Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Sep 2010 (Friday) 00:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1Ds Mark II for Weddings?

Davie82
257 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 10, 2010 00:35 |  #1

As some of you know I'm starting a photography business and things are going really well so far - I'm getting bookings, I'm getting great feedback, and best of all I have managed to secure funding to help get the business on its feet.

Until now I had no desire or requirement to get a FF body, but since having this extra money and also being commissioned to do fashion and product photography "on the side" next year, I need to think seriously about getting a professional camera (1D or 1Ds, no 5 or 7 series enthusiast toys like my 50Ds).

The 1Ds2 represents the best value for money at around £1,000, but I have no experience with it - what are your thoughts? I like the idea of having the best metering and AF performance for wedding work, and a great camera for studio work if I need it, but it's a lot of money that could instead be spent on a lens/lighting etc.

Thanks in advance. :cool:

Gear

sponsored links
The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Sep 10, 2010 00:52 |  #2

The 1DsMkII is a no nonsense, built like a tank camera and so long as you can live without live view and the ability to shoot beyond ISO 3200, it can capture amazingly good images with good glass and most importantly , a shooter who knows what they're doing with a camera.

I've had mine for close to two years now and absolutely love it. :cool:

Cheers!

GEAR LIST l WEBSITE (external link)

dKweddings.net
Goldmember
1,472 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 10, 2010 00:53 |  #3

I would really recommend you consider getting a 5D Mark II if you can save up a bit more.

I've tried the 1Ds3 and prefer the 5DII. Sorry, no experience with the 1Ds2.

-David

www.dKweddings.net (external link) || www.facebook.com/dKwed​dings (external link) || www.facebook.com/david​ucla (external link)

Davie82
THREAD ­ STARTER
257 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 10, 2010 01:00 |  #4

Thanks for the responses guys. I am well aware that the 5D2 is favoured for wedding work but I would rather get a pro body as I will not just be doing weddings.

David - can you elaborate what it is about the 5D2 that you prefer to the 1Ds3? Surely the pro body has better metering and AF, and similar high ISO performance/IQ?

Gear

dKweddings.net
Goldmember
1,472 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 10, 2010 02:02 |  #5

Hi Davie,
Sure. My opinion is based on my needs which may be different than yours.

Here is a summary of the debate in this thread: https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=909747

I'm a chimper and need to check the screen very often as I try different Off-camera flash settings. So the slow loading preview screen of the 1Ds3 is a major drawback for me. I also don't like the extra weight nor the lack of the high resolution LCD. What I love about the 1Ds3: AF is WAY better; but when I'm in low light (a lot of the time), I just use my flash IR assist beam and found my 5DII AF system to be very accurate.

-David

www.dKweddings.net (external link) || www.facebook.com/dKwed​dings (external link) || www.facebook.com/david​ucla (external link)

Davie82
THREAD ­ STARTER
257 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 10, 2010 03:19 |  #6

David, many thanks - this helps a lot. I wondered about the screen size and don't know if it would bother me as much, even though I also depend heavily on image review. I just need to consider what works best for me - if I make the move to FF at all, whether 1 series or 5D2, it will be an extra-expensive purchase because I'll need a couple of EF lenses to accompany it (70-200 f/2.8 IS is top priority as I already have a decent 50mm f/1.4).

Gear

j4k
101 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 10, 2010 03:32 as a reply to  @ Davie82's post |  #7

I just shot a wedding with a 1ds original and I'm really pleased with the results. So I imagine a 1ds II would be more than capable. You just have to get to know your tool. I've not had mine long and I already know its strengths and weaknesses.

I actually looked at a lo of reviews of the 1ds before I bought it, and I bought it on the premise that there was no playback magnification. I thought, 'oh well, I never had that on the film camera, maybe it'll make me a better photographer'. Then the guy turned up and said he had the firmware loaded that meant I could see a magnified playback, so all's well that ends well.

It's easy to get hung up on 'it doesn't have this, it doesn't have that', but what really matters is the output - and the output of my 1ds is beautiful.

But one more thing, if you're serious about doing this as a business, then you'll have a second body, no doubt. If this body compensates for any weaknesses in your first body, then even better.

1ds...50mm f1.8...85mm f1.8...135mm f2 plus several flashes and bits of kit!

Davie82
THREAD ­ STARTER
257 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 10, 2010 03:43 |  #8

Thanks j4k - I already have two 50Ds so the 1Ds2 (if I get it) will become my primary body, probably with the 70-200 or 50 1.4 glued to it :mrgreen:

Gear

DoomMan
543 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 10, 2010 03:52 |  #9

if you understand what your getting then get the 1ds ii. It is seriously amazing.

5dII |135L| 35L| 85L| 24-70L| 540ez
www.DaneVanLizzen.com (external link)

j4k
101 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 10, 2010 03:54 as a reply to  @ Davie82's post |  #10

In which case, I'd say go for it and use your 50d in situations where you think the 1ds II might struggle. And also, some people moan about noise on these cameras, but on a print it looks more like texture than noise. I don't think you'd regret buying one.

1ds...50mm f1.8...85mm f1.8...135mm f2 plus several flashes and bits of kit!

DRFRANCK
103 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 10, 2010 08:46 as a reply to  @ j4k's post |  #11

I have a 1DS3 and since you have the 50D's already use the FF body to take advantage of it when wider is required.

I only have a 24-70 and 70-200 2.8's on the 1DS all the time and just love it...your arm will get stronger with time and handle it no problem ;)

Keep it cleen though as any kind of particle will show and annoy you big time.

A great tripod will also be required as the weight with the 70-200 and bigger might be a bit too much on a cheap one.

I'm not sure about the DS2 but get yourself good cards with lots of speed and space...once you have depleted all your fortune with those things you'll be a broke very happy photographer once your higher in the learning curve of that setup.

Give yourself enough time to know it good enough to take advantage of every possibilities and you'll love it no matter how broke you got buying it.

:)
FG

1 DS MK III , 24-70L 2.8 , 70-200L 2.8 IS , Bag full of stuff

davidfig
we over look the simplest things
3,275 posts
Joined May 2005

Sep 10, 2010 09:58 |  #12

Well if its tough enough for combat (external link) then its tough enough for weddings.

5D | 17-40L | Tammy 28-75 2.8 | 28-135 | 50/1.8 | 85/1.8 | Sony A6000 2-Lens Kit | SEL35 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 on NEX as my 75mm 1.8

btmlinedan
Goldmember
1,559 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 10, 2010 13:25 |  #13

im a 1d fan through and through, but the small screen of the 1dmk2 S was REALLY small for me... often times I would shoot the same thing twice (with different lighting) JUST IN CASE...i think the AF on the 1d takes the cake, but the screen and IQ of the 5dmk2 makes it the winner in my book.

but if you get into a 1dmk3S then game over ;)

*dan l *Flickr (external link) l *cars: dkfx Photography (external link) l weddings: Blue Martini Photography (external link) l YN622C tranceiver review (external link)

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 10, 2010 15:15 |  #14

The only camera(s) I would buy if I was to replace my 5DII would be the DsIII or the MkIV. All the others come up short, imho.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Davie82
THREAD ­ STARTER
257 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 11, 2010 03:31 |  #15

I'd get the 1Ds3 if I was a very rich and successful photographer, but not before. The 1Ds2 is definitely a compromise in certain areas but I feel that it'd be a great introduction to FF for me, and it leaves plenty money for good glass. :)

Gear

sponsored links

11,082 views & 0 likes for this thread
1Ds Mark II for Weddings?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.