Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 07 Sep 2010 (Tuesday) 11:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Using DNG files

DAMphyne
"the more I post, the less accurate..."
2,156 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2003

Sep 07, 2010 11:41 |  #1

This is an answer to a question I was asked yesterday in a thread I've lost track of.

I've not ever tried using DNG files, but I'm willing to look into it.

David
Digital set me free
"Welcome Seeker! Now, don't feel alone here in the New Age, because there's a seeker born every minute.";)
www.damphyne.com (external link)

sponsored links
egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 07, 2010 12:23 |  #2

The only reason I could see where DNG would be a benefit is if you want to use LR/ACR and have a newer body not supported by your version of LR/ACR and don't want to upgrade.

For example, if you have CS3 and a 7D...

DAMphyne
THREAD ­ STARTER
2,156 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Sep 07, 2010 12:38 |  #3

I have a 40D and use PS7.
Kinda behind times, I know.

David
Digital set me free
"Welcome Seeker! Now, don't feel alone here in the New Age, because there's a seeker born every minute.";)

egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 07, 2010 12:41 as a reply to  @ DAMphyne's post |  #4

Just shoot JPG and you don't have to worry....

:)

I was running CS3 on an old P4, got a new QuadCore Win7 box with LR2.x now...and soon I'll be getting CS5 :)

BUT I too still use a 40D...That camera just won't die :lol:

DAMphyne
THREAD ­ STARTER
2,156 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Sep 07, 2010 12:53 |  #5

I really don't do much PS work as most of my stuff is used out of camera.
Sometimes I do crop and make small adjustments.
Otherwise I use jpeg and seem to get along well.

I really enjoy the 40D, although I miss the color and saturation of the 10D, which was my last camera.

David
Digital set me free

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 08, 2010 02:19 as a reply to  @ DAMphyne's post |  #6

I've tried it and have gone back to just using the CR2 files. It is really a personal preference but in my case I don't use any Adobe products in the RAW conversion part of my workflow. This is supposedly open source and Adobe's pitch is that if Canon or Nikon ever went broke and ceased to exist this format would survive and you could still convert your old CR2 files to a format that could be read. I think it has more to do with Adobe trying to push the camera manufacturers towards a format that is more universal. Not going to happen, imo. Companies the size of Canon and Nikon certainly can go into bankruptcy protection but having them cease all operations and not reorganization is pretty slim. There is also this same chance that Adobe could have the same fate.

This is a great option for those that have elected not to get the latest Photoshop/ACR but there is always other options for them at this time too.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,349 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 08, 2010 02:35 |  #7

I use Lightroom and briefly played with the idea of converting CR2s to DNG until I needed to run some images through a 3rd party tool that recognized CR2s but not DNGs. So much for that. My main reason for wanting to use DNG was that it dispensed wit the clutter of XMP files. They can call DNG a digital negative but I still feel more comfortable with my CR2s.

Bryan ­ Conner
49 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 08, 2010 08:45 |  #8

Here is my opinion on the dng file format:

It does save hard-drive space. No question about that. I took a shot this morning with my 40d and imported it 3 separate times. First, as a .CR2, second as a compressed .dng, and third as an uncompressed .dng file. The .CR2 file was 11.02 MB, the compressed .dng was 9.86 MB (10.5% smaller). and the uncompressed .dng was a whopping 20.3 MB. So, a 10% reduction in file size is not a bad thing. Even though storage is cheaper, and getting cheaper by the day, if I reduced all of my files by 10%, I could look at this as gaining 10% extra storage space for free.

Is dng a safer file format in regard to being able to open it in the future compared to the .CR2 file? The future can not be predicted. My first digital camera was a Kodak DC120 back in 1997. It produced only a Kodak RAW file, a .kdc format. I do not have this 1.3 mp $800.00 lousy picture taking battery killing beast any longer, nor do I have any files from it to open, but I do know that several years ago, I could not open one of these files for fun with probably PS7, or possibly CS. So the possibility does exist for not being to open a file in the future. But, it is probably highly unlikely that any of the current proprietary raw formats would ever be unsupported. And as long as Adobe is in business, I would imagine that the dng file would be supported by them. So, I dont think that there is a security issue of being able to open a file in the future in the real world.
I do not like the extra time that it takes to convert a CR2 into .dng in order to save the 10% storage space.
I do like the idea of not having to wait for an Adobe Camera Raw update everytime I buy the latest, greatest Canon because the newest raw format is not supported. In this concern, I do support the adoption of a universal raw format by Canon. It would be great if they would simply stick with one format of their own. All of the info I have been able to read indicates that the changes in formats do not offer any advantage. One is as good as another, the info is simple arranged in within the file in a different order. Maybe to keep the competition guessing as to what is going on inside the files, who knows.
So, the bottom line is this: Use the dng and save storage space at the expense of additional time used converting files while importing. (I see know advantage at all of saving post processed files as .dng at all) Or, use the extra storage space and use less time importing files. I think the security of opening files in the future is a coin flip at best.

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,476 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 09, 2010 03:52 |  #9

ssim wrote in post #10869949 (external link)
I think it has more to do with Adobe trying to push the camera manufacturers towards a format that is more universal.

Not going to happen, imo. Companies the size of Canon and Nikon certainly can go into bankruptcy protection but having them cease all operations and not reorganization is pretty slim. There is also this same chance that Adobe could have the same fate.

It has more to do with Adobe wanting to cut operating costs and increase profits by not having to write and release updates to ACR/LR every three months. Cherchez le buck.

Elie / אלי

MrWho
Goldmember
1,199 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 10, 2010 05:45 |  #10

Also DNG is apparently Pentax's uncompressed RAW format. Just brought that up since Pentax released a new model and it was in the review. If you really needed to save HD space, shooting .CR2 and converting into .PNG is always an option.

Gear

DAMphyne
THREAD ­ STARTER
2,156 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Sep 10, 2010 07:35 |  #11

I'm not really considering using DNG, this thread came about because I didn't have the chance to answer a question asked of me in a thread that apparently has been lost.

I do shoot jpeg's and I would probably just go to raw if I decide to do more post processing.
It's not about saving space.
Wish I could remember who asked the question, I'd do a PM if I could.

My memory sucks.

David
Digital set me free

egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 10, 2010 07:42 |  #12

DAMphyne wrote in post #10883812 (external link)
My memory sucks.

Memory is cheap! Buy a bunch of CF cards and a 2TB drive and you're set. :p

Pentax has had in-camera DNG since the K10D which came out in 2006(?)

sponsored links

2,348 views & 0 likes for this thread
Using DNG files
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.