Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 06 Sep 2010 (Monday) 16:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EOS 5D II AEB via Live View changes ISO?

johnny_boy
75 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 06, 2010 16:51 |  #1

I am still trying to get a hang of this camera and I was shooting last night, and I've noticed that when I do Auto Exposure Bracketing (AEB) via Live View mode, it will change the ISO settings on me, rather than just changing the shutter speed.

Is there a setting that I need to set, so it will only do shutter speed change only? When I shoot without the Live View, then it does the AEB correctly via only changing the shutter speed.

(I was shooing in basically Aperture priority mode, but saved as the C1 custom shooting mode on my camera).

sponsored links
apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,313 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 06, 2010 17:44 |  #2

You asked for it, you got it.

You can set a Canon camera in many ways. If you use Av, you tell the camera that one thing is fixed, and that's the aperture. Unless you also enable safety shift, in which case you add "as long as it's possible, then change the aperture too".
Or, if you set the camera to Auto ISO, you tell it that the aperture is fixed, and the shutter speed should vary, unless it's getting too slow for the focal length you are using, in which case you allow the camera to change the ISO setting instead, as long as that's sufficient, and then continue making the shutter speed slower, once the ceiling for the ISO has been reached.

Now you know the background to why the short answer to your question is "take it off Auto ISO".

Anders

johnny_boy
THREAD ­ STARTER
75 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 07, 2010 00:33 |  #3

hmm, I don't think that is it. It is NOT set on Auto ISO. I've created my C1 setting for landscape purpose which locks the ISO to 100.

Again, if I do not use the Live View, it does not do Auto ISO, it only changes the shutter speed only. From that setting, only thing I change is the push the Live View button, then it goes into what seems like Auto ISO mode. Why is that? It seems like a bug in the software?

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,313 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 07, 2010 00:55 as a reply to  @ johnny_boy's post |  #4

I tried without live view, and my camera does exactly what you describe, when set to Auto ISO. I'll have to try normal vs. live view as well.
OK, so I did. It works exactly the same no matter if I use live view or not.
With auto ISO, it varies the ISO if the shutter speed becomes too long. With fixed ISO, it varies the shutter speed only.
My camera is the more advanced (except for the sensor) 7D, but in this case that shouldn't make any difference at all.

Anders

ecub
Goldmember
1,487 posts
Joined May 2010

Sep 07, 2010 01:49 |  #5

Johny_boy, I just tried it on my 5D II and my ISO still stays at 100. I can switch back and forth from LiveView to normal and it still stays at ISO 100. This is under AV. I also tried it under Tv and the ISO still stays at 100, no matter if in LiveView or not. Only thing I can think of is it's in Auto as other's have suggested. Also that when the camera sleeps or is turned off, when you turn it back on or wake up from sleep, the camera settings (C1, C2, C3) will reset back to default of what it was originally set. For example, if you register C1, to Av at 5.6, ISO 100, then change it to 2.8, ISO 400, then walk away for awhile, which sets the camera to sleep. If you press a button to wake the camera back up, C1 will default to 5.6 @ISO 100.

- Ed
Official Gear List
5D II | 7D | 16-35mm f/2.8L II | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L | 50mm f/1.2L USM | 85mm f/1.2L II | 100mm f/2.8L IS macro

johnny_boy
THREAD ­ STARTER
75 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 07, 2010 23:27 |  #6

I tested it out one more time tonight and this is actually not related to AEB. Without the AEB, this problem still reproduces itself, as long as I am using the custom camera shooting mode ("Camera User Settings" saved into C2 dial).

If I put in Av, then the ISO stays as is, whether I use Live View or not. But the moment I put it to C2, then if I shoot Live View it will change the ISO on me, while if I shoot normally, the ISO is locked at 100 as expected.

My other two custom camera settings, C1 and C3, I have setup the ISO to Auto (it says "A" on the top LCD and "Auto" on the back LCD), and that works as expected Live View or not.

Anyone else using the custom camera shooting mode have seen this issue?

