Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 29 Aug 2010 (Sunday) 18:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Advice on lightning. First try.

Rivest
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 29, 2010 18:27 |  #1

Hi, guys :)

I just received my off-camera flash triggers, the Yongnuo RF-602. I am completly new to studio lightning, reading and learning as much as possible. The setup I had was 430ex to my left, bounce off the ceiling in the middle between the model and the flash on 1:1 power. I also had a big construction light more to the left, in direction of the model. I did my WB adjustment on camera. My settings were mainly ISO 400, 1/100 and F6.3 - F5/6 using my 70-200 F4. What can I improve on this picture? I find that the background turned out much greyer than I thought. Any advice, comment or critique. Don't hesitate don't be hars if you need to. Thanks for taking your time :)

Edit: After uploading, that picture is way softer than it is in reality. Also, I could get more pics of that photoshot if you want. If the girlfriend don't mind ;)

IMAGE: http://a.imageshack.us/img90/483/img1175k.jpg

Hi, I'm David.

sponsored links
rhys216
Goldmember
1,814 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 29, 2010 19:00 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

I actually like the grey here as opposed to pure white as most people new to this end up with some of the image white and the area near the subject is grey, but here the image looks uniform.

If you want to blow it to pure white, you need to light the background separately from both sides and use a white reflective material to act as a mirror under the subject (search tileboard) and 'reflect' the background colour. You don't want to use a matte surface and simply try to blow it to white as you won't be able to do it without over exposing your subject.

Edit: also why don't you shoot at F4 around ISO200 instead, is the lens not sharp?

Rivest
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 29, 2010 19:08 |  #3

Thanks for taking your time to answer my questions. I will think of that next time for sure. I might swell invest in a cheap umbrella/stand/bracket setup. I do not plan to do this proffesionnaly anytime soon, simply for fun. Apart from that any tips to improve the overall picture? Maybe settings or light placement or equipment anything? Thanks again, I appreciate that :)

Hi, I'm David.

blindman9135
165 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 29, 2010 19:30 |  #4

Whenever i worked with 2 different lights (tungsten and flash) i got weird red colors... my models skin was way off and when i corrected it her shirt and eyes changed colors. just watch your colors when lighting. if i can suggest something, pick up a Yongnuo flash, their about $70 and they work in manual and E-TTL. either that or use daylight and your 1 fill flash, or even reflectors. Westcott makes one on B+H for $10. I'm Assuming your work light is Tungsten like mine was.

I also like the Gray background, it matches the shadows and the fact that there are shadows underneath her give it depth, not like the poster models where everything is blown out for an infinite background. Great work!

5D Mark ii, Canon 24-105, Sigma 17-35, Canon 50 f/1.8, YN460 II Flash(s).

Rivest
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 29, 2010 19:46 |  #5

Thanks for that. Will post more later to give you a better idea of the overall shoot. Keep on the tips :)

Hi, I'm David.

Rivest
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 29, 2010 23:22 |  #6

Finally had the chance to PP them a bit. What do you think for a first try at studio lighting?

IMAGE: http://a.imageshack.us/img251/2582/img1108z.jpg
IMAGE: http://a.imageshack.us/img256/6776/img1182gv.jpg
IMAGE: http://a.imageshack.us/img17/9468/img1251zb.jpg

Hi, I'm David.

Rivest
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 30, 2010 01:21 |  #7

Here's what my setup looked like. Not ideal as I can't put any light form (flash, fill light, key light) on my right because I'm right next to a wall :( So I had to put both on my left. Do you like my results. I need critique from the outside, not only family members ;)

IMG NOTICE: [NOT AN IMAGE URL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

Hi, I'm David.

rhys216
Goldmember
1,814 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 30, 2010 05:22 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

Be careful not to overdo vignettes, the first and the last are a little overdone in my opinion.
If working in lightroom I also prefer to increase the feathering to they look seamless.

sponsored links

1,124 views & 0 likes for this thread
Advice on lightning. First try.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.