Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Sep 2010 (Wednesday) 23:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

D7000 is that for real?

fatrat
253 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 15, 2010 23:39 |  #1

I have an MkII which I love. Now I want a cropped camera for back up and for using the 70-200 as a longer Lens.
I was just going to pull the trigger on buying the 7D but then I see the specs of the d7000, on paper it looks like it blows away the 7d and D300 (which i regard as just about equally matched), The D7000 looks on paper better for high ISO, MP don’t matter. But I’m sure the expeed 2 will have better noise, better dynamic range. It has an alloy body and 1080p. The only thing I can think off is the auto focus won’t be as good as the d300 and both the 7d and the d300 are a little faster.

Seeing as the D60 just come out, I guess with the 7d not that old that Canon have nothing in this segment to match the d700 or can I expect that another Canon camera will come out. I don’t feel I’m getting good value if a 7d cost more and a cheaper D7000 surpasses it. How they can release this now, who would buy a D300s?

I will get to the point.
Has Canon got something up its sleeve or just pull the trigger on the 7D?

sponsored links
mpix345
Goldmember
2,870 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 15, 2010 23:47 |  #2

It is interesting that Nikon seems much more intent to be "all in" with these new offerings, while Canon is much more concerned with how everything fits in their product line. I suppose that is a luxury that Canon feels it can afford given it's market position.

The ­ Fox
Goldmember
1,839 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 15, 2010 23:48 |  #3

I imagine that the 1ds mk IV is going to be up next for release. Otherwise I think canon will let the 7D go for a little while. It is one hell of a camera and for the market it is meant for it is still better then the D300.

The D7000 is no going to fill the gap that the D90 is not able too fully. Originally the xs-d40/60, xsi=d5000/3000, 50D=D90, 5d=D700(now) and 1d=d3. Now that canon has there mid range to compete with the D300, all the lines are getting shifted around. xs=d40/60, T2i=D90, 60D=D7000, 7D=D300, 5D=d700, 1d=d3, 1ds=d3x.

Nick

"I work from awkwardness. By that I mean I don't arrange things. If I stand in front of something, instead of arranging it, I arrange myself" -Diane Arbus
EOS R6 Gripped | 7D MK II Gripped | 24mm F1.4 | 35mm F2 IS | 24-70mm F2.8L | 70mm F2.8 Macro | 135mm F2L | 70-200mm F4L IS |

Yaamon
Goldmember
1,433 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 15, 2010 23:48 |  #4

I'm afraid canon ran out of gas and no new camera's for 2010.

Canon and nikon came to play poker and nikon pulled out the royal flush.

Go for the 7D.

I myself will try a D7000 when it comes out.

Gear List
Flickr (external link)

spacetime
Goldmember
1,276 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 15, 2010 23:57 |  #5

But it doesn't have an articulating screen. :D

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,925 posts
Gallery: 1738 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Sep 15, 2010 23:58 |  #6

fatrat wrote in post #10918354 (external link)
I have an MkII which I love. Now I want a cropped camera for back up and for using the 70-200 as a longer Lens.
I was just going to pull the trigger on buying the 7D but then I see the specs of the d7000, on paper it looks like it blows away the 7d and D300 (which i regard as just about equally matched), The D7000 looks on paper better for high ISO, MP don’t matter. But I’m sure the expeed 2 will have better noise, better dynamic range. It has an alloy body and 1080p. The only thing I can think off is the auto focus won’t be as good as the d300 and both the 7d and the d300 are a little faster.

Seeing as the D60 just come out, I guess with the 7d not that old that Canon have nothing in this segment to match the d700 or can I expect that another Canon camera will come out. I don’t feel I’m getting good value if a 7d cost more and a cheaper D7000 surpasses it. How they can release this now, who would buy a D300s?

I will get to the point.

If the D7k "blows away the 7d", then why are you even considering the 7D? Get the D7k. :)

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 16, 2010 00:04 |  #7

the 70-200 as a longer Lens.

try factor in the lens cost for your consideration.

5D3 and a few lens
es.

Glenn ­ NK
Goldmember
4,630 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 16, 2010 00:19 |  #8

I went to DPReview and did the side by side comparison. 7D and D7000.

Which one has the edge? If one does, then it's not a "blow away" edge that I can see. Well maybe the Nikon has the edge because it has a longer name. I wonder if that will offset the cost of lenses?

When did voluptuous become voluminous?

c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 16, 2010 00:20 |  #9

"But it doesn't have an articulating screen."

Just a flush draw then. =]

Flickr (external link) |Gear|The-Digital-Picture (external link)|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERN (external link) | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

fatrat
THREAD ­ STARTER
253 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 16, 2010 00:36 as a reply to  @ HyperYagami's post |  #10

I would get the d7000 if I did not have Canon Glass, maybe, Im torn. Even if I did have Nikon Glass I would not buy a D300s over the D7000 even though the D300s is supposed to be Pro and the D7000 consumer.
The only reason I suppose Nikon don’t upgrade the D300 is because Canon have equalled the D300s but not surpassed it with the 7D so I suppose they can just continue selling it for longer and for more than the D7000. It’s like the Old days when I shoot Nikon had a D70 and it was better than the D100 at the time.

