Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 19 Sep 2010 (Sunday) 19:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Fuji FinePix X100

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,604 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 19, 2010 23:47 |  #16

darosk wrote in post #10940426 (external link)
Now if Canon will get off their butts and make a digital Canonet...

This is pretty much the same thing!

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a9/Canonet_GIII_QL17_2.jpg/800px-Canonet_GIII_QL17_2.jpg

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

sponsored links
darosk
Goldmember
2,806 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 19, 2010 23:53 as a reply to  @ tkbslc's post |  #17

Blasphemer!!!

jk :D I'm not less excited that this x100 isn't Canon brand - I'm more lamenting the fact that Canon hasn't (yet) realized that there's a market for digital RF's that don't cost $7k without a lens (although admittedly, this isn't a bona-fide digital rangefinder).

Edited for wording.

Tumblr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Youtube (external link)
Gear

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 20, 2010 00:17 |  #18

Rock. And. Roll!!!

What a totally awesome design. Here's hoping the actual implementation holds up, but man this is so sweet. They even chose 35mm for the fixed lens, which is my favorite focal length. Get out of my head, FujiFilm! I wonder if they went with a Sony sensor for this? If so the image quality could be outstanding. Can't wait to see some samples and reviews on this.

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 20, 2010 00:21 |  #19

tkbslc wrote in post #10940381 (external link)
Tell that to Leica!

Although I guess compared to the M9, they did keep the cost way down.

It is hard to tell if they are going to try and go premium with this and charge a lot (like $1500) or compete with m4/3, nex and LX5 and go like $500. I hope the latter, because I would be all over it at under $600.

Metal top and baseplate, metal dials, classic rangefinder styling... I'd be surprised if it came in under $1000. I'm thinking premium but less than X1.

fedaykin
312 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 20, 2010 00:23 |  #20

Holy smack. This is pretty awesome. Something tells me this thing will sell like crazy among photographers.

I want one already....

|Canon EOS Rebel XS(gripped)|Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8(non-VC)|EF 50mm f/1.8 II|EF 85mm f.1.8|Lumopro LP160 flash
My Blog (external link)
Flickr (external link)

MrWho
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 20, 2010 01:23 |  #21

I've always had a weak spot for FujiFilm.

*jaw, meet floor*

Gear

signet35
56 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 20, 2010 01:23 |  #22

best case scenario:

focuses as fast as a dslr, and in low light
low noise at high iso
very high quality lens
price range between US$900 and $1200
compatible with flashes from canon / nikon

worst case: priced nearer to $2k, with sluggish response and so-so image quality:
In which case, a used M8 is looking better and better...

TweakMDS
Goldmember
2,242 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 20, 2010 02:35 |  #23

Oh wow, this is what I was praying for :p
I really like the 24mm focal length on my 40D, maybe I can sell my 28 1.8 and buy this instead. Rather than changing lenses I could pick up one of these :D

Now only to hope for decent ISO because this would likely be my low light camera (for mostly things like parties and poker tournaments). Certainly a small solution and a great backup / addition camera. I can already see myself using this together with my 40D switching between 11-16 and 50-135. That way I'll always have a wide/normal perspective and can add Wide or portraits.

The hot shoe makes it even better because I shoot OCF almost exclusively and I'm already used to manual flashes, so no need to ditch ETTL for this. I just hope it'll be affordable. Tbh, I'd spend around $500 on a good 24 f/2 lens (if it existed), so if this is anywhere near that and their sensor is ok, why not?

Some of my lenses focus beyond infinity...!
~Michael
Gear | Flickr (external link)
"My featured shots" (external link)

Ainoko
Stupidest Question Award 2008
1,406 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Sep 20, 2010 02:51 |  #24

Non-interchangeable lenses? That is a little disappointing, but not a deal breaker.

Full Gear List
https://photography-on-the.net …?p=4846834&post​count=1005

Tee ­ Why
"Monkey's uncle"
10,596 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 20, 2010 03:06 as a reply to  @ Ainoko's post |  #25

I'm very excited about this camera. I'm glad I didn't jump into the EVIL cameras yet as none had a good implementation of the EVF IMO, as I didn't like paying for a little EVF to stick onto a hotshoe.

This Hybrid system is even better with dual EVF built into the body or an optical viewfinder. Styling is wonderful. Looks small enough, compact appearing, I don't think the lens extends out like in digicams, and the lens if fast enough at f2.

Thirty five mm focal length is a standard wide, commonly used for street PJ/urban shooting and that's what I want. I'm a touch disappointed with the lack of a lens mount but that's not a huge deal for me as I'd probably just get one pancake for general use anyway.

Thsi camera looks a lot like the X1 with similar sizes, similar sounding 12MP CMOS sensor, and an 8 element in 6 groups 23/24mm fixed lens. Looking at the mode/shutter speed idal, shutter button, and the rear button and LCD palcement, along with the hooks for the neckstraps, looks a lot like the X1 from Leica, so I'm wondering if there was some co-development with Leica as Panasonic and Leica used to have for their digicams and such.

As for price, considering other EVIL cameras like the Panasonic GF1 is now in the mid $700's, I'd hope Fuji is realistic and puts the MSRP at $899. But if I recall with their S5 and S3 dslr's they tended to overprice their cameras, so I'm expecting maybe $1099 MSRP which may drop to about $800 down the road. Just my guessing that's all.
But I'd like to see the price at $700 street, I think at that price it should sell like hotcakes.

Gallery: http://tomyi.smugmug.c​om/ (external link)

Ainoko
Stupidest Question Award 2008
1,406 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Sep 20, 2010 03:11 |  #26

The more I think about it, I'd want one of these as a walk-around lens to replace my bulky SLR. And then I think I'd want to be able to switch lenses. But then I'd have to buy more lenses, and then carry them around with me which would add bulk, which is the entire point of me getting a smaller camera.

If I need to switch up lenses, I'll bring my SLR.

Full Gear List
https://photography-on-the.net …?p=4846834&post​count=1005

Tee ­ Why
"Monkey's uncle"
10,596 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 20, 2010 03:28 as a reply to  @ Ainoko's post |  #27

See having a fixed lens prevents you from building up a second system of lenses.
Also rather than the exposure compensation dial, I would have preferred an ISO dial, so you can control aperture by the base of the lens, shutter speed with the dial left of the shutter release and ISO with the button right of the shutter release.

That way you can press a button and move that little dial in the back to adjust the exposure compensation, like most dslr's do.

Yeah, I'd like one to carry around with me just walking around the streets. It looks small enough to do that with.

Gallery: http://tomyi.smugmug.c​om/ (external link)

Andrushka
"all warm and fuzzy"
3,735 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 20, 2010 03:48 |  #28
bannedPermanently

this is a cool looking camera... I hope its not a ton of money :-(

http://www.paradigmpho​tographyoc.com (external link)

sth_
811 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 20, 2010 04:19 |  #29

Anyone else like to see Canon do something like this but with interchangable lenses and the possibility to mount EF/EF-S lenses via an adapter?! That way you could use it as a compact travel camera as well as a small backup-body.

My completely outdated Flickr (external link) :: Gear

Rudi
Goldmember
3,751 posts
Joined Mar 2002

Sep 20, 2010 04:42 |  #30

Why they don't need laxatives in Germany:

http://borrowedmoment.​blogspot.com …-eating-leicas-lunch.html (external link)

I want one! :D

• Wedding Photographer - Sydney and Wollongong (external link)
• Borrowed Moment (blog) (external link)

Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.

sponsored links

176,845 views & 0 likes for this thread
Fuji FinePix X100
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.