Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 19 Sep 2010 (Sunday) 19:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Fuji FinePix X100

jayvuu
136 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 06, 2012 20:12 |  #856

justaf IREMAN wrote in post #13655660 (external link)
Yes, because of its size compared to the 5D2/35L combo I used to own. Its easier to shoot stealthy with the X100 and the IQ is almost comparable to the 5D2.

thanks for the input. Im leaning towards the x100 because of size and stealthy for street photog.

Canon 5D MKII/Canon 17-40mm F4L/Sigma 50mm F1.4/Canon 430ex II

sponsored links
justaf ­ IREMAN
Goldmember
1,148 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 07, 2012 01:36 |  #857

hieu1004 wrote in post #13657697 (external link)
I use the 5d2+35l combo almost exclusively as well as the x100. As good as the x100 is, it is no replacement for FF+ an L lens. It is convenient for when you can't carry a DSLR and should be used in addition, but to me, it is no replacement. The 5d2 doesnt have the best AF in the world, but the AF of the x100 doesn't hold a candle to the 5d mark II, especially with a 35L.. This is my opinion, YMMV

I agree with this, the X100 will not replace my DSLR it compliments it. The AF on the X100 is no match for the 5D2's center focus point but it holds its own on the outer focus point. Once you learn how the X100's AF works, you'll get more keepers and focus lock even in low light.

I almost exclusively shoot MF and using the AEL/AFL button (equivalent to the back button focus on the Canon's).

jayvuu wrote in post #13660470 (external link)
thanks for the input. Im leaning towards the x100 because of size and stealthy for street photog.

Set it on silent mode, manual focus and keep the subject in the DOF range and nobody will know you're taking their picture. It's very quiet.

current gear...1DIII, X-E1, X-PRO 1, X100, Lumix LX5, Fujinon 35 1.4, 85LII, 430EXII, 430EX....
past canon gear....XS, 7D, 2 5DII, 2 1DIII, , 18-55IS, 24-70L, 85 F1.8, 85LII, 35F2, 35L, 24L, 200 F2L, 580EXII....

clipper_from_oz
Goldmember
2,956 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Jan 15, 2012 01:11 as a reply to  @ jayvuu's post |  #858

This first pic was straight off the camera and shot JPEG( only PP was slight vignette)...Pic of my son surf fishing at Murramarang National Park early this week ..Its amazing how well the camera can meter scenes spot on like this given the bright conditions!..Typical of the Fuji medium formats I remember from film days which also had very good on camera metering . The jpeg was set to Velvia...and it has a Velvia look to it if you look at the blues. I can also see an ever so slight purple /magenta cast in this shot that is also a trademark of velvia. As I have said in previous posts I would never ever consider shooting jpeg till I got this camera.

Also attached is another shot I posted under wildlife of a wild kangaroo that I thought I would add here also for the people considering an x100. The shallow DOF the fujinon lens gives is soo good for these sorts of quick snaps on the go.

regards

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Clipper
R5, 5DSR,5DMkII,Fuji XPRO1,X-T1&X-T20,Fotoman 6x17cm Large Format Panorama Camera,Mamiya Universal 6x9
Canon EF 16-35mm f4 L, 17mm TSE f4 L,50mm f1.4, 24-70 f2.8 L, 70-200mm F4 L, 85mm f1.8, 100-400mm II L,
EF 400mm f2.8 IS II L, Fujinon XF18mmf2, XF35mmf1.4, XF60mm f2, XF18-55f2.8-4.5, XF55-200f4
Rodenstock, Sinar& Nikkor LF lens for Pano (75,95,150+210mm)
flickr (external link)

chopperdave
Goldmember
1,198 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 15, 2012 12:31 |  #859

Just a few pics form a car show yesterday.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

David
davidmoorephoto.com (external link)
More Than Pnup (external link)
I feel like I've gone back in time.

chumlee
Goldmember
1,989 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 20, 2012 05:50 |  #860

I'm looking for one of these lmk what you have!

Leica M3 | Contax G2 |
No, I'm not the guy from Pawn Stars...

chris ­ joy
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 21, 2012 08:56 |  #861

Good, but not great...

Sadly my time with the X100 has come to an end. While IQ is fantastic, the AF in low light and no manual focus is just too frustrating for me. Its really slow, I find myself waiting for the camera to finish writing more than any other I've owned in recent years. It freezes up on occasion too. Its definitely not for everyone. When you nailed the shot, it certainly looks great.

Also, the EVF is terrible on the X100, very slow refresh rate and low resolution so you have to trust the camera is nailing focus. The X100 essentially became a $1200 P&S since I always used the LCD. I just got tired of working around the limitations. I had a Nex5 and I got to play with a Nex7. The EVF, speed and IQ of the Nex7 sold me almost instantly. The Nex 5n/7 both resolve more detail when printed, that combined with better AF and the stunning EVF on the 7 pushed me over the edge. The Nex7 may be the 5d2 killer I've been looking for, time will tell.

I would personally opt for the Nex5n with the Zeiss 24/1.8 for just a few hundred more than the X100 unless you absolutely have to have the OVF. With low light or really bright light (I live in Florida so there's always sun), I found the OVF to be useless so I rarely used it. The X100 certainly has its fans that will probably flame me, but it just didn't work for me. Those are just my experiences, YMMV.