I just don’t want to buy a 7D and Canon comes out with something like the D7000. I think Canon 60D compares to the D7000? Is that right?

So I imagine the Expeed 2 upgrades of the D300s, D700 and the D3s will be miles in Front of the Canon equivalents if we go on what the D7000 consumer camera is?

Why Do I feel we are playing catch up to Nikon all the time :(
I don’t like copping it from my Nikon friends.
The Empire has to Strike back.

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,925 posts
Gallery: 1738 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Sep 16, 2010 01:01 |  #11

Well, why do you feel like anyone's playing any sort of catch up? Do you buy cameras to take photos? Or do you buy cameras to compare specs?

Do you need 39 AF points? (only 9 of which are cross-type)
Do you need Expeed 2 (which is just another fancy name for the next processor)? How are you so sure that the Expeed 2 is vastly superior to the Digic IV?
Last I checked, it only does 1080p @ 24fps, and not at 30fps (for those that might want 30).

I mean if you feel like Canon cameras are inferior, why not switch back to Nikon? It's not like you have to learn a whole new system, coming from a history of D70. You seemed convinced that Nikon is superior, then by all means, end your sorrow and turmoil.

Life's too short to be dragging your butt complaining about a camera manufacturer/model.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

drive_75
748 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Sep 16, 2010 01:03 |  #12

fatrat wrote in post #10918558 (external link)
I would get the d7000 if I did not have Canon Glass, maybe, Im torn. Even if I did have Nikon Glass I would not buy a D300s over the D7000 even though the D300s is supposed to be Pro and the D7000 consumer.
The only reason I suppose Nikon don’t upgrade the D300 is because Canon have equalled the D300s but not surpassed it with the 7D so I suppose they can just continue selling it for longer and for more than the D7000. It’s like the Old days when I shoot Nikon had a D70 and it was better than the D100 at the time.

I just don’t want to buy a 7D and Canon comes out with something like the D7000. I think Canon 60D compares to the D7000? Is that right?

So I imagine the Expeed 2 upgrades of the D300s, D700 and the D3s will be miles in Front of the Canon equivalents if we go on what the D7000 consumer camera is?

Why Do I feel we are playing catch up to Nikon all the time :(
I don’t like copping it from my Nikon friends.
The Empire has to Strike back.

Why does it matter what other think of your camera? I guess I just don't get why some feel they must have the best and latest technology. On paper it may look better but will it really make you a better photographer then the Canon 7D would? Will you find way to maximize the capability of the new camera or it's just that you want the newest camera? And why does it matter if Canon play catch up? By the way it's not "we", it's just Canon.

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 16, 2010 01:06 |  #13

I will get to the point.

Ummm... lets see...

1. It MIGHT have better noise
2. It MIGHT have better dynamic range
3. It has worse AF and FPS
4. It has LESS resolution (I am not sure why you say it doesn't matter, except maybe it doesn't matter for you)
5. 7D has magnesium alloy body
6. 7D has 1080p

I don't know all the specs, but the 7D also has a lot of neat features like orientation linked AF point, flash commander, microadjust, etc. At BEST the D7000 is about equal with the 7D IMO.

Am I missing something? I hardly see how the D7000 blows the 7D out of the water except that it's name has 3 more zeros, unfortunately, 0+0+0 = 0.

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

Red ­ Dog
Goldmember
1,060 posts
Gallery: 127 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Sep 16, 2010 01:16 |  #14

I wish both manufacturers would drop the video crap and concentrate on getting the cameras right. If I wanted a video camera I'd buy a video camera. They're asthetically different in terms of use. I'm afraid marketing departments in both companys have got the upper hand over the technical dept at the minute without actually considering users real needs.

www.davidmaginnissport​sphotography.zenfolio.​com/ (external link)
Canon 1DX mkii +Canon 1DX - Canon EF 200-400 F4, Canon 300 IS F2.8 + Canon 70-200 F2.8 & Sigma 120-300 f2.8 Sport
Other Photos: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/actionpix/ (external link)

NaKiD ­ EyE
Goldmember
2,343 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 16, 2010 01:32 |  #15

Red Dog wrote in post #10918654 (external link)
I wish both manufacturers would drop the video crap and concentrate on getting the cameras right. If I wanted a video camera I'd buy a video camera. They're asthetically different in terms of use. I'm afraid marketing departments in both companys have got the upper hand over the technical dept at the minute without actually considering users real needs.

well i wish people would stop complaining about DSLRs having video... and crap? clearly you don't know what you are talking about and haven't even used it yet.

sponsored links

42,837 views & 0 likes for this thread
D7000 is that for real?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.