Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 20 Sep 2010 (Monday) 04:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Full frame - is it everything it's cracked up to be?

Ross_Curtis
184 posts
Joined May 2006

Sep 20, 2010 04:46 |  #1

I am in search of ultimate IQ (even though I never do anything more than view them on the PC and print off the occasional image), which is why I've gone down the route of L primes (Some people say these lenses are wasted on a crop body), the next logical step is a move to FF.
As with any product; owners will always sing its praises, people with FF will swear its a huge improvement on any crop body.* People with crop cameras will aspire to
move to FF, therefore, creating a level of desire as well as giving people the lure of lifting your images to a new level.
There are many examples in the lens sample forum of images taken with XX lens and the 5D II which are stunning.* I've seen some (but certainly nowhere near as many) which are very impressive taken with a crop body.* Is this down to some 5D owners having a higher level of PP skills?
I've heard many people say the difference between the 7D and 5D isn't that great and in many circumstances you'll not notice any difference.* Others will totally contradict this.*
Recently I moved from a 40D to a 7D hoping the IQ would be a huge leap forward, in reality the difference wasn't that huge, of course camera technology has moved on, but close inspection of the results (at low ISO) shows minimal difference, yet I've heard people say the 7D IS a massive leap forward from the 40D.
By moving to full frame will I see similar IQ gains to that of the 40D to 7D I experienced? Not an obvious comparison I know.*
If I'm not going to see 'that much' of an improvement will I be better off sticking with the 7D and adding the Ziess 50MP I so desire.*
On balance I'll probably get more out of buying an additional lens than I would upgrading the camera.
Decisions, decisions.

6D | 24L II | 50MP | 85L II | 200L II | 16-35L F4 IS | Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 | Markings Q10 |

sponsored links
xarqi
Cream of the Crop
10,435 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Sep 20, 2010 05:07 |  #2

I think you'll get more out of practising with what you have.
The difference between a "ho-hum" image, and something stellar is almost never a consequence of the equipment used.
If you are searching for the ultimate in image quality, upgrade yourself.

kcbrown
Cream of the Crop
5,384 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 20, 2010 05:21 |  #3

Ross_Curtis wrote in post #10941448 (external link)
By moving to full frame will I see similar IQ gains to that of the 40D to 7D I experienced? Not an obvious comparison I know.

Not likely at this point. The 7D's resolution is close enough to that of the 5Dmk2 that the detail retention differences will be subtle after you properly postprocess your 7D images (they require more sharpening than those from the 5Dmk2, but that has the effect of bringing the detail back unless you do it very, very wrong).

What full frame will primarily give you is extra depth of field latitude, which you can trade (by going shallower) for better high ISO performance (but the 5Dmk2 has some nasty horizontal banding at very high ISOs, so keep that in mind if the 5Dmk2 is the specific camera you're considering). But if you try to take exactly the same picture (same depth of field, same shutter speed, to achieve the same tonal values in the shot) in exactly the same circumstances with both, you won't see any differences worth talking about (in fact, the 7D may wind up with a slight advantage at higher ISOs in that case). A thread comparing landscape shots between the two can be found here: https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=913638

If I'm not going to see 'that much' of an improvement will I be better off sticking with the 7D and adding the Ziess 50MP I so desire.

Probably, although even that might get you as much of an improvement as you might hope for, depending on the lenses you already have.

Once you get to the level of "L" primes and a sensor such as the one on the 7D, you are entering the realm where significant additional image quality cannot be had by choice of gear, unless you're talking about things like strobes. At that point, improvements to you photographic technique are the only way you'll manage to eke out any significant image quality improvements.

"There are some things that money can't buy, but they aren't Ls and aren't worth having" -- Shooter-boy
Canon: 2 x 7D, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS, 55-250 IS, Sigma 8-16, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4, other assorted primes, and a 430EX.
Nikon: D750, D600, 24-85 VR, 50 f/1.8G, 85 f/1.8G, Tamron 24-70 VC, Tamron 70-300 VC.

NatDeroxL7
Goldmember
1,194 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 20, 2010 06:13 |  #4

I found the biggest difference going from 50D to 5DII was ISO performance and shallower DOF.

Both of which were big improvements, as I am keen on both of those.

I think that people who shoot @ or over ISO 800, and people who like shallower DOF find the greatest contentment in the 35mm format over APS-C.

People who like deeper DOF and better AF performance, shooting sports, feature sets, compactness, etc., will not be as excited by the differences.

Happiness comes from the gear matching you, not from the gear's statistical excellence.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/52047419@N04/ (external link)
http://mpdphotography.​wordpress.com/ (external link)

rklepper
Dignity-Esteem-Compassion
8,994 posts
Joined Dec 2003
Location: No longer living at the center of the known universe, moved just slightly to the right. Iowa, USA.

Sep 20, 2010 06:18 |  #5

FF is a totally different experience. However, I still need and use my crop 7D when it is called for. Best of both worlds in my opinion, 7D and 5DII. Of course that is short of a 1 series, but I am not sure how they would be for travel.

Doc Klepper in the USA
I
am a photorealist, I like my photos with a touch of what was actually there.
Polite C&C always welcome, Thanks. Gear List

DStanic
Cream of the Crop
6,148 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 20, 2010 06:25 |  #6

I noticed a good jump in IQ (especially having great results out of the camera) not needing to PP as much as with the 30D or 40D. In the lens image archive threads that I subscribe to the 7D certainly looks better than the 40D, but I can not say how it directly compares to a 5D series in regards to sharpness or "pop".

