Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
Thread started 11 Sep 2010 (Saturday) 20:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Too many stickies?

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 11, 2010 20:13 |  #1

Are there too many "sticky"s in this forum? There are 11. Do we really need a sticky all the time for "It's fireworks time" and "Volunteering through photography"?

I read that many people don't "see" the sticky's and are suggested to go read the sticky's. Any way to condense the sticky's into their own sub-forum or some way of getting them into 1 line instead of 11? Or maybe create one whole forum with all the sticky's from this whole site.

sponsored links
sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 11, 2010 20:21 |  #2

HappySnapper90 wrote in post #10891874 (external link)
Are there too many "sticky"s in this forum? There are 11. Do we really need a sticky all the time for "It's fireworks time" and "Volunteering through photography"?

I read that many people don't "see" the sticky's and are suggested to go read the sticky's. Any way to condense the sticky's into their own sub-forum or some way of getting them into 1 line instead of 11? Or maybe create one whole forum with all the sticky's from this whole site.

Oh, I don't know Robert..... is 11 really a large number? I suppose it's a matter of perspective. I'd consider something like 50+ to be significant quantity.

I've been in photography for a little while so I tend NOT to look at most of the stickies myself. But I think they are a major benefit for those just starting out, or looking for specific info, or those who like a quick reference to some repetitive info.

I do agree that some don't see the sticky's, but perhaps that's because they don't make effective use of the search function for what they need. To be honest I'm kind of neutral on your suggestion - I can't see any really strong negatives for leaving it the way it is.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

illrooster132
Goldmember
1,068 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 11, 2010 21:31 |  #3

i love stickies!
makes easy to find what i dont know.:D
:p i use them all the time.:lol:

You dont take a picture ! you just borrow it.:cool:
https://www.facebook.c​om/lightburstphotograp​hyexternal link
http://ligthburstphoto​graphy.webs.com/external link

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 11, 2010 21:53 |  #4

HappySnapper90 wrote in post #10891874 (external link)
Are there too many "sticky"s in this forum? There are 11. Do we really need a sticky all the time for "It's fireworks time"

No

and "Volunteering through photography"?

Yes

What we really need is one regarding proper apostrophe usage.

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

canonboy2003
35 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 11, 2010 22:30 as a reply to  @ mikekelley's post |  #5

This thread should be a sticky.

Kronie
Goldmember
2,183 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 12, 2010 07:26 |  #6

^^^^^

LOL!!

Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop
15,692 posts
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2002

Sep 12, 2010 12:12 |  #7

Stickies are not established lightly. They're typically formed at the request of multiple members and after significant discussion among the moderation team.

I really fail to see what the issue is. If you don't like them, don't read them. For many members they form a quick and easy reference for particular subject to which they can provide a ink to assist other members. As long as a sticky remains useful, it will stay in place.

Mark
-----
Some primes, some zooms, some Ls, some bodies and they all play nice together.
Forty years of shooting and still learning.
My Tumblr Site (external link) (NSFW)
Follow Me on Instagram (external link)

tommykjensen
Cream of the Crop
20,886 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2004

Sep 12, 2010 12:39 |  #8

Well stickies serve a specific purpose and that is to be noticed. You have noticed them so they work ;)

btw this thread will be moved to forum talk where it really belongs.

EDITING OF MY PHOTOS IS NOT ALLOWED

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Sep 12, 2010 12:59 |  #9

By the way, fireworks displays aren't restricted to the US'4th of July celebrations. Fireworks are also associated with Guy Fawkes Day (November; UK) and the Chinese New Year (Jan./Feb. depending on the moon) among other events, so it would be up much of the year.

If Stickies were moved to a single place, typically nobody would go there. If you'd like to compile a "meta-thread" of important related threads that currently are, or should be, stickies, which would point to some of the existing stickies without losing them, we will certainly review it as a possible replacement for them. Take a look at some of the stickies in the EOS and Lens forums for examples of how this is done.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

macroshot
Stuck by a stickie
2,983 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 12, 2010 14:31 as a reply to  @ Jon's post |  #10

If I get a stickie stuck on me will I be able to get it off? Inquiring minds want to know. Thank you.

I photograph to find out what something will look like photographed.
~ Garry Winogrand

macroshot
Stuck by a stickie
2,983 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 12, 2010 20:02 as a reply to  @ macroshot's post |  #11

hmmmm...guess that answers that, huh? :)

I photograph to find out what something will look like photographed.
~ Garry Winogrand

canonboy2003
35 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 12, 2010 21:20 |  #12

macroshot wrote in post #10895221 (external link)
If I get a stickie stuck on me will I be able to get it off? Inquiring minds want to know. Thank you.

Depends on where your stickie is stuck. :shock:

asysin2leads
I'm kissing arse
6,328 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 13, 2010 09:23 as a reply to  @ canonboy2003's post |  #13

The real problem with stickies is that people don't read them. That's quite evident by the number of questions people continue to ask despite the fact that are answered in all the stickies.

Kevin
https://www.google.com ….com&ctz=Americ​a/New_York (external link)

tommykjensen
Cream of the Crop
20,886 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2004

Sep 13, 2010 12:25 |  #14

asysin2leads wrote in post #10899343 (external link)
The real problem with stickies is that people don't read them. That's quite evident by the number of questions people continue to ask despite the fact that are answered in all the stickies.

And it won't help if we tuck the stickes away in a forum on its own as suggested. At least some do read the stickies but more could benefit from reading them.

EDITING OF MY PHOTOS IS NOT ALLOWED

HappySnapper90
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 16, 2010 10:40 |  #15

Mark_Cohran wrote in post #10894706 (external link)
Stickies are not established lightly. They're typically formed at the request of multiple members and after significant discussion among the moderation team.

But my issue is when I come to the "general photography talk", which is where I initially posted this because it was relevant to that particular forum, there are 11 stickies that take up nearly the entire view of posts. I need to scroll way down to see all the new posts.

Other forums are fine and have 1, 2 or maybe 3 stickies. That is my point of the post, since it was moved and now it is a bit disjointed because you cannot see all the stickies where this thread is now residing!

sponsored links

3,238 views & 0 likes for this thread
Too many stickies?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.