Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Sep 2010 (Wednesday) 23:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

D7000 is that for real?

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,925 posts
Gallery: 1738 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Sep 18, 2010 00:35 |  #121

fatrat wrote in post #10930607 (external link)
Judge for yourself guys.

High ISO
D7000

http://blog.chasejarvi​s.com …kon-d7000-preview-images/ (external link)

Seeing its dark. It most certainly beats a 7D, match for a MkII? Close, will have to see more. Wow from a consumer camera

ISO 3200? We can get that w/ NR set to standard or high. What's so great about that photo? Color's flat, details seem muted. It doesn't look any better/worse than most digital camera photos. I don't get it. It's shot at f/4.0, 1/40s, iso 3200. I do not consider that dark. Dark/low-light to me is when you're shooting f/1.4, 1/40s, iso 3200 (which is 3-stops less light). With a f/1.4 lens, that means you can shoot that same photo (neglect the DoF concerns) at f/1.4, 1/80s, iso800. That's not too tough, IMO.

Wait for the actual reviewers like DPReview and other sites before getting all bent out of shape just because Chase Jarvis and team posted up some JPGs. You want to see clean high ISO shots? See here:

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=919780

BTW:
f/2.8, 1/50s, iso6400 (My lighting is nearly 2-stops dimmer than the van shot.)

IMAGE: http://julianchen.smugmug.com/Family/The-Furballs/201001161229/788478862_RX3Ke-XL-2.jpg

No doubt the D7k is going to be a very competitive product and will rightly draw lots of attention. But you're harping on it as if it's the 2nd coming of Jesus.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

sponsored links
fatrat
THREAD ­ STARTER
253 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 18, 2010 00:43 |  #122

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #10930609 (external link)
So, do you also like to go to Ford dealerships and try to sell Chevys? Having much luck converting anyone at the local Mosque?

IOW, we get it.
[GIFS ARE NOT RENDERED IN QUOTES]

Nikon has released a very strong contender for Intermediate to Advanced buyers. It's a good thing. Perhaps it will push Canon to even higher standards with their next release(s).

This thread is beginning to make me miss polls by Stealthy Nijna. :rolleyes:

Obviously you don’t get it. That was not my point at all. If you can read and comprehend you will know what my point was. I will give you that this thread had digressed a little, well, maybe alot. You have to hear the people. Maybe Ninja man is just another poor misunderstood folk.

fatrat
THREAD ­ STARTER
253 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 18, 2010 00:46 as a reply to  @ fatrat's post |  #123

Nice cat indeed. Was that shot RAW?

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 18, 2010 00:48 |  #124

fatrat wrote in post #10930659 (external link)
Obviously you don’t get it. That was not my point at all. If you can read and comprehend you will know what my point was. I will give you that this thread had digressed a little, well, maybe alot. You have to hear the people. Maybe Ninja man is just another poor misunderstood folk.

Exactly what are we supposed to hear?

Most of us completely get it because photography is our chief hobby or occupation and frankly, all I "get" is someone bellowing about a just-announced camera and trumpeting it over other gear that's already established, in the field and working.

Forgive me if I don't sell off all my Canon gear, put on sack cloth, cover myself in ashes and wander the Earth proclaiming the glory of Nikon.

It's just another camera.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,925 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Sep 18, 2010 00:49 |  #125

fatrat wrote in post #10930670 (external link)
Nice cat indeed. Was that shot RAW?

Yep. Shot in RAW.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

fatrat
THREAD ­ STARTER
253 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 18, 2010 00:50 |  #126

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #10930678 (external link)
Exactly what are we supposed to hear?

Most of us completely get it because photography is our chief hobby or occupation and frankly, all I "get" is someone bellowing about a just-announced camera and trumpeting it over other gear that's already established, in the field and working.

Forgive me if I don't sell off all my Canon gear, put on sack cloth, cover myself in ashes and wander the Earth proclaiming the glory of Nikon.

Obviously gone over your head. I wont even bother expand. though my ribs are hurting.

J_TULLAR
Goldmember
3,011 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 18, 2010 00:50 |  #127

AngryCorgi wrote in post #10921147 (external link)
Exactly. Nobody should get defensive about new products getting released. When manufacturers compete, we all win!

