Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 20 Sep 2010 (Monday) 00:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What to use?

Koshin
275 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 20, 2010 00:06 |  #1

What do you guys use to support your large lenses while attached to a body? I hate that the lens are so big putting all the pressure and weight on the body connection. I almost need like a nice strap or something. Was just looking for suggestions other than shoestrings and fishing line lol

VISIThttp://GarageSpec.net (external link)

sponsored links
ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 20, 2010 00:31 |  #2

You mean when using a tripod or when hand holding?

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Koshin
THREAD ­ STARTER
275 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 20, 2010 00:36 as a reply to  @ ben_r_'s post |  #3

more for when I have them hanging on my neck, a lot of the time when Im shooting I get tired of holding them up becasue of the weight and I HATE to let them hang there with all the pressure on the ring wher the lens meets the body. More like a suport strap for the lens when its hanging there.

btw, I love your avatar. Is that from Digital Blasphemy? I love that site

viktorsundberg
218 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 20, 2010 04:03 |  #4

I don't hang my camera around my neck, that can't be very good for you, especially if you have a heavy lens on. I have my camera with the strap over one shoulder, in my hand or fixed on a tripod resting over my shoulder (when I only move around on one location.) It really depends on the type of photography you are doing really. With a big lens on, you normally don't move around that much and if you do, maybe you should just pack it in a backpack between locations.

A few years ago I also had a climbing hook attached to my camera strap, close to the body. That way, you can attach this hook to the straps of your backpack so that the camera rests on your chest. This doesn't work well with heavy lenses though. Works very well with wide angle. This way you CAN have the strap around your neck, but there is never actually any weight on it.

There is also something called a camera holster, maybe they are good?

Hanging your camera around your neck also looks very amature imo ;)

5D mk III | TS-E 17 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 100 f/2.8L Macro IS | 300 f/2.8L IS | 600 f/4L IS II | 1.4x III | 2x III | Gitzo tripods | RRS ballheads | Wimberley gimbal
Photographer and author from Sweden. Teacher at Canon and organizer of independent workshops. Visit my website: www.viktorsundberg.se (external link)

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 20, 2010 08:51 |  #5

There is a company that makes a neck strap with a sling support for a long lens but I don't remember who does it. Perhaps Optech.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

Koshin
THREAD ­ STARTER
275 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 20, 2010 09:39 as a reply to  @ tvphotog's post |  #6

Yeah, Im not in it to look cool or anything ;). Typically its over the shoulder but even then I still run into the same thing. It doesnt bother me I just worry about my equipment. I have seen guys with support straps on big lens before while I was out shooting. I just didnt know who made them or if they were homemade or something. Ill look into the company mentioned above. Thanks gents

Koshin
THREAD ­ STARTER
275 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 20, 2010 10:24 |  #7

I just found something...thanks guys

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 20, 2010 10:37 |  #8

The 300mm f/2.8 and up have built-in lugs and come with their own straps. I don't usually use one on my 300 but I do use both the lens and the camera strap for the 500mm f/4.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Koshin
THREAD ­ STARTER
275 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 20, 2010 10:45 as a reply to  @ FlyingPhotog's post |  #9

I shot with a 300 2.8 before, it was a big lens. In my opinion, my 300 f/4 should have the same setup. Hell, my 70-200 2.8 should have that setup. I just found a cradle that will fit both and it seems to fit the bill of what I was looking for.

Thanks

sponsored links

1,907 views & 0 likes for this thread
What to use?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.