Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Sep 2010 (Wednesday) 23:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

D7000 is that for real?

Stealthy ­ Ninja
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: Mythical Tasmania (the one with lots of tall buildings in the semi-tropics, A.K.A. Hong Kong)

Sep 17, 2010 18:49 |  #106
bannedPermanent ban

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #10925250 (external link)
Fixed... :D

I dun goofed! :mad:

:p

sponsored links
whiteflyer
Goldmember
1,810 posts
Gallery: 273 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Sep 17, 2010 18:52 |  #107

The D7000 may not be interesting enough for people to swap brands when they have a large commitment to canon glass, but the worry for canon would be people like a friend of mine.

He currently has a 400D with the basic kit lens and ONE other lens a sigma 50-500. Now he was waiting to see the spec of the 50D replacement but was underwhelmed when the 60D came out, so he's now having to think hard should he get a 50D/60D now or wait a lot longer to save for a 7D.

The Nikon D7000 throws a spanner in the works and as he has no real investment in glass it's easy to swap brands. Brand loyalty is what makes money over the long term and no company should be happy with customers jumping ship.

Gear List

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,925 posts
Gallery: 1738 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Sep 17, 2010 20:12 |  #108

I think it's safe to say that regardless of which "camp" you're in, everyone would agree some quality glass is the way to go. Seeing how your friend didn't invest in any glass (other than the kit), and that Nikon doesn't sell body-only and therefore he must buy the Nikon D7k + kit (assuming he jumps), will he again just cruise around with only the kit lens?

If one never goes beyond the kit lens, one truly is at liberty to jump back and forth with ease. But I'm not sure if you could really consider that individual to really care about photography?

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

fatrat
THREAD ­ STARTER
253 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 17, 2010 20:21 |  #109

5Dmaniac wrote in post #10929265 (external link)
Actually, I do not agree with your last statement. I know a couple of professional photographers and they don;t care about the latest and greatest at all. Some of them still shoot film next to digital and their gear is far from being new. They use what they are comfortable with. Great photography is still made by the person behind the camera.

It’s not a point of opinion it’s a fact.
You know a couple of professional photographers? WTF.
I am talking about the History of photography; you can’t take a photo without something to capture the picture.
Don’t be ignorant. Listen to the 15 Class lectures with Jeff Curto from College of DuPage.

Its starts from the beginning from 1800 B.C to the first negative, the pioneering work of Daguerre and Fox Talbot to modern day. All the technology break throughs and a look at the entire great photography artists, not some pro photographer you know, the greats and the great pictures.

Educate yourself you will find Photography and its history through these lectures is probably 60% about the technology of taking images.

AngryCorgi
-Bouncing Boy- a POTN peion
11,547 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Location: Surrounded by bunnies, squirrels and a couple of crazy corgis in NoVA...

Sep 17, 2010 20:27 |  #110

jwcdds wrote in post #10929630 (external link)
Nikon doesn't sell body-only and therefore he must buy the Nikon D7k + kit

Negative. Nikon D7k = $1,200 body only...$1,500 w/ kit lens.

AngryCorgi (external link) (aka Tom) ...Tools...

...Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is knowing not to include it in a fruit salad...

CameraAddict
98 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Sep 17, 2010 22:34 |  #111

jwcdds wrote in post #10929630 (external link)
If one never goes beyond the kit lens, one truly is at liberty to jump back and forth with ease. But I'm not sure if you could really consider that individual to really care about photography?

You don't really care about photography unless you own at least 2 lenses? Strange sentiment.

I think the more we experience of the strengths of the tools of photography (including different manufacturers' equipment) the better photography becomes. Annie Leibovitz comes to mind. She shoots with Nikon, Canon, Leica, etc. Does her switching around mean she's just a gearhead and doesn't care about taking pictures?

I'm probably getting a D7000 in the next year or so. Each camera processes images slightly differently. I can't wait to find the strengths in both manufacturers over time.

50D, 5D Mark II, 24-105, 70-200 IS, 100-400, 100 f/2.8, 10-22, 70-300 Non-L (for sale), 28-135, 50 f/1.8, Kenko tubes, 430 EX II, Wacom Bamboo Pen/Touch, LR3, PS5

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 17, 2010 23:29 as a reply to  @ CameraAddict's post |  #112

Yeah, but you're a camera addict! ;)

Yes, the history of photography must, of necessity, include technology. But that is not the same thing as asserting that all (or most) of the great photographers were tech-heads. They updated their technology because of what it allowed them to do, not because it was the latest. Is there one single photograph that you can take with a D7000 that you cannot take with a 7D? The real difference between those two cameras in my view is price, and Canon had better pay attention to that.

