Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 31 Aug 2010 (Tuesday) 19:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

430EXII-taking it off camera

jeljohns
334 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 31, 2010 19:36 |  #1

I have a 50D and a 430EXII. I went to a workshop about off camera lighting and now I'd like to experiment. The workshop did not explain HOW to do this though. What would it take to use my flash wirelessly off camera?

sponsored links
john ­ stakes
424 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 31, 2010 19:44 |  #2

this

Canon 50D, T2i, 70-200 2.8L, kit lenses
My real name is Curtis. John Stakes is my old DBA.
[URL]Blogger[URL="http://www.cnote​vp.blogspot.com"]

drfleury
38 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 31, 2010 19:48 |  #3

jeljohns wrote in post #10825930 (external link)
I have a 50D and a 430EXII. I went to a workshop about off camera lighting and now I'd like to experiment. The workshop did not explain HOW to do this though. What would it take to use my flash wirelessly off camera?

How much was that workshop that they didn't at least touch on the "how" at least a bit?

I've used an ST-E2, sold it. Too limited in range outdoors. I have a cheap ebay trigger (RF-602 from above link) that works with my flash on the 2nd floor of my house, and me in the basement. Had to test it.. lol

dan

Canon 50D | Canon 15-85mm IS | Canon 70-200mm f/4 | Canon 300mm f/4 IS |

jeljohns
THREAD ­ STARTER
334 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 31, 2010 19:51 as a reply to  @ drfleury's post |  #4

They talked a lot about Pocket Wizards, but didn't go into specifics about how to use them with different camera models or what PWs I would need. I will be the first to admit I am CLUELESS about flash, it boggles my mind to even think about it. All I know is I want something wireless with ETTL. Not sure where to even begin.

TheRoff
177 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 31, 2010 19:58 as a reply to  @ jeljohns's post |  #5

Follow this Blog (external link)and read through the lighting archives.

Larry

The Roff (external link)
Website (external link)
5DMII; 7D

wunhang
726 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 01, 2010 01:15 |  #6

jeljohns wrote in post #10826018 (external link)
They talked a lot about Pocket Wizards, but didn't go into specifics about how to use them with different camera models or what PWs I would need. I will be the first to admit I am CLUELESS about flash, it boggles my mind to even think about it. All I know is I want something wireless with ETTL. Not sure where to even begin.

Wireless ETTL will cost a real pretty penny. If you did your research, you would know that the Pocket Wizards are not cheap. I'm only starting out with off-camera flash myself, and it took a back and forth debating for me to figure out that it's probably better for me to get the rf-602s and learn to set the lighting on manual instead of plopping down more money for something like PWs that would give me a crutch in the form of ETTL.

Canon 5D IV | Canon 5D II | XSI (Infrared modified) | SL1 | 16-35mm L f/4.0 IS | 24-70mm L f/2.8 II | 40mm f/2.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200mm L f/4.0 IS | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | C/Y 28mm f/2.8 | Tamron 35mm f/1.8 VC | C/Y 50mm f/1.7 | Zeiss 100mm MP
::SmugMug (external link)::

sponsored links

1,067 views & 0 likes for this thread
430EXII-taking it off camera
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.