Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Sep 2010 (Thursday) 20:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 60D Users, Unite!

this thread is locked
Vixen89
Goldmember
4,521 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 22, 2011 13:12 |  #7366

CanonEOS wrote in post #12272571 (external link)
Thanks for the info on the bag I wanted to have a safe camera bag from thefts getting in, can you put the tripod on the side of the bag I have seen two straps on top on both side of the bag? and where can you put the laptop?

Thats what I also wanted to know is it comfortable to use, because some bags are not and I don't want to buy a camera that Screams theft come and get me. I also think a tripod bag is good but you have to carry both.

Is it also easy to add the weather sheet on the bag and can you still open you bag with it on?

The bag is really comfortable to me, and the straps are very relaxing on the shoulder even with all the stuff I cram into the bag with the camera. I bought it because of the safety protection of someone trying to steal my camera gear **had it happen and won't let it happen again** I do find carrying my tripod bag around a hassle but most times I don't need it so it's 50/50 for me, but I know someone else may have an issue. I also use the tripod bag because I don't want to have to set down my bag and scratch my manfrotto. When I get home I will try out the AW sheet and see if I can still open my bag, I never used the AW sheet before *lives in Texas* LOL

EDIT: The daily things I carry, 1 extra SDHC card, 3 lenses, camera body with a lens mounted, 3 flashes with diffusers on each, and my wireless trigger and receivers. On the side I have water bottles/powerade and my cell phone, wallet, keys, and a LED light for video recording...xD

I'm actively lazy!! :D | Gear List | photovxn.com (under construction)external link

sponsored links
3DZukini
Goldmember
1,297 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 22, 2011 13:43 |  #7367

I carry quite a bit around in the Kata 3-in-1 33, probably more than I need :) Gripped 60D with 70-200 2.8 goes in the quick-access area and it's kind of nice because you can just swing it around, pull camera out and rest your elbows on the side of the bag. I also have one 430 EXII, 18-135, 50 1.8, 28-75, 11-16, a few filters, Phong collapsible lightsphere, cyber commander and one battery powered receiver for the 430, iPad, memory cards, extra batteries, a couple magazines... etc.. lol, like I said, probably too much. Oh, and I usually leave one strap tucked in and I slide a monopod in on that side too. It's a great bag, but getting kind of heavy with all that stuff... doesn't feel heavy if I use it like a backpack though.

Call me Erich. :) 6D, 60D | 18-135 IS | 50 ƒ1.8 | 28-75 ƒ2.8 | 24-105 ƒ4L | 70-200 ƒ2.8L II | 11-16 ƒ2.8
Flickr (external link) ~ 500px (external link) ~ Taproll (external link) ~ effectivimage
 (external link)

allisonm
47 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 22, 2011 16:53 |  #7368

OK, aside from my massive and always growing list of "wants" (I actually created a wishlist on BH to keep track of stuff)... I did get the ok from hubby to pick up the EF 50mm f/1.8 II lens ($125). Then I'm looking around still and see the 50mm 1.4 USM, which is about $450. I see just from the specs that it has some better optics, but what else makes it that much more money, and overall is it worth it? I'd like to at some point get a lens like the 17-40 L or 24-105 L, but those are likely a WAYS off.

Currently running only my kit lens of 18-200mm, which I haven't been stoked on for landscapes at all (might be user error).

I find I'm taking most of my shots indoor so fairly low light, and currently love doing indoors and playing around with lighting.

Also, digging bokeh a LOT, hence the 50mm.