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,313 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 08, 2010 02:03 as a reply to  @ johnny_boy's post |  #7

So you are saying that the custom setting has a manual ISO selection stored, but still acts like it's auto ISO?

Unless you have some other setting stored too, which causes this, it sounds like you've found some bug.

Go back to the Av setting, make it work the way you want it to and then save it to C2. Now try C2 again.

Anders

ecub
Goldmember
1,487 posts
Joined May 2010

Sep 08, 2010 02:22 |  #8

johnny_boy wrote in post #10869322 (external link)
I tested it out one more time tonight and this is actually not related to AEB. Without the AEB, this problem still reproduces itself, as long as I am using the custom camera shooting mode ("Camera User Settings" saved into C2 dial).

If I put in Av, then the ISO stays as is, whether I use Live View or not. But the moment I put it to C2, then if I shoot Live View it will change the ISO on me, while if I shoot normally, the ISO is locked at 100 as expected.

My other two custom camera settings, C1 and C3, I have setup the ISO to Auto (it says "A" on the top LCD and "Auto" on the back LCD), and that works as expected Live View or not.

Anyone else using the custom camera shooting mode have seen this issue?

I'm still not seeing the same thing your seeing on my 5D II. Mine stays whatever ISO I register C2 to. This is what I did...

1. Change mode to Av.
2. Change ISO to 400
3. Pressed the Menu button > Camera User Setting > Register > Mode dial: C2 > select OK
4. Switched to C2
5. Pressed the button for LiveView.
6. I see whatever ISO I set on Step 2.
7. Took a shot.

I can repeat the same procedure with any ISO and it doesn't change automatically like you are seeing.

- Ed
Official Gear List
5D II | 7D | 16-35mm f/2.8L II | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L | 50mm f/1.2L USM | 85mm f/1.2L II | 100mm f/2.8L IS macro

johnny_boy
THREAD ­ STARTER
75 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 08, 2010 12:49 |  #9

I will try it again tonight, I think there might be a bug on the software, if you store it the way I think I did it. I think what I did was set everything up the way I liked it in Av and saved it to C1, and then I think I went to C1 and changed a couple parameters (in this case, turn off the Auto ISO) and then save that to C2. When I go to C2, it report as ISO 100, but then LiveView goes back to Auto ISO.

I bet if I redo the thing straight from Av, then save it to C2, this problem will go away.

ecub
Goldmember
1,487 posts
Joined May 2010

Sep 08, 2010 13:16 |  #10

If you are still having problems, you could document all the changes you made and post it. Then I could try it on mine. Also, make sure you're on the latest firmware update.

- Ed
Official Gear List

johnny_boy
THREAD ­ STARTER
75 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 09, 2010 22:20 |  #11

I've figure out the repro steps. BTW, as expected if I started from Av and save it to C2, then it works correctly whether Live View or not.

Now, start from the Av dial with Auto ISO turned on, then register that to C1. Now go to C1 and then change the seeting from Auto ISO to ISO 100 (I've also changed a couple other setting like Photo style, Drive mode, but I don't think it matters). Now go to the main menu and register the current setting to C2.

Now turn the dial to C2 and use it normal and it will say ISO 100, go to Live View and it will flip to Auto.

My firmware is 2.04.

ecub
Goldmember
1,487 posts
Joined May 2010

Sep 11, 2010 02:26 |  #12

I followed your instructions. Mine still does not change. It stays at ISO 100.

Could be the firmware. I'm at 2.0.7.

- Ed
Official Gear List

frankk
825 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 23, 2010 16:41 as a reply to  @ ecub's post |  #13

I have shot with live view and later looked at my pictures only to discover that the iso was wrong. If you have your LV func setting on stills+movie, live view will be in movie mode and will change your iso. If you set it to stills only, the iso will not change.

snapshot2011
570 posts
Joined May 2011

Jan 11, 2013 18:55 |  #14

i have exactly the same issue, in live view mode on Av the ISO seems to change with each exposure and its not set to auto but instead is set to 100

sponsored links

4,515 views & 0 likes for this thread
EOS 5D II AEB via Live View changes ISO?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.