Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Sep 2010 (Friday) 04:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1DS3 - Writing to both cards slower?

Gel
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 10, 2010 04:03 |  #1

I'm thinking of utilizing both card slots on my 1ds3

My query is, would writing full sized Raw files to CF (which I already do) and then to Full Jpeg on the SD card make for slower burst mode?

Or would I be better writing Raw to both as there's no need for Jpeg compression?

Chris Giles Photography

sponsored links
Petri
281 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 10, 2010 04:37 |  #2

I've tested this with a Transcend 300x UDMA CF card and a Transcend Class 6 SDHC card.

There was practically zero speed difference when shooting raw to CF + large jpeg to SDHC versus shooting just raw to CF. In both cases the buffer was fully cleared in about 15 secs. When shooting raw to both cards it took a couple of extra seconds to write the files to both cards.

The jpeg processing doesn't seem to slow down the camera, it's the size of the raw files that increases the transfer/write time and takes those extra seconds.

dKweddings.net
Goldmember
1,472 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 10, 2010 04:41 |  #3

Gel,
Nope, I don't think so.... Here's a Q/A from Canon's site for the Canon 1DIII (note: not the 1Ds3, but I assume the sample principle applies)

Question wrote:
I have a serious issue where the buffer fills up after a short burst and I have to wait and typically watch the best moments pass by. If I went from my current 5 MB/sec. card to a faster card, would that give me a much longer burst range? How fast does a card have to be in order to stay ahead of the camera's buffer if this is possible at all? By the way, I am shooting RAW to both CF and SDHC for full redundant backup.

Canons Answer wrote:
=Canon's Answer]The camera's buffer memory is used before the image data is written to a memory card, so the card's speed is not the only issue here. At best with the 1D Mark III, your burst rate is going to be approximately 33 to 36 RAW images or 110 to 120 consecutive Large JPEGs at 10 fps, even with the fastest memory cards available. (Incidentally, you get the same number of shots in a burst whether you record to one card or two cards simultaneously.) The number of shots will vary according to other settings. For example, you'll get fewer frames if you are shooting higher ISOs, RAW + JPEG, etc. One of the biggest buffer "killers" is setting the custom function for in-camera high ISO speed noise reduction. If you want to maximize the 1D Mark III's burst rate, shut that one off and do your noise reduction in post-processing.

How are you liking the 1Ds3? I don't like the time it takes to preview a photo after taking it (compared to the 5DII).

BTW. I gripped one of my 5DII, and you're right... a gripped 5DII is more monstrous than a 1Ds3. Although I do prefer the ergonomics of the 1Ds3 better.

-David

www.dKweddings.net (external link) || www.facebook.com/dKwed​dings (external link) || www.facebook.com/david​ucla (external link)

dKweddings.net
Goldmember
1,472 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 10, 2010 04:48 |  #4

the 1Ds3 and the 1D3 are similar in a lot of features.... So my last response was based on this fact:

http://www.usa.canon.c​om …ArticleAct&arti​cleID=1886 (external link)

-David

www.dKweddings.net (external link) || www.facebook.com/dKwed​dings (external link) || www.facebook.com/david​ucla (external link)

Petri
281 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 10, 2010 04:54 |  #5

dKweddings.net wrote in post #10883356 (external link)
the 1Ds3 and the 1D3 are similar in a lot of features.... So my last response was based on this fact:

http://www.usa.canon.c​om …ArticleAct&arti​cleID=1886 (external link)

-David

They are not similar in terms of file transfer speeds. The 1DsM3 is UDMA-capable, the 1DM3 is not. The 1DsM3 has a faster file transfer rate when using UDMA CF cards.

dKweddings.net
Goldmember
1,472 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 10, 2010 05:10 |  #6

Petri wrote in post #10883365 (external link)
They are not similar in terms of file transfer speeds. The 1DsM3 is UDMA-capable, the 1DM3 is not. The 1DsM3 has a faster file transfer rate when using UDMA CF cards.

Oh. My mistake. In that regards.... I don't have any information of my own to add.

-David

hpulley
Goldmember
4,390 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 10, 2010 06:16 |  #7

The burst of Raw is longer than Raw + JPEG, it always cuts down slightly on the burst size. Then once the buffer is used up it can take longer to write to both cards if you have a slow SD card in the second slot. It writes simultaneously but it has to wait for the first shot to write to both cards before it starts on the next shot.

flickr (external link) 1DIIN 40D 1NRS 650 1.4xII EF12II Pel8 50f1.8I 28-80II 17-40L 24-70L 100-400L 177A 199A OC-E3 RS-80N3

sponsored links

2,630 views & 0 likes for this thread
1DS3 - Writing to both cards slower?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.