Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 03 Sep 2010 (Friday) 03:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First Time Telescope - Ok for Me?

Cosha
Goldmember
1,213 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 03, 2010 03:48 |  #1

Hi All!

Love the work your all doing!

Im looking at gettin a telescope for night time viewing and also to use it in day time too!

This is from my local telescope shop and i was wondering what people though of this:

As I can see its F/5-F/6 @ 660mm thats fine becaise i think this will also be ok to some wildlife photography too?

Thoughts Please! Like most i dont have an unlimited budget :(

CELESTRON NEXSTAR 102 SLT

The NexStar 102 SLT short-tubed refractor was inspired by the popularity of Celestron's previous short tube refractor models. You'll find that astronomical viewing is a delight with this large and powerful 4" aperture. The 102 SLT offers a 63% increase in image brightness over 80mm models. This short-tube telescope with a fast f/5 optical system gives images that are bright and crisp. And the 102 SLT, like the other models in the SLT Series, comes with a fully computerized hand control with a database of over 4,000 celestial objects! With its pre-assembled, adjustable steel tripod, the NexStar 102 SLT can be up and ready to use in a matter of minutes. The new SkyAlign alignment technology and the included StarPointer Finderscope with a red LED makes aligning a breeze. Because of its wide 1.7 ° field of view, the NexStar 102 SLT is optimal for scanning large areas of the sky and for superb terrestrial (land) viewing. A wonderful entry to mid-level astronomical scope, with the use of an optional erect image diagonal, the 102 SLT can also be used as a land-based spotting telescope.

The NexStar 102 SLT Specifications:

102mm (4") diameter Refractor
Eyepieces 25mm (26x) & 9mm (73x)
660mm Focal Length
f/6 Focal Ratio
Motorized Altazimuth Mount
4,000+ object database Weight: 14 lb

Standard Features and Accessories Include:
Computerized hand control with 4,000+ object database Quick-release fork arm mount, optical tube and accessory tray for quick
no tool set up

SkyAlign allows you to align on any three bright celestial objects, making
for a fast and easy alignment process

Comes with “The Sky” Level 1 planetarium software and NSOL telescope
control software for controlling your telescope via computer

Internal battery compartment to prevent cord wrap during use
Sturdy stainless steel tripod
StarPointer finderscope to help with alignment
Auxiliary port for additional accessories such as GPS accessory
Motorized altazimuth mount and fully computerized hand control
U.S. and International city database to easily set your location Flash upgradeable hand control software and motor control units.

Oh...Hello :)

sponsored links
Adrena1in
Goldmember
1,703 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 03, 2010 08:11 |  #2

Hi Cosha,

No experience of that scope per se, but I've got a 400mm f/5 Refractor and I've done a little of both daytime and nighttime viewing/imaging with it. While Achromatic Refractors aren't the best, (for better quality you want an Apochromatic Refractor), the Celestron is at least not a rip-off. Not like some of the uber-cheap things you see for sale on eBay sometimes, claiming false credentials.

What's more, the package with GOTO means you'll find it a lot easier navigating your way around the night sky and finding new objects, rather than spending ages searching, (because many objects are very dim and difficult to see.)

I would say that all in all it'd be a good starter scope, (but wait for someone who's owned one to confirm.)

Canon EOS 450D, Sigma 18-200mm, Canon 50mm f/2.5 Macro, 2x TC, Revelation 12" f/5 Dobsonian, Mintron PD2285-EX webcam.

Cosha
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,213 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 03, 2010 09:33 |  #3

Thanks for your info! Thats why i asked i guess the GOTO is an automatic devices that will move the scope to a correct location?

archer1960
Goldmember
4,930 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 03, 2010 09:49 |  #4

Cosha wrote in post #10843098 (external link)
Thanks for your info! Thats why i asked i guess the GOTO is an automatic devices that will move the scope to a correct location?

Yes, that's what GOTO does; you select the object, and it points the telescope there. Of course for that to work well, you have to have the telescope aligned, but even if you're just somewhat close, the goto will get you somewhat close as well.

