Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 07 Sep 2010 (Tuesday) 10:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

substitute for an aging A620

anothernewb
361 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 07, 2010 10:27 |  #1

Been getting into taking my P&S along kayaking and have been using my venerable 620.

However, sometimes taking a few shots of the most interesting parts of the river (large rocks, fish strikes, rapids) doesn't leave much time to spare. The 620 takes great pics, but they do take a fair amount of time to warm up, focus, and take the shot.

I was wondering if anyone there has upgraded from one of these and if the newer units are faster in comparison. I'm looking for something similar in size. the SD series look to have great PQ, but are just a tad small for me. It's scary enough holding the 620 over the side to get the shot, I might drop the SD.

Kinda thinking about the new waterproof one, but I haven't seen any reviews or sample pics from it yet.

I've got a dry case for the cam, but it doesn't really fit it and I haven't come across a pelican or other case that has the right dimensions either. thinking I might have better luck finding one to fit with a newer cam.

Gripped 80D,10-18 STM, 55-250 IS STM, 15-85 IS USM, 85 1.8, 10-400 II, 430 EX II

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Sep 07, 2010 14:48 |  #2

Well, there's at least one thread here with D10 (Canon's "waterproof one") owners talking and posting their shots. I had the A620, moved to an A630 when I got the 1D3 (so I didn't have to worry about keeping SD and SDHC cards separate) and now mostly use the SX1 and SD990 for my P&S cameras (have Canon's housing for the A630, so I'm not dumping it). It seems that the SD990 is a bit faster than the A630 is, both in starting up and in getting the shot. So I'd say that, yes, they're getting faster. You might look at the new S95; may take a while for a housing to come out for it (a better idea than a dry box, since you won't have to take the camera out of it). The CMOS sensor lets it shoot faster than the CCD of most PowerShots until now. Or catch an S90, with the CCD sensor so it won't be quite as fast but they're being discontinued and there is already a housing for it.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,486 views & 0 likes for this thread
substitute for an aging A620
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.