Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Sep 2010 (Thursday) 16:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5d markII BG-E6 grip (knock off version) no longer works after the firmware update?

johnny_boy
75 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 23, 2010 16:39 |  #1

I’ve had the firmware 2.04 on mine when I got the Chinese knock-off grip on my EOS 5D II. I’ve found a software bug on 2.04 (Auto ISO under LiveView does not behave correctly under certain conditions), so I’ve updated to 2.07. It fixed that problem, but now I have another.

The grip won’t recognize my batteries any more. It says it can’t communicate. If I use 5D without the grip, either of the Canon batteries communicate fine.

I thought maybe having the grip in place while flashing caused the issue, so I re-flashed it without the grip in place, and I think it is worse. Now, it says it can’t communicate. With the first flash with the grip in place, it just said 100% on both batteries, even when I only had 1 battery in it.

Anyone else have the same issue? If no easy solution, then I am either going back to 2.04 (where can I download older firmware?) or buying the genuine one. I only lost $53 on this deal I guess.

lannes
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 23, 2010 19:27 |  #2

sometimes communication problems are caused by having the grip on too tight, my 3rd party grip used to lock the camera up when it was screwed on too tightly.

So are you saying the grip still functions, but the batteries can no longer be recognized/ registered by the camera when they are in the grip. ? Are the batteries genuine Canon or the new third party chipped versions ?

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

professorman
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 28, 2010 07:54 |  #3

johnny_boy wrote in post #10965652 (external link)
If no easy solution, then I am either going back to 2.04 (where can I download older firmware?)

Here is a page with it
5D Mark II Firmware 2.0.4 Available (external link)

If you look at the bottom, you will see the link to download.
http://www.canonrumors​.com …/5dfirmware/eos​5d2204.exe (external link)

Let me know if the old firmware works or not. Do not do the firmware update with the battery grip on, since it may have communication issues.

MyGear | Feedback | facebook (external link)|My Site (external link)|Flickr (external link)

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 28, 2010 11:48 |  #4

I have no issues with the latest firmware on a 5DII and third party grip. It's not the firmware update, imo, that is causing your problem.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

johnny_boy
THREAD ­ STARTER
75 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 29, 2010 14:56 |  #5

My batteries are genuine Canon batteries. It might not be the firmware itself, but maybe the updating process with the grip attached?

BTW, it looks like which battery goes into which compartment seems to affect how my camera behaves. Maybe the grip itself is not working as expected...

I will try to downgrade the firmware to 2.0.4 without the grip, attach the grip and see how it behaves. Then, update to 2.0.7. without the grip, attach the grip and see what happens.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,790 views & 0 likes for this thread
5d markII BG-E6 grip (knock off version) no longer works after the firmware update?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.