Unless you shoot Leica, but then you also probably wear old "members only" jackets from the 80's too, so there's really no helping you people anyway. :D

Members only jackets are in fashion again lol. Urban Outfitters is carrying them :p

Model Mayhem (external link)
Flickr (external link)

fatrat
THREAD ­ STARTER
253 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 18, 2010 00:52 as a reply to  @ J_TULLAR's post |  #128

RAW less noise than a jpg straight out of a camera?

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,925 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Sep 18, 2010 00:53 |  #129

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #10930678 (external link)

Jay, I'll bet you 2 pennies and 10 pesos that the D7k will kick your 1D4 to the curb every day of the week and twice on Tuesdays. After seeing photos from Chase Jarvis' crew, I'm absolutely certain.

*jab jab*

(BTW, when can I expect to see more airplane photos? Any upcoming events that you're shooting? I aspire to one day take aircraft photos 1/4 as good as you.)

Julian

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,925 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Sep 18, 2010 00:56 |  #130

fatrat wrote in post #10930693 (external link)
RAW less noise than a jpg straight out of a camera?

Eh?

No. RAW has the MOST noise out of the camera. You then process/convert it with the software/editor of your choosing. If I so desire, I can just open up the RAW file in DPP, let it read my in camera settings (for JPG: NR, picture style, sharpening, blah blah) and straight convert and I'd get a JPG that's "SOOC".

If you care to look at your camera menu, you might find a "noise reduction" setting. And you'll likely find it set at "standard" for default. Which means, I'm 120% certain Nikon cameras also have their in-camera NR setting to "standard" or its equivalent.

Julian

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 18, 2010 00:57 |  #131

jwcdds wrote in post #10930694 (external link)
Jay, I'll bet you 2 pennies and 10 pesos that the D7k will kick your 1D4 to the curb every day of the week and twice on Tuesdays. After seeing photos from Chase Jarvis' crew, I'm absolutely certain.

*jab jab*

(BTW, when can I expect to see more airplane photos? Any upcoming events that you're shooting? I aspire to one day take aircraft photos 1/4 as good as you.)

Slack time right now but there are some events throughout October and early November which should be pretty prime. The monthly fly in breakfast I like to shoot starts next month along with the EAA Copperstate event the third week of October.

Oh, and screw these digital debates... I'm going back to large format film. At least that will shoot down the resolution arguments. :rolleyes::lol:

Jay

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

J_TULLAR
Goldmember
3,011 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 18, 2010 00:59 |  #132

jwcdds wrote in post #10930694 (external link)

*jab jab*

LOL he bought into marketing hype, btw that image at 3200 iso can be expanded to full resolution. Im not a fanboi and I use nikons at work but looking at his example it doesnt beat the 7d at 3200.. comes close but doesnt it beat it. We will have to wait and see when the camera releases before we take chases word on it. Chase is a nikon sponsored photog so I take his review with a huge grain of salt. Also many nikonians are questioning this D3 like iso statement he has spit out.

Flickr (external link)

J_TULLAR
Goldmember
3,011 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 18, 2010 01:01 |  #133

jwcdds wrote in post #10930704 (external link)
Eh?

No. RAW has the MOST noise out of the camera. You then process/convert it with the software/editor of your choosing. If I so desire, I can just open up the RAW file in DPP, let it read my in camera settings (for JPG: NR, picture style, sharpening, blah blah) and straight convert and I'd get a JPG that's "SOOC".

If you care to look at your camera menu, you might find a "noise reduction" setting. And you'll likely find it set at "standard" for default. Which means, I'm 120% certain Nikon cameras also have their in-camera NR setting to "standard" or its equivalent.

This right here should give you a BIG clue as to how much photographic knowledge this Fatrat dude has.... ROFL.

Flickr (external link)

J_TULLAR
Goldmember
3,011 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 18, 2010 01:02 |  #134

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #10930709 (external link)
Slack time right now but there are some events throughout October and early November which should be pretty prime. The monthly fly in breakfast I like to shoot starts next month along with the EAA Copperstate event the third week of October.

Oh, and screw these digital debates... I'm going back to large format film. At least that will shoot down the resolution arguments. :rolleyes::lol:

Hey it works for Peter (multimillionaire) LIk lol.

Flickr (external link)

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 18, 2010 01:09 |  #135

J_TULLAR wrote in post #10930729 (external link)
Hey it works for Peter (multimillionaire) LIk lol.

Now that's a very good point... :mrgreen: $$$$$

Jay

sponsored links

42,885 views & 0 likes for this thread
D7000 is that for real?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.