do not have a shallow DOF suggesting that you shot with a high aperture. Focus is mor difficult with your lens wide open. But your keepers will be better. Make certain that a shot tells a real story. A players back rarely does that. A player with the ball far from a challenging player is of little value.

www.stevenlimentanipho​tography.com (external link)
http://www.sportsshoot​er.com/members.html?id​=8865 (external link)
1DX x 2, 1D Mark IV X 4, 5D Mark III x 3, 200-400, 4.0, 400 2.8 (II), 300 2.8, 200 2.0, 70-200 2.8 (II),135 2.0, 85, 1.2, 50 1.2, 24 1.4, 17-55 2.8, 24-70 2.8, 16-35 2.8, 28-300 3.5-5.6, 100-400 4.5-5.6, 16-35, 2.8, 8-15, 4.0 fisheye, 1.4 X and 2X TC

ajaffe
THREAD ­ STARTER
792 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 04, 2010 15:36 |  #11

I got a bit confused on your advice slimenta so I perused your website for examples and found a lot of similarities between our photos and in what you said does not work. Now I am even more confused. I can see what you are saying about picture 3 though, I wanted to keep 13 in frame because I felt it added to the hectic'ness of the penalty area and helped highlight her concentration on the ball.

I shot almost all of work at 2.8 with the exception of a few early ones that I did not post that were done at f5.6ish because I was switching between Tv and M. I am using a 70-200 so getting close enough for good separation is a bit more difficult than if I had a 300 or 400 prime.

But thank you, I will keep your advice in mind and work on getting better.

www.jaffe.photo

dinny66
695 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Sep 05, 2010 03:37 |  #12

They look loads better mate. On #3 though trim out the two players on the right (poss even 3) and trim a bit off the left and top.

Goalposts are part of the game and sometimes are unavoidable. Were you sitting down or standing up? Sitting down low on a short stool and aim slightly up can help.

Mike

ajaffe
THREAD ­ STARTER
792 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 05, 2010 13:01 |  #13

dinny66 wrote in post #10852748 (external link)
They look loads better mate. On #3 though trim out the two players on the right (poss even 3) and trim a bit off the left and top.

Goalposts are part of the game and sometimes are unavoidable. Were you sitting down or standing up? Sitting down low on a short stool and aim slightly up can help.

How about this?

IMAGE NOT FOUND

The vast majority of my images are taken while on one knee or sitting down. My location dictates this as the team I am shooting played a 4 3 3 with lots of diagonal and wing play so I am positioning myself behind the end line to catch the wingers, forward, and overlapping runs from the midfielders and full backs. I am 6ft 10inches though so I have a taller angle even when I am down low.

Cheers, thanks for the comments and criticism.

www.jaffe.photo

dinny66
695 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Sep 05, 2010 14:16 |  #14

More like this. The players on the right don't add to the image, at least for me.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Mike

ajaffe
THREAD ­ STARTER
792 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 05, 2010 14:20 |  #15

I see you like 13 as well. I have a version like this but the rail comment made me over think it so I cut her out. I just feel she adds to the shot as it is more balanced.

Thanks Mike.

www.jaffe.photo

sponsored links

5,196 views & 0 likes for this thread
Soccer Photos - C&C Please
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.