Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Sep 2010 (Friday) 13:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best Buy Service Plan for 7D?

eagle359
25 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 10, 2010 13:01 |  #1

I am looking at a 7D at Best Buy. They offer a four year service and protection plan for $349.99. Would you pop for the service plan? I think that it might be useful if I dunk this thing in a bayou.

Thanks,

John

sponsored links
crimsonblack
Goldmember
2,052 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Sep 10, 2010 13:04 |  #2

I bought the service agreement from Frys Electronics with my 7D. If it breaks they replace the camera under agreement. Check over your agreement. should be worth it.

| 7D Gripped | 28-135 f/3.5-4.6 | 50 f/1.8 || --- Sony F717 digital (infrared) --- Bunch of Film Stuff:- | Nikon & Nikkormat | 50/28/70-150/400 | B & J 4x5 large format | Mamiya C220 |
BurntEffects.com (external link)

huntersdad
Goldmember
4,655 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 10, 2010 13:07 |  #3

Pending on what other gear you have, you should consider adding a insurance policy to cover your camera gear. See your insurance agent for more details.

But to answer your specific question, having dealt with BB before on a warranty, my answer is this: if you are patent and can be without the camera for several weeks, sure. That being said you have to return EVERYTHING that came with the camera including the lens for warranty coverage. Also, after one use, your warranty is then complete, meaning you can't use it again.

I have their warranty to cover my flat screen and that's it. I personally would opt to not get the coverage.

Facebook (external link)

http://WWW.BLENDEDLIGH​TPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
1DxII x 2 / 24-70L II / 70-200L II / 85 1.4L / 300 II / AD600Pros

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 10, 2010 13:17 as a reply to  @ huntersdad's post |  #4

No way, avoid them like the plague. All these things are a total rip off.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

vid1900
557 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Sep 10, 2010 13:25 |  #5

Super rip off.

No bragging list - I just rent whatever the job requires.

nhglamour
154 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 10, 2010 13:41 |  #6

Rip off. I rather get a good CF card for that money or a 2nd speedlite for my gear.

5D3 with grip | 7D with grip| 24-70 f2.8 L USM | 70-200 f2.8 L IS USM | 100 f2.8 L IS USM Macro | 24 f1.4 L USM II | Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 Planar T* ZE | 600EX-RT | 580EX | ST-E3 | ST-E2

WaltA
Goldmember
3,863 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 10, 2010 13:45 |  #7

Well, many may say its a ripoff - but then many say insurance is a rip-off as well.

Believe what you want, when the camera breaks 2 days after warranty runs out, you'll want to have one or the other or you'll be out of pocket for a new camera.

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

RLJSlick
416 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Sep 10, 2010 14:12 |  #8

That's nuts! I use to work for Best Buy many years ago, and that is how they make their money, is by pushing those service plans. Most of it is junk but every once in a while the do pay off, but but very rarely.

Ricky L. Jones
Canon 7Dmk II, 5Dmk III, 7D, 50D
About me (external link)
Twitter (external link)
Google+ (external link)
Facebook (external link)

jasonlitka
900 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 10, 2010 14:15 |  #9

Tell the sales guy you'll buy the service plan if he throws in a bag/filter/camera discount/etc. and then go to the service desk and return the service plan.

Jason Litka | Utter Ramblings (external link)
7D, Rebel T2i, 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, 70-300mm f/4-5.6L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, 24mm f/1.4L II USM, 10-22mm USM, 17-85mm IS USM, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Speedlite 270EX, Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5, Fuji X100s on order.

NinetyEight
"Banned for life"
3,196 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 10, 2010 14:36 |  #10

I never buy any of these 'insurance' plans - IMO they are over priced rip-offs - Over the many years of not buying them, I have saved ten-fold of any amount that something may cost to repair or replace.

Companies make more money out of selling these things than the stock in the store brings in in profit!

Kev

guitarfish
354 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 10, 2010 15:17 |  #11

For years and years I've never purchased extended service plans/warranties on things like appliances & electronics. I have saved thousands and thousands of dollars. Every now and then something does break, and I pay to have it fixed, or buy something new. Even sill, I'm way ahead of the game, monetarily speaking.

harcosparky
Goldmember
2,425 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 10, 2010 15:33 |  #12

A friend of mine bought a Laptop with the Best Buy Accidental Damage Replacement Plan, it was a two year plan. After 23 month he accidentally dropped the laptop down the stairs. He took it to Best Buy with all the paperwork, he even had the box. They gave him a new laptop, but he warranty allowed for one exchange so it was over. But it was about to end in a month anyway. I have to wonder if he really did " accidentally " drop it!

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 10, 2010 15:51 |  #13

These "Plans" would not be offered if the companies did not make a good return. Yes, of course its possible that something will break down, but its pretty unlikely and over half a lifetime of refusing these "deals", I reckon I'm well ahead, to the extent that I could tolerate a few failures and still be up.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

1stGenRex
564 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 10, 2010 15:57 |  #14

harcosparky wrote in post #10886419 (external link)
A friend of mine bought a Laptop with the Best Buy Accidental Damage Replacement Plan, it was a two year plan. After 23 month he accidentally dropped the laptop down the stairs. He took it to Best Buy with all the paperwork, he even had the box. They gave him a new laptop, but he warranty allowed for one exchange so it was over. But it was about to end in a month anyway. I have to wonder if he really did " accidentally " drop it!

I know if it were me, I'd consider "accidentally" dropping it as well :P

eagle359
THREAD ­ STARTER
25 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 10, 2010 15:57 |  #15

If you were to see my F1n or my A2 you would know why I am even considering buying the service plan. I have NO experience with DSLR and have NO idea how fragile they may be. I figured a "get out of jail free" card (not free-but $350) may not be a all bad idea. I am open to other's ideas.

John

sponsored links

7,045 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best Buy Service Plan for 7D?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.