Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 12 Sep 2010 (Sunday) 21:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sports Poster

johnohio
842 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 12, 2010 21:59 |  #1

Looking for suggestion on who to use for "inexpensive" decent quality sports poster for high school soccer. Boys soccer senior night is in October. Would like to give each senior a poster of themselves, with their name, number and position on it as well. Has anyone done anything like this? Your experience would be greatly appreciated.

John 7D, gitzo and stuff

sponsored links
asysin2leads
I'm kissing arse
6,328 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 13, 2010 09:20 |  #2

John,
Here's some from a member of POTN. I haven't used any of his stuff, but I do like the posters.Action FX (external link)

Here are some others:

Artistic Action (external link)

Easy Digitals (external link)

There are a lot of other samples here on POTN.

Kevin
https://www.google.com ….com&ctz=Americ​a/New_York (external link)

Mike ­ R
Goldmember
4,319 posts
Joined May 2006

Sep 13, 2010 12:52 |  #3

I also use Artistic Action for templates but the cost can really add up depending on how many you purchase. The good news is that they can be used year after year and are easy to modify. If you are not familiar with Layers, templates is the way go and the also makes learning the basics of layers easy.

Mike R
www.mikerubinphoto.com (external link)

kompressor
305 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 13, 2010 21:05 |  #4

For affordable posters I have always used Winkflash.com. The quality is actually really good for the price.

SmugMug (external link)
Can you take my picture on some railroad tracks?! No, that's illegal now. I'm really sorry.

johnohio
THREAD ­ STARTER
842 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 14, 2010 16:48 |  #5

asysin2leads wrote in post #10899329 (external link)
John,
Here's some from a member of POTN. I haven't used any of his stuff, but I do like the posters.Action FX (external link)

Here are some others:

Artistic Action (external link)

Easy Digitals (external link)

There are a lot of other samples here on POTN.

Kevin - thanks for your suggestions. I also just sent you a short email.

John

johnohio
THREAD ­ STARTER
842 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 14, 2010 16:49 |  #6

Mike R wrote in post #10900543 (external link)
I also use Artistic Action for templates but the cost can really add up depending on how many you purchase. The good news is that they can be used year after year and are easy to modify. If you are not familiar with Layers, templates is the way go and the also makes learning the basics of layers easy.

Mike - Thanks for responding. Cost is a big factor here. Will look into this. Was looking for something simple and inexpensive as we will be "giving" these to the boys.

John

johnohio
THREAD ­ STARTER
842 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 14, 2010 16:50 |  #7

kompressor wrote in post #10903408 (external link)
For affordable posters I have always used Winkflash.com. The quality is actually really good for the price.

Kompressor - Thanks. I don't think I have heard of this site before. I will take a look and see if it is something that will work for us. I appreciate your help.

John

Mike ­ R
Goldmember
4,319 posts
Joined May 2006

Sep 14, 2010 18:45 |  #8

johnohio wrote in post #10908779 (external link)
Mike - Thanks for responding. Cost is a big factor here. Will look into this. Was looking for something simple and inexpensive as we will be "giving" these to the boys.

John

Even if you were to purchase only one from any of these sites, It will give you a good base for learning about layers and soon you will be designing your own. Once you have something designed, I recommend Costco for inexpensive, yet quality printing. If you have a calibrated system, you just need to tell them to turn off Auto Color Correction. Go with luster finish instead of glossy.

Mike R
www.mikerubinphoto.com (external link)

Calhoun
45 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Sep 15, 2010 18:51 |  #9

A 16x20 print at my local Walmart is only $6.99 for the 1 hour service. It's a great deal for these types of Senior gifts that you are looking to go inexpensive. Designing the poster can be easy or complicated. I use Elements not the fullblown Photoshop and get good results.

Rocketdun
295 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 17, 2010 07:59 |  #10

+ Easy Digitals has some great poster templates. You can watch tutorials she Kim Kunkel has that for the most part posted on You Tube. So if you loose your place or way you can watch the video over to regain your perspective. I would also suggest you check out MPIX for printing, at www.mpix.com (external link), they do good work their quality and selection of papers and printing options is awesome.

A great photo only starts with the shutter release,
1DS Mark ii,7D , 40D, 24 mm 2.8, 50mm 1.8, 50 mm 1.4, 28-138, 18-200, 70-200 2.8, 100-400 4.5-5.6 , 580 EXII,
My stuff: http://deseventphotos.​zenfolio.com (external link)

JohnPAtl
56 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 17, 2010 14:48 as a reply to  @ Rocketdun's post |  #11

I created this from a template from action fx..
I purchased another template did not like it that much and this
was a freebie ..
the kids love it

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

50D w/Grip, 18-135,70-200 f/2.8L, 50 /1.4, 85 /1.8 Speedlight 580EXII,

Rocketdun
295 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 17, 2010 19:57 as a reply to  @ JohnPAtl's post |  #12

John that is one great poster template, I am sure it took some time to create, but it was well done, thanks for sharing

A great photo only starts with the shutter release,
1DS Mark ii,7D , 40D, 24 mm 2.8, 50mm 1.8, 50 mm 1.4, 28-138, 18-200, 70-200 2.8, 100-400 4.5-5.6 , 580 EXII,
My stuff: http://deseventphotos.​zenfolio.com (external link)

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 18, 2010 18:18 |  #13

Richmond Pro Lab has posters built into their ordering system, have yet to see any but from everyone who's ordered and had them drop shipped they tell me awesome. My cousin ordered some prints, threw one in for free and after seeing it the requests have been coming in to shoot this and that from those he showed, so does the trick. Searching around there are some REALLY bad ones out there, same with memory mates...so if you find a good one grab it quick.

Freelance Photographer & Co-founder of Four Seam Images
Mike Janes Photography (external link) - Four Seam Images LLC (external link)
FSI is a baseball oriented photo agency and official licensee of MiLB/MLB.
@FourSeamImages (instagram/twitter)
@MikeJanesPhotography (instagram)
@MikeJanesPhotog (twitter)

DD974
835 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 21, 2010 11:38 as a reply to  @ MJPhotos24's post |  #14

A few years back I did basketball photos for my son's HS basketball team, they were hung on the wall of the gym for the season. The booster club purchased them to give to the players.

Click here to check them out (external link)...no cookie cutter templates were used. :lol:

DC~

Tigershark
904 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 21, 2010 12:08 |  #15

the ones from Richmond are very nice, I have done a ton of them

sponsored links

4,545 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sports Poster
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.