Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 19 Sep 2010 (Sunday) 19:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Fuji FinePix X100

justaf ­ IREMAN
Goldmember
1,148 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 24, 2011 20:17 |  #766

I think I'm sold on it. My 24L is mostly used with family outing. The X100 should be a good, compact replacement. I'll have to get around the reported AF performance.

current gear...1DIII, X-E1, X-PRO 1, X100, Lumix LX5, Fujinon 35 1.4, 85LII, 430EXII, 430EX....
past canon gear....XS, 7D, 2 5DII, 2 1DIII, , 18-55IS, 24-70L, 85 F1.8, 85LII, 35F2, 35L, 24L, 200 F2L, 580EXII....

sponsored links
dtufino
Goldmember
4,040 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 24, 2011 20:20 |  #767

justaf IREMAN wrote in post #13300632 (external link)
I think I'm sold on it. My 24L is mostly used with family outing. The X100 should be a good, compact replacement. I'll have to get around the reported AF performance.

i never had AF isses, the only thing was AF slowness.... that;s all

-David T.
www.dtufinophoto.com (external link)

@dtufino_photo (external link)
flickr (external link)

darktiger
Goldmember
1,944 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 24, 2011 21:18 |  #768

Same here, I never had any autofocus issues.. mine was slow in low light (like the 85L or 50L on a 5dmkII body). But fireware 1.11 has improvement AF for me a little..

My Flickr (external link)
My Gear
My Zenfolio (external link)

Csae
Goldmember
3,350 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 24, 2011 22:13 |  #769

AF-C has improved things for me considerably in terms of AF.

Without it my keeper rate was pretty hit or miss and the focus was rather slow even in normal light.

If having something compact to carry around wasn't high on my list, i would definitely stick to the 5d2 though, even with a cheap 35f2, definitely so with a 24L, the IQ and ISO, and AF are just much better for me, but not to the point where i would give up my x100, its just too compact and the photos i take with it are just... not important, just snapshots, life moments, if i had a kid i would probably stick to the 5d2 because having the photos would be more important personally.

Feel free to call me Case.
CasePhoto.ca (external link) - FanPage (external link)
-Montreal based Photography.

clipper_from_oz
Goldmember
2,623 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Oct 25, 2011 00:50 as a reply to  @ post 13299505 |  #770

New firmware update out ......AF a lot better now in low light

Regarding comparisons above....The iq is good but obviously not as good as my $1,800 24-70 L lens and my 5dMk2 body...But its IQ is certainly up there!....And its colors....definitely better than a 5dMk2 ......especially in RAW mode...IMO This is the best street camera available on the market at its price point of $1200. The Olympus e p sony nex equivalent dont come near the x100 iq wise . See what Ken Rockwell thinks of the colors here http://www.kenrockwell​.com/fuji/x100/sample-images.htm (external link)

Clipper
5DSR,5DMkII,Fuji XPRO1,X-T1&X-T20,Fotoman 6x17cm Large Format Panorama Camera,Mamiya Universal 6x9
Canon EF 16-35mm f4 L, 17mm TSE f4 L,50mm f1.4, 24-70 f2.8 L, 70-200mm F4 L, 85mm f1.8, 100-400mm II L,
EF 400mm f2.8 IS II L, Fujinon XF18mmf2, XF35mmf1.4, XF60mm f2, XF18-55f2.8-4.5, XF55-200f4
Rodenstock, Sinar& Nikkor LF lens for Pano (75,95,150+210mm)
flickr (external link)

Csae
Goldmember
3,350 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 25, 2011 03:27 as a reply to  @ clipper_from_oz's post |  #771

I am a bit curious as to the DR feature, anyone use it for any noticeable good ?

dtufino
Goldmember
4,040 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 25, 2011 08:04 as a reply to  @ Csae's post |  #772

i'm re-buyijg this camera... :-) might get it used as X100 users are selling to pick up the NEX7, which will be on back order until January due to the floods in Thailand...

