Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 12 Sep 2010 (Sunday) 13:03
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Which macro do you like better?"
Zeiss Makro Plannar
52%
Canon 100 2.8 L
44%
Others
4%

23 voters, 25 votes given (any choice choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Macro lens: Zeiss Makro Plannar or Canon 100 2.8L?

Rittrato
Goldmember
1,224 posts
Joined May 2010

Sep 12, 2010 13:03 |  #1

Which macro lens would you get?

Zeiss appears to have much better micro contrast, colors and is a bit sharper but its MF only and costs a few hundred dollars more.

Canon has IS, AF and I think it produces a little better bokeh.

sponsored links
eye2i
Goldmember
1,791 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 12, 2010 13:15 |  #2

Blonde or Brunette?

Ferrari or Lamborghini?

:D

Better? probably the Zeiss based on what Ive seen on the picture thread.

Which macro would I get? I'm going with the Canon because of its price tag. The IS also will do wonders for me.

denoir
Goldmember
1,152 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 12, 2010 13:16 |  #3

Rittrato wrote in post #10894919 (external link)
Which macro lens would you get?

Zeiss appears to have much better micro contrast, colors and is a bit sharper but its MF only and costs a few hundred dollars more.

Canon has IS, AF and I think it produces a little better bokeh.

I have both and the Zeiss is much better in terms of image quality - sharpness, colors, micro contrast and bokeh. The bokeh can be described as the 135L & 85L rolled into one lens and is one of its best features. The bokeh of the 100L is mediocre.

The only reason to get the 100L is
a) The Zeiss is outside of your budget
b) You need 1:1 macro, AF & IS and weather sealing

In short these two lenses play in different leagues. The 100L is a very decent mid level prime lens while the Zeiss 100 MP is a world class prime - definitely one of the best short tele primes ever made.

Luka C.D| My photos (external link) | My videos (external link) | My Cameras & Lenses

eye2i
Goldmember
1,791 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 12, 2010 13:19 as a reply to  @ denoir's post |  #4

Denoir, love your shots on those threads btw.

Kiwikat
Goldmember
1,024 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 12, 2010 13:21 |  #5

If you can afford the Zeiss, I don't think you could get a better lens. The shots from it are absolutely phenomenal.

I'm hoping to get the 2/35 sometime this fall...

"Would you really want to be the Canon rep responsible for dealing with POTN?" -FlyingPhotog
Nikon D7100 Gripped | 18-140G VR | 150-600 VC 'Tamzooka'

denoir
Goldmember
1,152 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 12, 2010 13:22 |  #6

Thanks eye2i! :)

Here is by the way an old thread that has a small comparison between the two lenses:
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=891517

Luka C.D| My photos (external link) | My videos (external link) | My Cameras & Lenses

cfnz
105 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 12, 2010 13:46 |  #7

I have the Zeiss and am very impressed with it. I have no experience with the Canon though.

bkdc
888 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 12, 2010 14:07 as a reply to  @ cfnz's post |  #8

Picture quality - Zeiss

Usability - Canon

There is no way the Canon produces better bokeh than the Zeiss.

RF 24-70 f/4L IS | RF 50L | EF 35L II | EF 40 f/2.8 pancake | EF 85 f/1.4L IS | EF 100L IS Macro | 600EX-RT x 3

Anders ­ Östberg
Goldmember
3,395 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Sep 12, 2010 14:39 |  #9

I might want some Zeiss lenses eventually, when and if I can afford them, but not to replace but rather to complement my Canon lenses. For what I do currently I need autofocus.

Anders Östberg - Mostly Canon gear - My photos (external link)

eye2i
Goldmember
1,791 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 12, 2010 14:43 as a reply to  @ Anders Östberg's post |  #10

I just checked the Zeiss and Canon lenses thread again. Wow a huge difference IMO. Zeiss pictures just really stands out.

JelleVerherstraeten
Goldmember
2,440 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 12, 2010 15:59 |  #11

I would go for the Zeiss because it has a stop advantage.

I had the 100L, but sold it to fund my 70-200mm MKII. Now that I have this lens, I don't miss the 100L that much, because the 70-200mm does some good macro as well.

Only with the Zeiss, you can get images you can't get with the 70-200mm nor the 100L, so I would go for that.

Look at the Zeiss 100 lens archive and drool over Denoir's pictures and I bet you'll sold on it :-)!

-Jelle l Gear l Website (external link) l

JelleVerherstraeten
Goldmember
2,440 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 12, 2010 16:00 |  #12

Here is the thread of the Zeiss btw.

-Jelle l Gear l Website (external link) l

shmoogy
505 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 12, 2010 16:07 |  #13

If I could afford the Makro Planar, I would pick it up in a heart beat. The 100L is pretty great with 1:1 macro capability, and for standard usage (amazing IS, very very sharp, decent-ish bokeh), but there is no contest between them if you can 1) Afford the zeiss and 2) Deal w/o Autofocus.

5D Mark II, 35L, 24 TS-E, 50 1.8
Canon 1000D

TweakMDS
Goldmember
2,242 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 12, 2010 16:32 |  #14

For me, the 1:2 limit would be a dealbreaker, since most of my macro is around the 1:1 - 2:1 area.
However, as a 100mm prime - and thus not necessarily a macro lens - I wouldn't hesitate to get the Zeiss over the Canon 100mm (none-L in my case).

Some of my lenses focus beyond infinity...!
~Michael
Gear | Flickr (external link)
"My featured shots" (external link)

denoir
Goldmember
1,152 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 12, 2010 16:44 |  #15

TweakMDS wrote in post #10895721 (external link)
For me, the 1:2 limit would be a dealbreaker, since most of my macro is around the 1:1 - 2:1 area.
However, as a 100mm prime - and thus not necessarily a macro lens - I wouldn't hesitate to get the Zeiss over the Canon 100mm (none-L in my case).

Yes, the 100 MP is more of a 100mm prime with a very short MFD than a dedicated macro lens. This is as close as you will get with it:

IMAGE: http://peltarion.eu/img/zeiss/zeiss100-181.jpg

IMAGE: http://peltarion.eu/img/zeiss/zeiss100-230.jpg

However for real macro shots I think Canon's MP-E 65mm is the most powerful choice.

If you use the 100 MP on a crop camera you'll get the equivalent of 1:0.8 magnification. I would not recommend it though. The 100 MP really shines on FF.

sponsored links

4,629 views & 0 likes for this thread
Macro lens: Zeiss Makro Plannar or Canon 100 2.8L?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.