Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 06 Sep 2010 (Monday) 20:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What is your most expensive lens repair?

slr_noob
536 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 06, 2010 20:02 |  #1

I wonder what is your most expensive lens repair. I was at a local camera shop and asked about it since my 24-105 is out of commission at the moment. I'm told someone dropped a 70-200 f/2.8L IS, split into two with a damaged front element. It cost that person about 600 to fix by Canon and came back like-new.

How about yours? If the fix involves in buying a new copy of the same lens, it doesn't count.

Canon 7D
-580EX II
-24-105 f/4L IS USM (Now fixed!)

sponsored links
timberlakephoto
57 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 06, 2010 21:28 |  #2

had a sigma 2.8 70-200 (something like that) that focused coarsely, was loose as heck, and I was about to give it away... sent it to Sigma in Ronconcoma (sp?) NY, and it cost me a whopping $80 & it came back good as new.

Shooting life above 9000 feet!

vince_ross
350 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Sep 06, 2010 22:27 as a reply to  @ timberlakephoto's post |  #3

I just had the focus ring/lock ring on my 100-400 lock up on me while shooting a soccer game last week. Happened while zooming out just past 200mm, heard and felt it come to a grinding halt :( . Talk about a bummer, didn't even have an indication of a problem before it happened. I sent it in to Canon for repair and it ended up costing me $339 (so far) plus $40 to ship it. It is still in the process of being repaired. I hopefully will have it back soon.

www.ohiovalleyphoto.ne​t (external link)

MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 06, 2010 22:35 |  #4

vince_ross wrote in post #10862427 (external link)
I just had the focus ring/lock ring on my 100-400 lock up on me while shooting a soccer game last week. Happened while zooming out just past 200mm, heard and felt it come to a grinding halt :( . Talk about a bummer, didn't even have an indication of a problem before it happened. I sent it in to Canon for repair and it ended up costing me $339 (so far) plus $40 to ship it. It is still in the process of being repaired. I hopefully will have it back soon.

Sorry to hear that. Had a bearing get off the track and lock up the barrel? Fairly common complaint about the older (pre-2006) 100-400's. What date code was yours?

Sadly, that's about the right price range for that repair. The first time I bought a used 100-400 on ebay, it came with a bearing rolling around... I immediately sent it back because i knew it could become a costly repair.

My Gearlist

Chrisku13
56 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Sep 07, 2010 00:36 |  #5

Somewhere around $70, for a lens that costs $100 (50mm 1.8 mkii). I dropped it from a few feet which caused the housing and lens to seperate. I went to the canon service in Osaka, and they were very helpful and even gave me a discount on the work. Worked and looked like new when I got it back. I'm wondering what people's warranty experiences are like.

JWright
Planes, trains and ham radio...
18,399 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Sep 07, 2010 00:59 as a reply to  @ Chrisku13's post |  #6

vince_ross wrote in post #10862427 (external link)

MOkoFOko wrote in post #10862470 (external link)
Sorry to hear that. Had a bearing get off the track and lock up the barrel? Fairly common complaint about the older (pre-2006) 100-400's. What date code was yours?

Sadly, that's about the right price range for that repair. The first time I bought a used 100-400 on ebay, it came with a bearing rolling around... I immediately sent it back because i knew it could become a costly repair.

My 1999 vintage 100-400 has been repaired three times for just that type of malfunction. The first time, I was able to finagle a warranty repair, even though the lens was over a year old. The second time it cost $400 to get it repaired. Both of these were at the Canon service center in Irvine. When I had zoom mechanism problems a third time, I took it to a local repair shop that fixed it for about $195. Since then, I've had no further problems with it.

Needless to say, I've been less than satisfied with the Irvine service center. When I dropped one of my 40Ds a couple of weeks ago, I took it to the same local shop. The repair came in right on the estimate and the camera is working perfectly. Any more, I won't use the Canon service center for anything but warranty work.

John

h14nha
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 07, 2010 04:26 |  #7

My 100-400 went in to Canon for a service and check, that ended up costing me £170. It did work great when I had it back, ( it is an old model, notorious for being soft ) super sharp but I did think it was pricey as no parts were used :-(

Ian
There's no fool like an old skool fool :D
myflickr (external link)
My Gear - 7d, / 16-35mm F4 / 70-200 2.8 II / 100-400 / 300mm 2.8 / 500/4 :D XT-1 Graphite 18/35/56

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 07, 2010 04:28 |  #8

IIRC, $180 or so to replace the zoom tension clutch on a 100-400... The lens came to me as EX+ from KEH.

Only repair I've ever needed (touch wood) :shock:

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Omaru
Goldmember
1,170 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 07, 2010 04:31 |  #9

I had an estimate on my previous 85L II for focusing ring replacement, cleaning, calibration the whole thing.

240 euros.

Visit my flickr (external link)
Visit my vimeo too! (external link)
Cosplay is Awesome

joeseph
"smells like turd"
11,040 posts
Gallery: 200 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Sep 07, 2010 04:38 |  #10

NZD$750.92 (about USD$540 ) to replace the barrel & focus ring on my 100-400L that gradually got harder & harder to operate , eventually seizing.

US (2004) datecode if anyone's interested.

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", and an M5, also an M6 that has had a 720nm filter bolted onto the sensor:
TF posting: here :-)

vince_ross
350 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Sep 07, 2010 09:02 |  #11

MOkoFOko wrote in post #10862470 (external link)

The date code is for 2005. Yeah, I have read a few stories about them freezing up mid-way through zooming. It was definitely a surprise to me...I guess it has to happen sooner or later with that type of design. I did not know that certain years had more problems than others though. The $339 is a bummer, but I'd rather pay that than $1600 for a new one.
At least it will come back calibrated and cleaned :D .

www.ohiovalleyphoto.ne​t (external link)

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Sep 07, 2010 10:56 |  #12

I know this isn't exactly in line with the thread title question, but I have never in all the years I've been into photography ever had to have a lens (or a body) repaired. :razz:

I have had some preventive maintenance done for my Nikon F bodies, though, quite a few years ago. That's generally called CLA (for Clean, Lube, and Adjust).

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 07, 2010 11:00 |  #13

Bah, the majority here appear to be for 100-400s :) That's really, really sad.

My Gearlist

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 07, 2010 12:42 |  #14

MOkoFOko wrote in post #10865048 (external link)
Bah, the majority here appear to be for 100-400s :) That's really, really sad.

It has the most moving parts so it's only natural really.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Shuko
377 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 07, 2010 12:51 |  #15

Dipped 24L into a lake. 80 euros to clean up.

www.miikajarvinen.fi (external link)
Gear List

sponsored links

5,570 views & 0 likes for this thread
What is your most expensive lens repair?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.