-David T.
www.dtufinophoto.com (external link)

@dtufino_photo (external link)
flickr (external link)

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 25, 2011 08:30 as a reply to  @ dtufino's post |  #773

Csae wrote in post #13302425 (external link)
I am a bit curious as to the DR feature, anyone use it for any noticeable good ?

it's for JPEGs only, but I've heard it works well (it might flag the RAWs for their software but I'm a LR guy).

And FYI, my camera shipped with 1.11 and all my AF comments still hold true, it's NOT a fast camera AF wise. I've switched to AF-C and that's helped a ton. The other trick is to use the AFL button on the back. The camera will have your subject in focus on it's own, but if you then just press the shutter (if you haven't had it half pressed) it then completely refocuses and usually MISSES.... And yes I'm normally a half press guy, but when you leave it in AF-C it just focuses all the time w/o pressing the button. It's almost like the AF works different hands off in AF-C mode -vs- half pressed in the same mode. It's hard to explain, but yeah, it works very well using AF-C and then the AFL button THEN the shutter.

but it's still frustratingly slow. I'm considering selling it to grab the sony 24mm 1.8 because I already have the NEX5 and it AFs faster. My NEX is beatup and it's also my fisheye, so I'm not selling it (couldn't get enough out of a used and ugly 5 with the 5n available) and if I'm going to keep that why not just get the lens for it? It's also MUCH more comfortable to hold... But I keep coming back to the IQ. The X100 is amazing there (but my 7D beats it in landscapes at base ISOs interestingly). Tough choice. I REALLY wish the NEX7 had their 16mp sensor from the 5n. I love the controls on it, but I think if anything I'll either keep my 5 or maybe get a 5n?

Here's two 6400 bar shots (yes they're -1 EV, it wanted to make these way lighter with a super slow shutter speed on me):

IMAGE: http://www.benjacobsenphoto.com/blog/wp-content/gallery/nsopgiving-2011/finepix-x100-dscf0622.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.benjacobsenphoto.com/blog/wp-content/gallery/nsopgiving-2011/finepix-x100-dscf0631.jpg

yes there's noise and maybe even some banding, but it's usable for what I do. It's the AF that's killer, I was out with three photo buddies and they'd pose for a shot and the AF would be so far off they'd think I was done and be like "wtf is taking it so long". Just holding it and playing with it's AF NONE of them were impressed with it (after hearing so much about it).

you can see a ton more shots here from a BBQ with both my NEX and X100 if you want to compare: http://www.benjacobsen​photo.com …nal/nsop/nsopgi​ving-2011/ (external link)

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,644 posts
Gallery: 1656 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Oct 25, 2011 09:45 |  #774

AF's starting to frustrate you too, Ben? Maybe Fuji will get it right next time if firmwares can't fix it this time around.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

Csae
Goldmember
3,350 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 25, 2011 12:23 |  #775

They should fix MF too while they're at it then, its a rather expensive camera for such a ****ty MF system.

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 25, 2011 14:50 |  #776

jwcdds wrote in post #13303431 (external link)
AF's starting to frustrate you too, Ben? Maybe Fuji will get it right next time if firmwares can't fix it this time around.

not starting too, it has since I picked it up...

Csae wrote in post #13304217 (external link)
They should fix MF too while they're at it.

yes they should but I'm not sure they can. It uses an optical sensor (dumb idea) to sense the movement in the ring. In low light it can't see that movement as well. :confused:

Csae wrote in post #13304217 (external link)
its a rather expensive camera

is it expensive to have these fundamental issues? You bet. But people KEEP saying to me $1200 is too much for this. But what else competes? MFT can't touch it on the ISO level and the sony lineup can only compete with their $1000 zeiss 24mm (unless you happen to prefer 50mm). And even then, but the time you buy any MFT camera or NEX with a fast lens you're right around this price anyway, nevermind adding an EVF and you'll never get an OVF. There are tradeoffs everywhere in all these smaller systems. With the X100 it's the fixed lens and AF and menus. IQ is amazing though.

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

Csae
Goldmember
3,350 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 25, 2011 16:01 |  #777

Well, for the price, you can get a 5d1 +35f2, and have alot of the same capabilities, iso & iq, as well as better more consistent focusing and actual MF.