Tom

cogliostro
239 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 17, 2010 23:37 |  #113

RTPVid wrote in post #10930450 (external link)

Yes, the history of photography must, of necessity, include technology. But that is not the same thing as asserting that all (or most) of the great photographers were tech-heads. They updated their technology because of what it allowed them to do, not because it was the latest. Is there one single photograph that you can take with a D7000 that you cannot take with a 7D? The real difference between those two cameras in my view is price, and Canon had better pay attention to that.

I was surprised by the price of 7D in adorama, because in my country, the 7D only cost around ~150 dollars more than the D7000, which makes it even easier to go canon :D
But if you use the rebate for the pixma 9500 the 7d is even cheaper

5d2 and glasses
deviantart (external link)

JackProton
Goldmember
2,348 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Sep 17, 2010 23:40 |  #114

CameraAddict wrote in post #10930237 (external link)
....Annie Leibovitz comes to mind. She shoots with Nikon, Canon, Leica, etc. Does her switching around mean she's just a gearhead and doesn't care about taking pictures?

No, that just means she can afford to change camera brands like shoes.

fatrat
THREAD ­ STARTER
253 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 17, 2010 23:51 |  #115

RTPVid wrote in post #10930450 (external link)

Yes, you will be able to take a "clean image" in lower light with a D7000 that you can’t take a clean image with the 7D.

You can’t just ignore things about photography because you don’t want to talk about it. If you know anything about photography you will know there were warring factions and divisions in photography about what technology was used, which one is right. If you just want to blab ignorance please keep doing so. It is very amusing to say the least.

This part of the forum is about EOS related things, including its competition.
It will contain posts mostly about camera specs and so on.
If you just want to look at images and comment only about images, please for the love of God go to the correct part of the forum to facilitate your needs.

JackProton
Goldmember
2,348 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Sep 18, 2010 00:01 |  #116

"Is there one single photograph that you can take with a D7000 that you cannot take with a 7D?"

fatrat wrote in post #10930539 (external link)
Yes, you will be able to take a "clean image" in lower light with a D7000 that you can’t take a clean image with the 7D.

How come my Magic 8 Ball said, "Try again later"?

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 18, 2010 00:04 |  #117

whiteflyer wrote in post #10929300 (external link)
The D7000 may not be interesting enough for people to swap brands when they have a large commitment to canon glass, but the worry for canon would be people like a friend of mine.

He currently has a 400D with the basic kit lens and ONE other lens a sigma 50-500. Now he was waiting to see the spec of the 50D replacement but was underwhelmed when the 60D came out, so he's now having to think hard should he get a 50D/60D now or wait a lot longer to save for a 7D.

The Nikon D7000 throws a spanner in the works and as he has no real investment in glass it's easy to swap brands. Brand loyalty is what makes money over the long term and no company should be happy with customers jumping ship.

If someone has one body and a kit lens and decides to sell those and swap brands, that's not much of a migration really.

No different than owning one TV and deciding you'd rather have a Sony over a Samsung.

Now the dedicated Videophile who has $XX,XXX invested in a home theatre isn't going to make that swap so lightly because they're invested in an entire system.

That's more akin to someone selling off three bodies, two Speedlights and say 7-10 lenses. It happens, but rarely.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

fatrat
THREAD ­ STARTER
253 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 18, 2010 00:10 |  #118

JackProton wrote in post #10930556 (external link)
"Is there one single photograph that you can take with a D7000 that you cannot take with a 7D?"

How come my Magic 8 Ball said, "Try again later"?

Just a Example, Dig it! or dont you get it?

By the way, Chase says it D3 standard, so shake your thing again.

fatrat
THREAD ­ STARTER
253 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 18, 2010 00:23 |  #119

Judge for yourself guys.

High ISO
D7000

http://blog.chasejarvi​s.com …kon-d7000-preview-images/ (external link)

Seeing its dark. It most certainly beats a 7D, match for a MkII? Close, will have to see more. Wow from a consumer camera

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 18, 2010 00:23 |  #120

fatrat wrote in post #10930584 (external link)
Just a Example, Dig it! or dont you get it?

By the way, Chase says it D3 standard, so shake your thing again.

So, do you also like to go to Ford dealerships and try to sell Chevys? Having much luck converting anyone at the local Mosque?

IOW, we get it.

IMAGE: http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs6/i/2005/064/c/0/Beating_A_Dead_Horse_by_livius.gif

Nikon has released a very strong contender for Intermediate to Advanced buyers. It's a good thing. Perhaps it will push Canon to even higher standards with their next release(s).

This thread is beginning to make me miss polls by Stealthy Nijna. :rolleyes:

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

sponsored links

42,811 views & 0 likes for this thread
D7000 is that for real?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.