Sony A6000, 16-50PZ, 55-210, 35mm 1.8 OSS
Canon 60D, 30D
Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 17-35, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 85mm 1.8

Ianfp
Goldmember
1,775 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2006

Sep 20, 2010 06:44 |  #7

I really like the quality of files from the 5D2. I have made my own comparisons with files from a 7D and I admit that in some cases the difference is marginal. I too want the best IQ possible without moving to a 1D series and I think the 5D2 serves that purpose. However, in the hands of a better photographer than me, I am sure images from a 7D could look better.

Ian
Nikon D850, 85mm f/1.4G
5D2
EF17-40 f/4.0 L, EF135 f/2.0L EF200 f/2.8L

EF24-105L, EF100 f/2.8L Macro. EOS-M, 22mm f/2
Hasselblad 500C/M, Planar 80mm f/2.8

windpig
Chopped liver
14,868 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 20, 2010 06:56 |  #8

Ianfp wrote in post #10941707 (external link)
I really like the quality of files from the 5D2. I have made my own comparisons with files from a 7D and I admit that in some cases the difference is marginal. I too want the best IQ possible without moving to a 1D series and I think the 5D2 serves that purpose. However, in the hands of a better photographer than me, I am sure images from a 7D could look better.

I agree with you.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,866 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Sep 20, 2010 08:10 |  #9

xarqi wrote in post #10941483 (external link)
The difference between a "ho-hum" image, and something stellar is almost never a consequence of the equipment used.

+1

NatDeroxL7 wrote in post #10941627 (external link)
I found the biggest difference going from 50D to 5DII was ISO performance and shallower DOF.

Both of which were big improvements, as I am keen on both of those.

I think that people who shoot @ or over ISO 800, and people who like shallower DOF find the greatest contentment in the 35mm format over APS-C.

People who like deeper DOF and better AF performance, shooting sports, feature sets, compactness, etc., will not be as excited by the differences.

Happiness comes from the gear matching you, not from the gear's statistical excellence.

The 7D has improved the APS-C performance greatly over the 50D, and I agree with your ending comments. Learning your equipment and using it in the best way you can is a bit part of the enjoyment too.

Ianfp wrote in post #10941707 (external link)

I agree, the 5D2 gives new life to old lenses, and certainly adds a great tool to the arsenal. Its high ISO is better than the 7D by just around 1 stop. I ended up doing my own ISO comparison (not IQ test, just ISO) as well. I like doing body and lens comparisons, it is a sickness I have to combat! :)

https://photography-on-the.net …=930196&highlig​ht=7d+5dii

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

nickphoto
126 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 20, 2010 08:13 |  #10

Full frame magic is real. I don't think i'd ever go back.

Gear: D3s, D700, 14-24, 24-70, 70-200VR1, 35mm 1.4g, 50mm 1.4d, 85mm 1.4g, 60mm 2.8 macro, sb26, sb800, Sb900, PW +2's, PW Flex, PW Mini.
http://nickevansphoto.​com (external link)

MNUplander
Goldmember
2,527 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 20, 2010 10:12 |  #11

Im a landscape/occasional wildlife photographer and FF didnt really suit me. The increases in IQ were marginal, I dont particularily care about shallow DOF, and most of the time Im at base ISO's so high ISO performance isnt all that important to me either (90% landscapes, 10% wildlife).

The extra reach and responsiveness of the crop format is much more important for me. Doesnt mean that FF is not right for someone else, but for my style of shooting the crop format just fits better. Just doesnt make sense to lose things important to my style of shooting to gain small improvements with a gap made narrower by PP. Blown up to 20x30, I have just as many nice crop images as FF from my tests and they look equally nice.

Lake Superior and North Shore Landscape Photography (external link)
Buy & Sell Feedback
6D, 16-35 f4 IS, 50 1.2, 100L Macro, 150-600C

shmoogy
505 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 20, 2010 10:39 |  #12

DStanic wrote in post #10941649 (external link)
I noticed a good jump in IQ (especially having great results out of the camera) not needing to PP as much as with the 30D or 40D. In the lens image archive threads that I subscribe to the 7D certainly looks better than the 40D, but I can not say how it directly compares to a 5D series in regards to sharpness or "pop".

It's very difficult to compare differences in IQ through web sized shots, as well as through pictures taken by different people.

In general, you will see a higher caliber of shots in the more expensive lens/camera sections, because the people who generally purchase that level of gear have a high(er) level of skill and/or experience. That's not to say that people who use less expensive equipment take less stunning photographs, I am not saying that at all, do not take that from what I've said.

That being said, I'm really tempted to pick up a 5Dc due to how many times I've seen somebody say: "When I opened up the first RAW image, I said to myself wow" or some variation of that.

5D Mark II, 35L, 24 TS-E, 50 1.8
Canon 1000D

yoyodunno
147 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 20, 2010 10:43 |  #13

xarqi wrote in post #10941483 (external link)

Quoted for truth.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/n00b_photos/ (external link)
I love color.

poah
Goldmember
1,003 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 20, 2010 10:49 |  #14

no you'll actually see an improvement in IQ lol

Ross_Curtis wrote in post #10941448 (external link)
By moving to full frame will I see similar IQ gains to that of the 40D to 7D I experienced? Not an obvious comparison I know.*
*Decisions, decisions.

Free printer profiles PM me for info

roszell
947 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 20, 2010 10:51 |  #15

Yes it is, especially if you have nice glass already. I've gone from an XSi -> 5D and it was a very nice step up. Despite having about the same number of megapixels, the 5D captures way more detail, has better ISO performance, and will produce a thinner dof given the same framing + lens + aperture compared to a crop. Paired with the 135L I just bought it is MAGIC. I have worked on upgrading myself through classes and practice, but some shots are not possible without the right equipment.

Dustin -flickr (external link)
5D
35L 135L 580EX II

sponsored links

12,554 views & 0 likes for this thread
Full frame - is it everything it's cracked up to be?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.