Two of my favorites, some awesome pizza and my awesome wife stealing a bite from my slice. SOOC jpeg's.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

BryantFC
Goldmember
2,606 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 21, 2012 09:31 |  #862

IMAGE: http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6224/6999101399_30e981ed02_c.jpg

Mamiya M645 1000S, Mamiya RZ67, Polaroid SX-70 Alpha, Polaroid 250 Auto Land Camera, Leica M3, Canon Elan II
www.bryantphethmanh.co​m (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/bryantphethmanh​/ (external link)

ahendarman
851 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Mar 21, 2012 13:24 |  #863

Firmware 1.20 (external link) is out
Check it out.
Besides the documented changes, it also improves AF speed, MFD and MF focus ring speed noticeably.
I would say it's usable in MF now.

Gear | Smugmug (external link)

chris ­ joy
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 21, 2012 13:37 |  #864

ahendarman wrote in post #14126698 (external link)
Firmware 1.20 (external link) is out
Check it out.

Nice, it only took them a year to make the raw button assignable, and they do it three days after I sell my camera. Oh well...

cptrios
Goldmember
1,744 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 22, 2012 00:56 |  #865

chris joy wrote in post #14125159 (external link)
The Nex 5n/7 both resolve more detail when printed,

True, but you need an excellent lens to get them to do it. My NEX-7/G45 combo produces a hugely impressive amount of detail, but the three E-Mount lenses I've tried on it (16/2.8, 18-55 kit, 30 macro) have all made me hang my head in sadness and despair.

that combined with better AF and the stunning EVF on the 7 pushed me over the edge.

So far I've actually not been impressed with the 7's EVF - at least not as much as I'd hoped to be. It's definitely better than the X100's, but not by a tremendous degree. One thing that bothers me to no end is that you have to have your eye directly centered, down to the millimeter, in order to avoid blurring.

I would personally opt for the Nex5n with the Zeiss 24/1.8 for just a few hundred more than the X100 unless you absolutely have to have the OVF.

Or unless you need something small. The size of the 24/1.8 totally negates the compactness of the 5n (or the 7, for that matter). The X100, however, fits in all of my jacket and cargo pockets. I will say, though, that the 5n is a really excellent deal for the IQ of which it's capable. One extra jogwheel wouldn't kill them, though!

With low light or really bright light (I live in Florida so there's always sun), I found the OVF to be useless so I rarely used it. The X100 certainly has its fans that will probably flame me, but it just didn't work for me. Those are just my experiences, YMMV.

No flaming here. The X100 is a huge case of "to each their own." I personally love the OVF and get a bit depressed when I switch over to the EVF on the 7. I agree on bright light, though - it does make framing tough.

I dunno, maybe it's because I lusted after one for well over a year, but I'm totally infatuated with my X100. It's definitely slower than I'd like, but other than that it feels pretty much like the photography experience I've always wanted. I doubt I'd be happy for long with it as my only camera, though.

Fuji X100 / Sony NEX-7 / Contax G 45mm f/2 / The ghosts of 3 Canon bodies past / A meagre amount of talent
My weak lil' 500px (external link)

chris ­ joy
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 22, 2012 08:49 |  #866

Well, no camera is perfect, but after the luster of new gear wore off the X100, its shortcomings just became more and more annoying for me. The complete lack of MF just drove me nuts because with every other camera I own, if there's any issue locking focus I just focus manually. The lack of MF made it a $1200 point and shoot, for that you can get the 5n, 16mm, 18-55 and 50/1.8.

I find the tri-navi controls and assignable buttons on the Nex7 to be absolutely brilliant. The Zeiss does add some size to the Nex, but its not like I was putting the X100 in my back pocket either, it was always in my laptop bag. Maybe I have a great copy, but my kit lens easily out resolves the X100, the Zeiss is in another world and I also have some nice Rokkors to adapt and I may get a few of the Contax G's - all will give me more detail than the X100 is capable of producing. As far as the great Fuji colors, I process in raw and the DXO film simulations are just brilliant, so I'm not losing anything there either. Lastly, I shoot a lot of video and the X100 video is a disaster since you can't keep the camera from changing exposure.

It just wasn't for me.

aladyforty
Goldmember
4,291 posts
Gallery: 355 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 10, 2012 21:33 |  #867

love my X100, havnt even done firmware update, I can work around anything. Some recent photos

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

FUJI XT3 CANON 5D3 & a bunch of lenses for both
https://500px.com/alad​yforty (external link) https://www.flickr.com​/photos/25426422@N00/ (external link)

shakyhand
241 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 23, 2012 06:28 |  #868

Rezolution wrote in post #12934805 (external link)
I love this thing! Its a PITA though :lol:

QUOTED IMAGE

What hand strap is that? Where can I get it??

Don't bother my sig anymore. I sold everything off and got the X100

7D, 450D, EF17-40L, EF70-200/2.8L IS, 580EX, 550EX,..... Benro C-427 CF Tripod, Markin M10 Ballhead;

With all these gears, my photos still suck

reprazent
Goldmember
1,045 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 23, 2012 14:08 |  #869

Looks like the gordy strap

gearlist | flickr (external link)

helloagain36
Goldmember
1,493 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 24, 2012 15:19 as a reply to  @ reprazent's post |  #870

My dog needed surgery on her knee last Friday and is unable to go up and down stairs...so we are currently staying at my moms house for her recovery. Here are a few x100 shots I've snapped during fits of boredom around the house. I only have my iPad with me so all the processing is done with Snapseed.

IMAGE: http://www.dbwimages.com/photos/i-xQfXchN/0/XL/i-xQfXchN-XL.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.dbwimages.com/photos/i-6XhsCdF/0/M/i-6XhsCdF-M.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.dbwimages.com/photos/i-DDbcXmF/0/XL/i-DDbcXmF-XL.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.dbwimages.com/photos/i-g8h7HBL/0/M/i-g8h7HBL-M.jpg

-Dave

sponsored links

167,763 views & 0 likes for this thread
Fuji FinePix X100
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.