Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Sep 2010 (Sunday) 02:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: -WARNING- Using Live View Near LASERS!

Imagineering
197 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 05, 2010 02:29 |  #1

Hi I was wondering if anyone has ever seen this or has any idea what this may be. I was shooting a job with my 1d mk3 and suddenly I noticed this weird cross grid pattern in my files. Ive tried clearing settings, pulling the battery, swapping cards, etc. its def in the body. It happened out of the blue. I figured Id ask before I send it back to canon service since its the weekend. This is just a shot of a white wall, the cross pattern is clear, but the dark and light shadow is also appearing as well.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

http://www.garibaldiph​oto.com (external link)
I love the images I get from my camera phone

sponsored links
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 05, 2010 02:37 |  #2

Is this the full frame or a crop?

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

dKweddings.net
Goldmember
1,472 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 05, 2010 02:40 |  #3

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #10852577 (external link)
Is this the full frame or a crop?

The 1D series is a 1.3x Crop.

BTW: OP, I never seen that before, sorry.

www.dKweddings.net (external link) || www.facebook.com/dKwed​dings (external link) || www.facebook.com/david​ucla (external link)

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 05, 2010 02:42 |  #4

Good Grief...

I said is this the full frame or is it a crop (of just part of the image?)

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Petri
281 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 05, 2010 02:43 as a reply to  @ dKweddings.net's post |  #5

I believe he was asking if this sample picture is a crop or not.

Have you tried viewing the pics on another computer? Is this grid visible also on the rear lcd of the 1DM3?

It does look like something is wrong. You probably need to send it in.

UK ­ DSLR ­ NEWBIE
67 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 05, 2010 06:39 as a reply to  @ Petri's post |  #6

Ive recently seen this blue cross before, however it was on a little white stick my wife peed on, not a camera :D unless your getting a new baby camera ie. 1000d in the next 9 months i think its a bad thing :cry:

5d II - 5D III - 24-70 L 2.8 - 70-200 L IS 2.8 and other stuff

ecub
Goldmember
1,487 posts
Joined May 2010

Sep 05, 2010 07:26 |  #7

Where was the last shot taken? I've seen a video of a laser light from a night club lighting hitting the sensor and causing something similar, although the line was white.

- Ed
Official Gear List
5D II | 7D | 16-35mm f/2.8L II | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L | 50mm f/1.2L USM | 85mm f/1.2L II | 100mm f/2.8L IS macro

hpulley
Goldmember
4,390 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 05, 2010 07:42 |  #8

The dark and light shadow looks like shutter trouble, not sure about the blue line as I haven't seen anything like that before but the bottom line is, off to Canon it goes. Sorry about your luck.

flickr (external link) 1DIIN 40D 1NRS 650 1.4xII EF12II Pel8 50f1.8I 28-80II 17-40L 24-70L 100-400L 177A 199A OC-E3 RS-80N3

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,414 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Sep 05, 2010 08:53 |  #9

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #10852592 (external link)
Good Grief...

I said is this the full frame or is it a crop (of just part of the image?)

I could see the misunderstanding too, I read it and though "the OP said the 1D MK3 and not the 1Ds MK3. :)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Imagineering
THREAD ­ STARTER
197 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 05, 2010 10:07 |  #10

ecub wrote in post #10853125 (external link)
Where was the last shot taken? I've seen a video of a laser light from a night club lighting hitting the sensor and causing something similar, although the line was white.

Yes I was shooting a job at a concert and there was green lasers lights being beamed out from the stage and they were aimed facing the direction I was shooting in! son of a ****! so did that smoke the sensor you think?

Thats the files tight from the camera, every frame now has that cross and shadow on it.

http://www.garibaldiph​oto.com (external link)
I love the images I get from my camera phone

hpulley
Goldmember
4,390 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 05, 2010 10:33 |  #11

Interesting if the laser did something that broke the readout for a few rows/columns on the matrix but the light/shadow looks like shutter. Can you do a mirror lockup and bulb/sensor manual clean to inspect the shutter blades and see if any are MIA or sticking?

flickr (external link) 1DIIN 40D 1NRS 650 1.4xII EF12II Pel8 50f1.8I 28-80II 17-40L 24-70L 100-400L 177A 199A OC-E3 RS-80N3

Badger49456
408 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 05, 2010 10:35 |  #12

Imagineering wrote in post #10853593 (external link)
Yes I was shooting a job at a concert and there was green lasers lights being beamed out from the stage and they were aimed facing the direction I was shooting in! son of a ****! so did that smoke the sensor you think?

Thats the files tight from the camera, every frame now has that cross and shadow on it.

That's crazy! Something I'll keep in the back of my head in the future, too.

flickr (external link)

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 05, 2010 10:38 |  #13

yeah I think the lasers are the culprit... I saw a video from a 5D MKII shooting a concert with those lasers...after the laser hit the camera you could immediately see lines forming inside the video footage.

www.monk3y.com (external link) | My GEAR

Mastamarek
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 05, 2010 10:39 |  #14

check out this vid:

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=J0TgaGePhJA (external link)

[Facebook® (external link)]
[imassmedia.pl (external link)]
[Flickr (external link)]
[My Blog (external link)]

luciddreamer
861 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 05, 2010 11:38 |  #15

I turned down a gig shooting for a light show company last year. I'm so glad I did now. They used lots of lasers, I was worried about that. Turns out I was right for a change!

materialism ~
preoccupation with or emphasis on material objects, comforts, and considerations, with a disinterest in or rejection of spiritual, intellectual, or cultural values.

sponsored links

256,725 views & 1 like for this thread
-WARNING- Using Live View Near LASERS!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.