Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Sep 2010 (Friday) 00:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1Ds Mark II for Weddings?

Davie82
THREAD ­ STARTER
257 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 14, 2010 00:09 |  #31

DRFRANK wrote:
The combined weight of the body and the 70-7002.8 will likely give you a few camera shaked shots at first.

I've done a lot of weight training in the past so I don't find a combo such as 50D, 70-200 and 580EX II particularly heavy - I can shoot with one hand quite steadily if needs be :mrgreen: which is great because I'm thinking about getting a Black Rapid DR-1 to have two cameras always at the ready. The last wedding I did I had two cameras round my neck, and it was really annoying after a few hours. Never again...

@dmnelson one of my friends uses his 500D and kit lens for pro wedding gigs. The funny thing is that he is a very, very good professional photographer and the results he gets from that kit are simply astounding. People like him demonstrate that it is the tog, not the gear, that makes the pics.

Gear

sponsored links
dmnelson
Goldmember
1,286 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 14, 2010 00:20 |  #32

Davie82 wrote in post #10904504 (external link)
@dmnelson one of my friends uses his 500D and kit lens for pro wedding gigs. The funny thing is that he is a very, very good professional photographer and the results he gets from that kit are simply astounding. People like him demonstrate that it is the tog, not the gear, that makes the pics.

Exactly. In retrospect my comment may have sounded negative with regard to people who use that kind of equipment professionally, but it wasn't intended to be. If a pro can shoot weddings with a Rebel, then a 1Ds2 is also up to the task. :)

Gear | Flickr (external link)

Davie82
THREAD ­ STARTER
257 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 14, 2010 01:05 |  #33

What I want to see is a wedding photographer who shoots with an iPhone :mrgreen:

I wonder how marketable that is :D :D :D

Gear

ThePupD
360 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 14, 2010 04:27 |  #34

Davie82 wrote in post #10904711 (external link)
What I want to see is a wedding photographer who shoots with an iPhone :mrgreen:

I wonder how marketable that is :D :D :D

If that was on my wedding... I'd kick his ass

(but yeah, that would be something)

graphic designer & part time photographer
Canon 5D, Canon 400D, 24-105 L IS, Canon 85mm 1.8, Canon 50mm 1.4, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 430EXII, Yongnuo Speedlite, MBP 15'4"  and several big screens:)

MichaelBernard
Goldmember
3,586 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 14, 2010 06:48 |  #35
bannedPermanent ban

Davie82 wrote in post #10904504 (external link)

I want to know his name, so I can be sure to never hire him. If some dude showed up to my wedding with a rebel I'd kick his tail. Seriously it's not about stroking one's ego by producing great images from a lesser rig, it's about keeper rate and the assurance that you're going to land the shot. The wedding isn't about him, it's about his client.. If he can't see that, he has no business taking money for his services. If he is only using it for posed stills that is one thing, if he is using it as his main rig he should be ashamed of himself.

http://www.Michael-Bernard.com (external link)"I think that there will be people disappointed in any camera short of the one that summons the ghost of Ansel Adams to come and press the shutter button for them." -lazer-jock

Davie82
THREAD ­ STARTER
257 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 14, 2010 08:08 |  #36

MichaelBernard wrote:
I want to know his name, so I can be sure to never hire him.

Lol, he's an internationally published music photographer who has worked with many mainstream bands including Paramore and Fightstar and is regularly published in UK music magazines...I don't think he cares whether or not you hire him, or what you think about his gear. :p

If some dude showed up to my wedding with a rebel I'd kick his tail

Lol. Would love to see you tell a professional tog how to do his job and what gear to use.

Gear

MichaelBernard
Goldmember
3,586 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 14, 2010 09:09 |  #37
bannedPermanent ban

Davie82 wrote in post #10905840 (external link)
Lol, he's an internationally published music photographer who has worked with many mainstream bands including Paramore and Fightstar and is regularly published in UK music magazines...I don't think he cares whether or not you hire him, or what you think about his gear. :p

I don't give a crap who he thinks he is. The point was, if it is my wedding, my $$$, my memories.

He's paid to capture the moments, shooting with limited gear lowers his chances of that happening. It's about keeper rate, and while a good photog can use almost anything and pull off a few good shots I'd want a higher probability for my thousands of dollars.

Davie82 wrote in post #10905840 (external link)
Lol. Would love to see you tell a professional tog how to do his job and what gear to use.

If he's shooting MY wedding, I'll damn sure tell him what to do..he works FOR ME not the other way around. This is why you I ask what a 'professional' uses BEFORE contracts are signed, this is why you check them out. Like I said, if a photog showed up to my wedding with a Rebel as his main rig, I'd be livid.

For as hard as you're swinging from your buddy, why haven't you asked HIM what to get?

http://www.Michael-Bernard.com (external link)"I think that there will be people disappointed in any camera short of the one that summons the ghost of Ansel Adams to come and press the shutter button for them." -lazer-jock

versedmb
Goldmember
4,448 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Sep 14, 2010 09:23 |  #38

MichaelBernard wrote in post #10906119 (external link)

He's paid to capture the moments, shooting with limited gear lowers his chances of that happening. It's about keeper rate, and while a good photog can use almost anything and pull off a few good shots I'd want a higher probability for my thousands of dollars.

..If he's shooting MY wedding, I'll damn sure tell him what to do..he works FOR ME not the other way around. This is why you I ask what a 'professional' uses BEFORE contracts are signed, this is why you check them out. Like I said, if a photog showed up to my wedding with a Rebel as his main rig, I'd be livid.

For as hard as you're swinging from your buddy, why haven't you asked HIM what to get?

I'm not sure it really matters; AF perforamnce between the 5 series and a rebel isn't that much different and the 550d has high ISO performance that is on par with the 7d. And certainly a large number of photogs use 5d's for weddings.

Gear List

Michael

Davie82
THREAD ­ STARTER
257 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 14, 2010 16:15 |  #39

MichaelBernard, no need to get testy and dis my mate; everybody has a different opinion. You want a pro photographer with all the gear, fine - I'm different, everybody's different. We likely won't agree, so let's not go there.

Anyways I'm really glad I got myself a 1DsII (still waiting on it arriving). :)

Gear

sponsored links

11,078 views & 0 likes for this thread
1Ds Mark II for Weddings?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.