Tradeoff is the size of course, but hey, i bought mine, i love it, but it wasn't an easy decision and if i had to give up any of my current cameras, sadly, it'd be the one to go from a performance POV.

Oddly enough, the cameras with the most quirks are the ones i get attached to, so i've gotten fairly attached to my x100 and have alot of fun using it, but, and this is a big but, considering a year before i bought the x100 i was using a 5d(1 or 2? cant remember) with a 35f2, i was enjoying the end results more.

I can point to a number of my prints from those travelling around days, wherehas with the x100 even though i enjoy using the camera, i haven't had any interesting prints from it yet. I hope i'll get better used to it.

reprazent
Goldmember
1,045 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 26, 2011 02:33 |  #778

jacobsen1 wrote in post #13303063 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

yes there's noise and maybe even some banding, but it's usable for what I do. It's the AF that's killer, I was out with three photo buddies and they'd pose for a shot and the AF would be so far off they'd think I was done and be like "wtf is taking it so long". Just holding it and playing with it's AF NONE of them were impressed with it (after hearing so much about it).

I had similar results at the bar last time. I got maybe 1 out of 10 that was a keeper. Not that I care much about what my friends say, like they think my 5D's AF is sluggish :rolleyes: but the X100 AF is unreliable (especially in lower light situations) and manual focus (by twisting the ring a few dozen times) is out of the question. Good IQ and high ISO performance is pretty useless this way..

gearlist | flickr (external link)

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 26, 2011 08:09 |  #779

Csae wrote in post #13305456 (external link)
Well, for the price, you can get a 5d1 +35f2, and have alot of the same capabilities, iso & iq, as well as better more consistent focusing and actual MF.

yep, I owned that exact pair for a while as well, and loved the results, but for me this camera is not about that because of the size. I bought a GF1 w/20mm when they first came out and fell in love with having an almost P&S sized camera that could perform significantly better. I've since upgraded that to a NEX5 which is better in low light even with it's f/2.8 pancake. I'm now trying the X100 as it's better in low light IQ wise, but yeah, AF is terrible. We'll see if I keep it. I'm very close to picking up a ~$30 CCTV 35mm 1.4 for the NEX to see how it does in low light with a propper lens. It will be MF but at least I'll see how the IQ is in low light situations where I'd actually use it and see if waiting for their E-mount fast primes might be the answer for me. If their 24mm Zeiss wasn't $1000 I know it'd be my answer... I'm hoping to see all these lenses and options at photoexpo Friday.

reprazent wrote in post #13308099 (external link)
but the X100 AF is unreliable. Good IQ and high ISO performance is pretty useless this way..

agreed. I will say, using AF-C and then the AFL improved my results a TON. That is what was so frustrating for me, the shot would BE in focus on it's own in AF-C. Half pressing the shutter in either AF-C or AF-S would knock it OUT of focus... Manual didn't work either. Then letting AF-C just focus all the time on it's own, I found it was almost always in the right spot when I'd go to shoot, so just stabbing the AFL button let me take pics, and if I was shooting the same subject I could roll of quite a few in a row since it stays locked until you press it again to unlock it (it's an option in the menu).

The roll over between when it thinks it needs macro and not is still frustrating since sitting around a small bar table, the guys on either side of me where right inside that mark, and the guy across the table outside, but the more I use the X100 the more I come up with ways I can trick the system into working for me. I agree we shouldn't HAVE to trick it, if it had the sony's AF system (which isn't the best) it'd be more than good enough. They went w/o a macro mode at all (on the 16mm pancake) and it works significantly better. I'd kill for the X100 to have the P3's AF....

My Gear List

my sites:
GND buyers FAQ

jfueng
61 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 28, 2011 16:41 as a reply to  @ jacobsen1's post |  #780

I just sold my G11 and now I have to hunt down a Fuji x100. The shallow depth of field I've seen in some photos is too irresistible.

sponsored links

157,513 views & 0 likes for this thread
Fuji FinePix X100
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.