Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 21 Sep 2010 (Tuesday) 16:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help Critique Me

sin
122 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 21, 2010 16:16 |  #1

Hi,
I am new to the forums and still relatively new to shooting.
I would like to see whats do you guys think of some of my better pictures and how I could improve (composition, exposure, etc.) Any tips are appreciated.

Thanks!

These are shot with my Rebel XSi and the 50mm 1.8. Shot in raw, edited in PS

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4144/4994572979_043afb25a3_b.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4080/4792330204_6c8cd6fb31_b.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4141/4792330356_81efd5bfe9_b.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4088/5010174993_880103c3b4_b.jpg

EXIF data can be found on my flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/24098156@N02/ (external link)

HDR IS THE DEVIL

sponsored links
lindsaytblum
Goldmember
2,540 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 21, 2010 16:22 |  #2

Hi sin, and welcome to POTN.
I would say that you're off to a great start! I especially like the second shot (nice composition, colors, and dof).

Canon 7D | 24-70mm f/2.8L II, 135mm f/2.0L, 100mm f/2.8L IS USM, 85mm f/1.8
Portfolio (external link)

Scottdog129
637 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 21, 2010 17:37 |  #3

I like the first one. Good use of DOF. The last one seems a bit under exposed. Pictures like that would benefit from a more dramatic sky or shot at a different time of day.

Scott Thompson - www.sthompsonphoto.com (external link)
Canon EOS 30D - Canon 18-55mm f/3.5 - Sigma 10-20mm f/4 DSM -Canon 55-250mm IS - Canon 50mm f/1.8 II

corkneyfonz
Goldmember
2,477 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 21, 2010 19:43 |  #4

The middle two stand out for me.

My Flickr (external link)

sin
THREAD ­ STARTER
122 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 21, 2010 20:33 |  #5

lindsaytblum wrote in post #10951449 (external link)
Hi sin, and welcome to POTN.
I would say that you're off to a great start! I especially like the second shot (nice composition, colors, and dof).

I absolutely love the second shot as well. Probably my best picture that Ive ever taken.

Scottdog129 wrote in post #10951848 (external link)
I like the first one. Good use of DOF. The last one seems a bit under exposed. Pictures like that would benefit from a more dramatic sky or shot at a different time of day.

I have a problem with underexposing many my shots. The last shot is actually 2 shots layered + other techniques that I literally just learned yesterday. I can post the original one I had before if you would like.

corkneyfonz wrote in post #10952518 (external link)
The middle two stand out for me.

Thanks. Theres something wrong with the butterfly imo. I feel like his body is out of focus or something.

FYI I have been shooting for about a year now :cry:

HDR IS THE DEVIL

Devinwk
46 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 21, 2010 21:41 |  #6

Your photos are very nice indeed. Here is a suggestion for the last image...

There is no light on the building because it is backlit. What is interesting about this photo to you personally? The sky is OK and there is no light on the building. Here is an idea.

Make 2 layers in photoshop of the image. Top layer use the curves tool to add contrast and depth to the sky. Then bump up the saturation. Back layer use curves tool to brighten the building and deepen contrast. Then use the mask tool on the top layer and reveal the brightened building under the deepened sky. This technique can give photos taken under less than optimal lighting some more "punch." Here is a quick example....Devin

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Free, entertaining, photography videos
http://www.ready-set-snap.com (external link)

The ­ Framed ­ Life
Goldmember
1,054 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 21, 2010 21:58 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

the butterfly pic looks a bit noisy to me, but maybe it's just me.

The Framed Life (external link)
Canon 30D
70-200mm F/4L, 24-70 f/2.8L

►►► 30D For Sale ◄◄◄
James Robertson

oweng
106 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Sep 22, 2010 00:16 |  #8

1. Dof too shallow, did you try an overhead shot looking down as my eye wanders to the back of the frame. The texture and colour of the nails is very nice.

