Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 16 Sep 2010 (Thursday) 09:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Neutral White L Lenses

JLai81
736 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 16, 2010 09:57 |  #1

Per canon "Photographers will immediately notice that the latest Canon L-series telephoto lenses and extenders have a more neutral white tone compared to earlier models. This new shade of white will be used with all L-series telephoto lenses and extenders beginning in the second half of 2010"

Anyone know when this color change will hit stores? I'm about to purchase the 70-200 f/4L IS and would prefer the new white vs the beige...although I'm debating if it will be worth the wait or if I should just order now. :neutral:

Gear List

sponsored links
canonnoob
Cream of the Crop
8,487 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 16, 2010 09:59 |  #2

They wont use it on the 70-200. It will be used on the new long telephotos and extenders.

David W.

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,833 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Sep 16, 2010 10:00 |  #3

That's interesting - surprised they're changing the existing lenses.

FWIW, if you need it now, I would buy now. That's just me though.

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

BenJohnson
Goldmember
1,811 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 16, 2010 10:03 |  #4

canonnoob wrote in post #10920353 (external link)
They wont use it on the 70-200. It will be used on the new long telephotos and extenders.

I would think that they would produce all future "white" lenses in the same shade. It doesn't make much sense to try and stock two different colors. I'm interested to see a side by side comparison if anyone gets their hands on a new lens. :)

|Ben Johnson Photography (external link)|
|Gear List|

canonnoob
Cream of the Crop
8,487 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 16, 2010 10:03 |  #5

Btw. This is speculation, going off of what was posted... just" telephoto" does not really include the zooms. Who knows

David W.

JLai81
THREAD ­ STARTER
736 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 16, 2010 10:03 |  #6

But didn't Canon say they're using the new white for all L-series telephotos? ?!

http://usa.canon.com …il&docId=0901e0​24801e8289 (external link)

Gear List

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,669 posts
Gallery: 464 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 16, 2010 10:05 |  #7

JLai81 wrote in post #10920380 (external link)
But didn't Canon say they're using the new white for all L-series telephotos? ?!

Even so, are you willing to wait for a particular lens to completely be depleted in the distribution chain just so you can have a different color paint on the outside?

canonnoob
Cream of the Crop
8,487 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 16, 2010 10:05 |  #8

BenJohnson wrote in post #10920374 (external link)
I would think that they would produce all future "white" lenses in the same shade. It doesn't make much sense to try and stock two different colors. I'm interested to see a side by side comparison if anyone gets their hands on a new lens. :)

I would agree to an extent. But, i am referring to those on the production line to be finished within the next few months.

David W.

canonnoob
Cream of the Crop
8,487 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 16, 2010 10:08 |  #9

JLai81 wrote in post #10920380 (external link)

So the 851.2, 135 2.0, 200 2.8, 100 macro, and others will be white according to that definition then.

David W.

JLai81
THREAD ­ STARTER
736 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 16, 2010 10:11 |  #10

gonzogolf wrote in post #10920394 (external link)
Even so, are you willing to wait for a particular lens to completely be depleted in the distribution chain just so you can have a different color paint on the outside?

I guess that really depends on how quickly the distribution chain can get depleted. For a large retailer like B&H or Adorama, are we talking about a few weeks or months? Do you know?

I tried calling Canon, but the rep I got sounded clueless.

Gear List

JLai81
THREAD ­ STARTER
736 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 16, 2010 10:14 |  #11

canonnoob wrote in post #10920415 (external link)
So the 851.2, 135 2.0, 200 2.8, 100 macro, and others will be white according to that definition then.

I have no idea. Logic would dictate that Canon was only talking about changing the shade of white used on lenses that already use white.

As previously mentioned, it would not make sense to produce two different shades of white.

Gear List

JLai81
THREAD ­ STARTER
736 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 16, 2010 10:32 |  #12

I just sent an e-mail to Canon to verify. I'll post what they say.

Gear List

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,669 posts
Gallery: 464 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 16, 2010 10:33 |  #13

JLai81 wrote in post #10920425 (external link)
I guess that really depends on how quickly the distribution chain can get depleted. For a large retailer like B&H or Adorama, are we talking about a few weeks or months? Do you know?

I tried calling Canon, but the rep I got sounded clueless.

Depending on the model it could take years. Because of the intricacies of the manufacturing process not all lenses are made all the time. If the demand is low they may make and warehouse a batch of a particular lens and then not make it again until that particular production run is depleted. You will find threads here where someone has purchased a brand new lens with a date code that is a couple of years old. If a lens sits in a canon warehouse for a few months, then shipped to B&H or Adorama, and then sits in their warehouse for an undetermined time, then off to the shelf it could be a while. But I think you miss my bigger point. Its a different shade of white, why would you wait an extra day let alone months? It has no effect on the image, and given the date code system probably little or no effect on future resale value.

alt4852
Goldmember
3,419 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 16, 2010 10:35 |  #14

canonnoob wrote in post #10920415 (external link)

i think common sense can lead you to safely assume that they implied the new white to only be applicable to lenses that are already white.

5D4 | Z21 | 35L2 | 50L | 85L2 | 135L

JLai81
THREAD ­ STARTER
736 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 16, 2010 10:40 |  #15

gonzogolf wrote in post #10920533 (external link)
Depending on the model it could take years. Because of the intricacies of the manufacturing process not all lenses are made all the time. If the demand is low they may make and warehouse a batch of a particular lens and then not make it again until that particular production run is depleted. You will find threads here where someone has purchased a brand new lens with a date code that is a couple of years old. If a lens sits in a canon warehouse for a few months, then shipped to B&H or Adorama, and then sits in their warehouse for an undetermined time, then off to the shelf it could be a while. But I think you miss my bigger point. Its a different shade of white, why would you wait an extra day let alone months? It has no effect on the image, and given the date code system probably little or no effect on future resale value.

Wow. Had no idea it could take years. Guess that answers my question.

I do understand your point, but I'm not a pro. Photography is a hobby for me (granted an expensive one). So whether I have the lens today or 2 weeks from now would be of little difference to me since I don't need it to get paid. With that in mind, if I'm paying the same price, I'd rather wait a week or so and have my choice.

However, it would be absurd to wait months or even years. So I guess the order will be placed today. ;) Thanks for your help.

Edit:
Lens ordered. :)

Gear List

sponsored links

5,324 views & 0 likes for this thread
New Neutral White L Lenses
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.