Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 19 Sep 2010 (Sunday) 19:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Fuji FinePix X100

cptrios
Goldmember
1,744 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 25, 2011 10:10 |  #631

ofdphoto wrote in post #12817384 (external link)
But, I use my 5D2+35/1.4L almost exclusively for personal shooting ... I'm sure that's not true for everyone.

Hell, that's probably what I would do if I had the money for a 35L. At the moment, though, I'd need to sell every other lens I've got to get one!

Fuji X100 / Sony NEX-7 / Contax G 45mm f/2 / The ghosts of 3 Canon bodies past / A meagre amount of talent
My weak lil' 500px (external link)

sponsored links
david ­ lacey
968 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 25, 2011 11:31 as a reply to  @ cptrios's post |  #632

If they can't produce products fast enough to stay up with demand they are not going anywhere. To hold back if that is what they are doing is silly with technology because it changes so fast. Soon there will be a better version out there and it is likely that it will not be a Fuji. Don't get me wrong I still want one but as time passes I realize that it's eating into it's short lived life.
If I owned the X100 now and something better came out I would just make due with what I had but because I don't have one I would spend the money on the newer better camera.
I just hope Canon is paying attention and feels like making something like this in the near future.

darktiger
Goldmember
1,944 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jul 25, 2011 15:02 |  #633

Yeah it would be cool if canon produced something similar.. but in the mean time I will keep on enjoying mine :)

My Flickr (external link)
My Gear
My Zenfolio (external link)

david ­ lacey
968 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 25, 2011 15:33 |  #634

darktiger wrote in post #12820114 (external link)
Yeah it would be cool if canon produced something similar.. but in the mean time I will keep on enjoying mine :)

I am just mad because I am taking a short trip soon and I would like to have a X100 like you, but I don't. I guess I will bring the heavy.

jayvuu
136 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 26, 2011 06:11 |  #635

cptrios wrote in post #12815821 (external link)
Have any of you lucky X100 owners actually gotten it as a replacement for your SLR system? I have this small, yet relatively vocal part of me that says "Psst. Sell everything, get an X100, and put the rest of your money toward other pursuits." I would miss the IQ of my current setup ever so much...but I wouldn't miss the size and weight!

Seriously though, the likelihood of that happening is just about zilch...but I can't completely shake the idea.

i don't own a x100 YET, but i can't see myself selling off all my DSLR equipment. keep in mind, each camera serves different purposes.

Canon 5D MKII/Canon 17-40mm F4L/Sigma 50mm F1.4/Canon 430ex II

Rainyday
Goldmember
1,117 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 26, 2011 20:03 |  #636

amoergosum wrote in post #12812495 (external link)
Good point.
Check out Zack Arias' brilliant review on his blog >>>
http://zackarias.com …gadgets/fuji-x100-review/ (external link)

+1 on the review. It's awesome!

smugfuzz
48 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 27, 2011 19:35 |  #637

cptrios wrote in post #12815821 (external link)
Have any of you lucky X100 owners actually gotten it as a replacement for your SLR system? I have this small, yet relatively vocal part of me that says "Psst. Sell everything, get an X100, and put the rest of your money toward other pursuits." I would miss the IQ of my current setup ever so much...but I wouldn't miss the size and weight!

Seriously though, the likelihood of that happening is just about zilch...but I can't completely shake the idea.

I'm seriously thinking this too. I don't have much time for photography (ie weddings and strobist stuff) and thinking maybe it would be better to just have a x100 with me at all times.

If you aren't going to be printing and only posting pictures online of travels and just daily life, does it make sense to sell gear and buy an x100?

Dan
5dii, 40D,
17-40L, 24TSE II, 35L, 85L II, 100 MP ZE

wishlf
405 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 27, 2011 20:18 |  #638

smugfuzz wrote in post #12834239 (external link)
I'm seriously thinking this too. I don't have much time for photography (ie weddings and strobist stuff) and thinking maybe it would be better to just have a x100 with me at all times.

If you aren't going to be printing and only posting pictures online of travels and just daily life, does it make sense to sell gear and buy an x100?