2. the background flowers are too distracting and take your eye off the main subject. I think for shots like this the main flower needs to be isolated.

3. nicely composed shot but the butterfly needs additional lighting to bring out its colours and texture, would liked to have seen that with a little fill flash.

4. for starters it doesnt look level as the roof appears to be sloping left to right, its underexposed and the main subject is a little uninteresting. I would wait and take it again when the sun is behind you.

Hope this helps.

http://500px.com/oweng (external link)

sin
THREAD ­ STARTER
122 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 22, 2010 22:40 |  #9

Devinwk wrote in post #10953168 (external link)
Your photos are very nice indeed. Here is a suggestion for the last image...

There is no light on the building because it is backlit. What is interesting about this photo to you personally? The sky is OK and there is no light on the building. Here is an idea.

The sky looked amazing and those two airplanes caught my eye. I redid the version...again. Next time I will just get TWO images, 1 for sky and 1 for the building because when I bumped up the brightness on the building, grainy-galore.

SnapShot Photos wrote in post #10953253 (external link)
the butterfly pic looks a bit noisy to me, but maybe it's just me.

Its not you. I shot it at 2.5 as the exif showed. he was probably moving around on the flower, so I should have done iso 400/800ish instead of 100.

oweng wrote in post #10953970 (external link)
1. Dof too shallow, did you try an overhead shot looking down as my eye wanders to the back of the frame. The texture and colour of the nails is very nice.

I agree. I wish I got all of the main pile in focus. It was just a quick walk through so I didnt set it up or anything.

2. the background flowers are too distracting and take your eye off the main subject. I think for shots like this the main flower needs to be isolated.

Really? I feel that the background gives the picture MORE if anything and not take away.

3. nicely composed shot but the butterfly needs additional lighting to bring out its colours and texture, would liked to have seen that with a little fill flash.

I probably could saturate it more. I have no idea how to use fill flash, so that wasnt an option

4. for starters it doesnt look level as the roof appears to be sloping left to right, its underexposed and the main subject is a little uninteresting. I would wait and take it again when the sun is behind you.

Hope this helps.

I tried to rotate it so that it was level :oops:
And I realize that it is also underexposed, but I was more focused on how I was able to layer and gradient it. It looks alot better than the original version.
and Sunrise would have been 6am. Too early! :)

Overall, awesome critiques. Keep em coming and thanks alot!

HDR IS THE DEVIL

terbear
360 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 22, 2010 23:46 |  #10

I like the second picture a lot, and I agree with what you said, i like how there are those flowers in the back, it adds more color to the picture.
for your third photo, i always like adding a little of contrast and taking away a little brightness (usually +10 or +20 and -10 or -20 --> they should neutralize to 0)

Flickr (external link)
Canon Rebel T1i with Opteka Battery Grip |[18-55mm]|[28-135mm]|[70-300mm]|

BigAlz1
Goldmember
1,475 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 23, 2010 01:35 |  #11

First two are your strongest.
Lose the last one, it's tilted, underexposed and with a poor crop.

Keep up the good work.

Eos 7D, 40D w/70-200L 2.8 IS, 50mm 1.4, Nifty Fifty II, 100MM 2.8 Macro, 18-135mm IS , Sigma 30mm 1.4 , Sigma 18-35 1.8 ART 580ex II

sin
THREAD ­ STARTER
122 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 03, 2010 01:00 |  #12

Thanks for the CC so far.

Any thoughts on:

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4088/5049876199_520637d1ec_b.jpg

HDR IS THE DEVIL

dynamic03
341 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 03, 2010 08:28 |  #13

The nails pic is great and the one with the building, great editing by Devinwk, really brings out the building.

Canon 5D Mark II | 135mm L | 24-70mm L | 100mm f/2.8 macro | 50mm f/1.8
Wedding Photography (external link)
Photo Blog (external link)

sponsored links

2,165 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help Critique Me
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.