Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 13 Sep 2010 (Monday) 15:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Equestrian - Show Jumping

kfyount
821 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 13, 2010 15:42 |  #1

I think this fits here best - not my horse so Pets didn't seem to fit. This was from a tournament that our stable held. I'm still learning - both the horse sports and shooting sports. But all in all, I was pleased with this shot. What do you think? I'll appreciate all C&C!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Kevin

sponsored links
35mmNewbie
Goldmember
2,127 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 13, 2010 15:52 |  #2

Is this picture heavily cropped? What lens were you using?

Bryan
20D; 70-200 f4; YN-560; Genesis 200 Strobe w/ 43" Umbrella; 43" 5 in 1 Reflector;

kfyount
THREAD ­ STARTER
821 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 13, 2010 16:08 |  #3

35mmNewbie wrote in post #10901611 (external link)
Is this picture heavily cropped? What lens were you using?

Yeah - I suppose you could say that... I used my 75-300 at 300mm. When I thought first, I was going to answer that it was 480mm equivalent, but when I checked the cropped version I posted here, PICASA says it is equivalent to 739mm. (I didn't know it calculated in the crop like that!)

Anyway...as I said, I was pleased with how it turned out. Sometimes even a blind hog finds an acorn.

Kevin

bayberry
262 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 13, 2010 20:32 |  #4

The horse and rider look good, but the picture is soft. I see you were using ISO 1600 and an aperture of 10. I would rather see this shot at ISO 100-200 and an aperture of around 4, give or take a stop. Your image would be a lot cleaner at a much lower ISO. I would also like to see this in horizontal orientation instead of vertical since it's a profile shot.

http://juliewardphotog​raphy.com (external link)

kfyount
THREAD ­ STARTER
821 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 14, 2010 07:30 |  #5

bayberry wrote in post #10903226 (external link)
The horse and rider look good, but the picture is soft. I see you were using ISO 1600 and an aperture of 10. I would rather see this shot at ISO 100-200 and an aperture of around 4, give or take a stop. Your image would be a lot cleaner at a much lower ISO. I would also like to see this in horizontal orientation instead of vertical since it's a profile shot.

Thanks for the suggestions. Had crazy weather that day - everything from pouring rain, really dark overcast, and even sunshine - and it changed back and forth every few minutes and that made for some "interesting" lighting conditions For much of the day, I could never have used ISO 100 even shooting wide open. During this rider's round, the sun popped out and I didn't take time to adjust between jumps.

I know this would have been better horizontal - and I shot it that way. I wasn't in the ring and from my place on the side from across the ring, this jump had an obstruction just to the right of frame. I cropped it verticle to salvage this view.

Some questions for those of you who have more experience at this: I was shooting shutter-priority so that I could make sure to have a fast enough shutter speed to stop the action. I then adjusted the ISO to get to get the aperture where I wanted it to help blur the background. For jumping or other sports at this approximate speed, what is a 'fast enough' shutter speed? Is there a better way than shutter priority to shoot these sort of events?

Thanks for the help!

Kevin

bayberry
262 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 14, 2010 10:39 |  #6

kfyount wrote in post #10905683 (external link)
Thanks for the suggestions. Had crazy weather that day - everything from pouring rain, really dark overcast, and even sunshine - and it changed back and forth every few minutes and that made for some "interesting" lighting conditions For much of the day, I could never have used ISO 100 even shooting wide open. During this rider's round, the sun popped out and I didn't take time to adjust between jumps.

I know this would have been better horizontal - and I shot it that way. I wasn't in the ring and from my place on the side from across the ring, this jump had an obstruction just to the right of frame. I cropped it verticle to salvage this view.

Some questions for those of you who have more experience at this: I was shooting shutter-priority so that I could make sure to have a fast enough shutter speed to stop the action. I then adjusted the ISO to get to get the aperture where I wanted it to help blur the background. For jumping or other sports at this approximate speed, what is a 'fast enough' shutter speed? Is there a better way than shutter priority to shoot these sort of events?

Thanks for the help!

I shoot aperture priority and adjust the ISO to get the desired shutter speed. ISO and aperture have too much of an effect on an image so I prefer to set those myself how I want them. In bad lighting I shoot wide open at 2.8. I never go smaller than f/4 when shooting jumping as I prefer a shallow DOF. A bare minimum would be 1/500 for shutter speed if you have a good smooth panning technique but I try to get it closer to 1/1000. On my Nikon it's just a quick spin of a dial to adjust ISO so I can literally change on the fly within five or so strides of a jump.

http://juliewardphotog​raphy.com (external link)

kfyount
THREAD ­ STARTER
821 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 14, 2010 12:56 |  #7

bayberry wrote in post #10906604 (external link)
I shoot aperture priority and adjust the ISO to get the desired shutter speed. ISO and aperture have too much of an effect on an image so I prefer to set those myself how I want them. In bad lighting I shoot wide open at 2.8. I never go smaller than f/4 when shooting jumping as I prefer a shallow DOF. A bare minimum would be 1/500 for shutter speed if you have a good smooth panning technique but I try to get it closer to 1/1000. On my Nikon it's just a quick spin of a dial to adjust ISO so I can literally change on the fly within five or so strides of a jump.

Thanks again for sharing your technique. I'll try that next time. With my 1000D, setting iSO is an extra step than just spinng the dial but normally, one can find a workable setting and stick with it. This day was just a bit challenging. (But here in the Rhineland, we have that crazy weather more than I ever experienced in the states.)

Hope to get some better ones next time but now we're going into the indoor season...

Kevin

bob_r
Goldmember
2,473 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 25, 2010 19:27 |  #8

I normally shoot aperture priority since I like to control the DOF, but the setting should depend on your distance to the action. I usually shoot f/4 to f/5.6, but when close to the action (or with a larger telephoto lens), I have shoot at higher aperture settings and still managed to get a decent background blur. Even at f/5.6, I've had the back of the horse out of focus because the DOF was too shallow because of my distance to the action.

Here are a few sample shots of my granddaughter on her horse (mostly taken during practice) with different aperture settings to give you an idea.

Canon 30D, Canon 100-400 - 1/640s f/5.6 at 235.0mm iso200

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/bob_r/image/122293193.jpg

30D, Canon 200 f/2.8L - 1/2000s f/4.0 at 200.0mm iso200
IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/bob_r/image/126661405.jpg

30D, Canon 200 f/2.8L - 1/800s f/7.1 at 200.0mm iso400 (even at 7.1, the background is blurred)
IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/bob_r/image/128593865.jpg

I took this one today (trying out my new 7D)
7D, Canon 200 f/2.8L - 1/1000s f/5.6 at 200.0mm iso200
IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/bob_r/image/128815445.jpg

Canon 7D, 5D, 35L, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 135L, 200L, 10-22, 17-55, 70-300, 100-400L, 500D, 580EX(2).
Sigma 150 macro, 1.4X, 2X, Quantaray 2X, Kenko closeup tubes, Yongnuo YN685(3), Yongnuo YN-622C-TX. Lots of studio stuff.
** Image Editing OK **

sponsored links

3,113 views & 0 likes for this thread
Equestrian - Show Jumping
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.