Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 15 Sep 2010 (Wednesday) 00:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D Video in Adobe Media Encoder

00dahc
466 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 15, 2010 00:43 |  #1

Hey guys,

I just finally installed my Adobe After Effects and right off the bat the lousy program can't even play back the video file at realtime. It's more like 12-15fps and no audio. What the hell? Plays fine in any other program.

So of the Adobe Media Encoder I go... but when I go to reencode my video it shows the input file as 1900x1080 but the output is 720x480 and there is no way of bumping it up(it's grayed out). I tried numerous formats and then went into each of those formats Preset features to tweak the settings and in there is where I always see the resolution is grayed out and always at 720x480, some of the presets are like 566x480 or something, too.

Any ideas? This should not be so difficult and I haven't even STARTED using the program.

-Disappointed.

---
Using Intel i7 -860(overclocked to 3.4GHz)
16GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM
SSD storage/OS

Canon 7D | 70-200 f/4L IS | 50 f/1.8 II | Sigma 30 EX f/1.4 | Sigma 50 EX f/2.8 Macro | Tokina 12-24 f/4 | 430EX

sponsored links
Terjay
448 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 15, 2010 11:51 |  #2

00dahc wrote in post #10911647 (external link)
Hey guys,

I just finally installed my Adobe After Effects and right off the bat the lousy program can't even play back the video file at realtime. It's more like 12-15fps and no audio. What the hell? Plays fine in any other program.

It's not a realtime NLE, it's a compositing software.

So of the Adobe Media Encoder I go... but when I go to reencode my video it shows the input file as 1900x1080 but the output is 720x480 and there is no way of bumping it up(it's grayed out)

You might've picked a codec that's strictly specced to a certain resolution eg. DV PAL or NTSC is specced to 720x576 or 720x480.

Terjay
448 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 15, 2010 12:19 |  #3

http://blogs.adobe.com …series-for-beginners.html (external link) Here's a tutorial series for all the basic stuff.

00dahc
THREAD ­ STARTER
466 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 15, 2010 18:53 |  #4

Terjay wrote in post #10914398 (external link)
http://blogs.adobe.com …series-for-beginners.html (external link) Here's a tutorial series for all the basic stuff.

Ah yes, the basics... that's where I need to begin. :)

I'll check it out, thanks.

Canon 7D | 70-200 f/4L IS | 50 f/1.8 II | Sigma 30 EX f/1.4 | Sigma 50 EX f/2.8 Macro | Tokina 12-24 f/4 | 430EX

00dahc
THREAD ­ STARTER
466 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 15, 2010 18:55 |  #5

Terjay wrote in post #10914228 (external link)
It's not a realtime NLE, it's a compositing software.

I've seen plenty of videos of people playing videos in realtime. And how could someone quickly see how their change looks if not for realtime viewing in the program? There's an answer to my issue somewhere...

Anyone know?

Terjay
448 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 16, 2010 02:45 |  #6

Editing software plays the video in realtime with the same basic principle as a media player does (if the video doesn't have any effects on it and the hardware is up to speed). After Effects needs to pull every frame into use (because what it needs to do when doing precise frame by frame animation/compositing) and doesn't play the video with any spatial compression and such.

You can drop down the working resolution and/or use the Ram preview.
http://help.adobe.com …6c1103906c6dea-7ec9a.html (external link)

sponsored links

2,440 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D Video in Adobe Media Encoder
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.