It does make sense. In fact I am selling my Nikon gears, 24 1.4, Sigma 85 1.4. Even primes are heavy if you add them up. Getting a X100, and Pentax and couple pentax primes for the light weight. 2 lens from pentax are just 12 OZ. My vacation gear is going to be 3 lbs total!!! And in the city I am just going to shoot with X100.

K-5 [31 LTD F/1.8] [100 MACRO WR F/2.8]

cptrios
Goldmember
1,744 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 27, 2011 21:57 |  #639

smugfuzz wrote in post #12834239 (external link)

Don't even worry about printing...the IQ from the X100 is fantastic and should handle even 20x30s very well.

By the way, I was just thinking...I hope that the X100's success inspires somebody to make a fast, 22mm APS-C prime. A 22/1.8 maybe. That would be awesome, and totally doable at a reasonable size given the fact that it doesn't need to cover a FF image circle.

Fuji X100 / Sony NEX-7 / Contax G 45mm f/2 / The ghosts of 3 Canon bodies past / A meagre amount of talent
My weak lil' 500px (external link)

Csae
Goldmember
3,350 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 07, 2011 22:40 |  #640

Hey guys, got my x100 and used it for a few days.

Love it.

Heres a quick random shot :

IMAGE: http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/219/9/e/lost_gardener_01_by_saintcase-d45sfa0.jpg

i have to say, i am changing my style for this camera a little bit, i no longer care about technical details just the subject matter and artistic style, i normally don't do any heavy PP or effects but i love it with this camera, i am also leaving auto iso on, and av mode, i usually loosely frame in OVF, but if i get annoyed or want some specific lines i'll just switch to the EVF, i keep my VFs usually pretty empty of all the info though and last but not least i'm leaving it in JPG :D

Its a fun camera for me and will likely stay on my side more then my 5d2. I would have to pick the 5d2 if i could only have one of them though, but its a nice addition.

That being said, i am having a hard time with the accessories, what the hell, 100$ for a thumb hold hotshoe adapter? Kidding me? 150$ for letting me use filters and a hood?!?!? 200$ For a case??

I managed to hunt down a filter adapter and lens hood for 50$ or so, which is about as much i would ever be willing to pay, but i can't find a pleasing case for it :( I would like something where i can hide the LCD and back buttons and just pretend its a film camera, but all the ones i saw were above 100$, the cheap 25$ ones all have a cutout for the LCD, which i do not want.

If anyone finds such a case let me know!

I think im gonna hunt down a broken down film camera with a thumb rewind drive and just rip that apart for my x100, i need something, the grip is pathetic on it, but i am not shelling out that much for such a simple and tiny product.

Feel free to call me Case.
CasePhoto.ca (external link) - FanPage (external link)
-Montreal based Photography.

shimmishim
Goldmember
1,602 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 07, 2011 22:46 |  #641

Instead of the $150 lens hood from fujifilm...

http://www.amazon.com/​gp/product/B0057LB0EW (external link)

It looks like it's out of stock at the moment... but it's an adapter + leica style hood. It's pretty sweet.

Call me John | JSP Blog (external link) | flickr (external link) |facebook (external link) | twitter (external link)
Canon 5D Mark III + a few L lenses
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=654812

dtufino
Goldmember
4,040 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 08, 2011 07:58 as a reply to  @ post 12817471 |  #642

I've had my X100 and sold it for a profit several months ago... lol

but now i'm at the point where i want to take a HUGE break from DSLR photography and get me a rangefinder type camera... so i'm def. gonna pick up a Fuji x100 as soon as they are available again....

-David T.
www.dtufinophoto.com (external link)

@dtufino_photo (external link)
flickr (external link)

PFDarkside
265 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 08, 2011 08:10 |  #643

How are you guys finding the night performance, especially when it comes to pin point light sources? Are the halos apparent or was that one or two bad copies floating around?

dtufino
Goldmember
4,040 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 08, 2011 08:14 as a reply to  @ PFDarkside's post |  #644

If you go a few pages back,. i have posted some night street phorography... this thing out performs any DSLR on noise in the night....

-David T.

flickr (external link)

dtufino
Goldmember
4,040 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 08, 2011 08:16 as a reply to  @ dtufino's post |  #645

https://photography-on-the.net …read.php?t=9339​45&page=37

-David T.

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

154,815 views & 0 likes for this thread
Fuji FinePix X100
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.