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

fogboundturtle
735 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 03, 2010 10:37 |  #5

This is an achromatic refractor. That means you will see some purple fringing under bright object (Chromatic Abberation). The mount is a little flimsy so it might be hard to keep everything stable.

Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 70D, Canon EF 24-105L, Tamron 150-600mm, Tamron 70-200 F2.8 DI VC USD, Sony A7r, Sony FE 55mm F1.8

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,630 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 03, 2010 10:39 |  #6

The optics on that scope is not recommended for photography , sorry . For visual it's ok but your going to have alot of CA (chromatic aberration (external link)) . Thats why the Apochromatic scopes are best , they have none or a minimum amount :

http://www.astronomics​.com …XRBCR0/product_​id/NS102SL (external link)

Cosha
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,213 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 03, 2010 11:48 |  #7

OK thank you very much! Any recomends from you guys that have been doing it for a while? Around that price range?

fogboundturtle
735 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 03, 2010 12:32 |  #8

Cosha wrote in post #10843883 (external link)
OK thank you very much! Any recomends from you guys that have been doing it for a while? Around that price range?

APO refractor gets expensive fast. My 127mm APO ED Triplet cost me 2000 USD

Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 70D, Canon EF 24-105L, Tamron 150-600mm, Tamron 70-200 F2.8 DI VC USD, Sony A7r, Sony FE 55mm F1.8

oldno7
Goldmember
1,168 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 03, 2010 15:05 as a reply to  @ fogboundturtle's post |  #9

Cosha
Forgive me if I'm hi-jacking your thread. I'm in the same boat as you. I have been looking at these 2 systems:
One I can afford, and one I'll need a little more funding.
Are either of these decent systems for Deep Sky?

http://www.telescope.c​om …matic-refractor-telescope (external link)

http://www.telescope.c​om …orial-refractor-telescope (external link)

Cosha
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,213 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 03, 2010 16:05 as a reply to  @ oldno7's post |  #10

No Problem, might aswell keep the topic together!

Adrena1in
Goldmember
1,703 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 03, 2010 16:28 |  #11

Of course, an Apo is going to be the way forward if you want to take seriously good photos, but it's not essential, and they do cost. You could get a 400mm f/6 Apo for around £250 - £400, but that's scope only...you'd still need the mount, and good ones are upwards of £700.

I think for learning that it's best to either buy cheap and see if the hobby grabs you, or buy secondhand as astronomy stuff holds its price pretty well.

And just as an example, here's M31, The Andromeda Galaxy, taken through a £60 cheap refractor. Not a patch on shots through an Apo, but I was quite pleased with it.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

Canon EOS 450D, Sigma 18-200mm, Canon 50mm f/2.5 Macro, 2x TC, Revelation 12" f/5 Dobsonian, Mintron PD2285-EX webcam.

Cosha
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,213 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 03, 2010 16:55 |  #12

That looks good for £60 i would be well happy with that!

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,630 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 03, 2010 17:03 |  #13

oldno7 wrote in post #10844918 (external link)
Cosha
Forgive me if I'm hi-jacking your thread. I'm in the same boat as you. I have been looking at these 2 systems:
One I can afford, and one I'll need a little more funding.
Are either of these decent systems for Deep Sky?

http://www.telescope.c​om …matic-refractor-telescope (external link)

http://www.telescope.c​om …orial-refractor-telescope (external link)

The first scope is an ED lens scope . Not as great as an APO but close as you can get with some great astrophotography . The second scope is a nice scope but an Achoromatic which will have CA but you can buy a Minus-Violet filter to use with astrophotography and it will produce some nice images . Just remember what is said about the mount . A Go-To would be great but a motor-driven will work but you definitly must learn how to manually Polar align the scope and mount and you must manually track for long exposers which would be a hard job cause i've done it for years but i haven't manually guided i several years now . A mount without go-to or motor driven will have to be manually moved on the axes to keep up with an object but not good for astrophotography .

sponsored links

3,554 views & 0 likes for this thread
First Time Telescope - Ok for Me?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.