TIA for any advice. Yes I have been doing some research also since I don't want to get a lens and immediately wish I had saved up or gotten something else ;)

While I suspect I'd be happy with the 1.8, if it's that much more worth it for the 1.4 then maybe I can work on my patience :)

Canon 60D / Canon EF-S 18-200mm / Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
Allison Mann (external link)

3DZukini
Goldmember
1,297 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 22, 2011 17:02 |  #7369

Hi Allisonm, I can't say much about the 1.4 since I only have experience with the 1.8. But, if you shop around a bit you can probably find it for $90-$95 new and then re-sell it a little later for not much less if you decide to upgrade, so it's like renting it really cheap for as long as you like! :) I'd say picking that one up sooner the better, it's just so much fun to shoot with, especially portraits and even playing around with Macro a little. Super bang for the buck as I'm sure most on here will agree. :)

P.S. I'll have to warn you though, it's an addiction... once you start playing with faster glass and smooth bokeh, you can't go back :p

Call me Erich. :) 6D, 60D | 18-135 IS | 50 ƒ1.8 | 28-75 ƒ2.8 | 24-105 ƒ4L | 70-200 ƒ2.8L II | 11-16 ƒ2.8
Flickr (external link) ~ 500px (external link) ~ Taproll (external link) ~ effectivimage
 (external link)

m_ove
149 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Apr 22, 2011 17:05 |  #7370

When I remove the lens I see small white scratches, however these don't show up on the images...should I be worried?

Canon EOS 60D Gripped |Canon 430EX ii | Canon 70-200 f4 IS USM | Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | Canon EF 50mm 1.8 mk1 | Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS | Canon EOS M | Canon EF-M 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 STM |Macbook Pro Mid 2009 2.8 Ghz |

ranger50
Goldmember
1,212 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 22, 2011 17:09 |  #7371

allisonm wrote in post #12274192 (external link)
OK, aside from my massive and always growing list of "wants" (I actually created a wishlist on BH to keep track of stuff)... I did get the ok from hubby to pick up the EF 50mm f/1.8 II lens ($125). Then I'm looking around still and see the 50mm 1.4 USM, which is about $450. I see just from the specs that it has some better optics, but what else makes it that much more money, and overall is it worth it? I'd like to at some point get a lens like the 17-40 L or 24-105 L, but those are likely a WAYS off.

Currently running only my kit lens of 18-200mm, which I haven't been stoked on for landscapes at all (might be user error).

I find I'm taking most of my shots indoor so fairly low light, and currently love doing indoors and playing around with lighting.

TIA for any advice. Yes I have been doing some research also since I don't want to get a lens and immediately wish I had saved up or gotten something else ;)

While I suspect I'd be happy with the 1.8, if it's that much more worth it for the 1.4 then maybe I can work on my patience :)

You should get the sigma 30mm 1.4 it's the best bet.;):D

EOS 60D/ 70-200L/ Sunpak PF30X/ Sunpak 6600PG platinum Plus ball head Tripod 59.95 / Pelican S.S. Large Military Camera case
It's better to have it and not need it, Than to need it, and not have it.;)

Dr.D
Goldmember
1,236 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 22, 2011 17:13 |  #7372

I think you'll be happy with the 1.8 for now. I just picked one up and I'm still getting use to it. I've seen them for sell here locally and people usually get rid of them for around $100. So, you only lose out on about $25 for a great practice lens if you decide to upgrade. Going by your post count you're still in a learning process? I think I catch on faster than most and I'm still happy experimenting with it and not ready to put that kind of money into something I'm not really sure if I'll use much. I'm liking the blur too, but not sure if I'd spend that much money when I could put more towards a good L series. Still trying to decide what I like more.:) I just tried a 70-200L and loved sharpness of it and even though I have something that will give me more range I'm still ready for the 200. Just find out what you'll be shooting most of then make a decision. Hope that helps!

6D . Gripped 60D . Gripped XSI . Opteka 6.5 . Canon 10-22 . Canon 18-135 . Canon 50 1.8 MKII . Canon 24-105 f4 L . Canon 70-200 2.8 IS MKII L . Canon 70-300 IS USM . Sigma 150-600 . Canon 100mm Macro . Canon 2X III . 430 EXII . Manfroto 190XPROB . Manfrotto 055XPROB . Black Rapid Sport . Outback 200
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1195651

Dr.D
Goldmember
1,236 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 22, 2011 17:22 |  #7373

I've already posted this in this thread, but going to post again just in case no one saw it and can help.
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1031306

6D . Gripped 60D . Gripped XSI . Opteka 6.5 . Canon 10-22 . Canon 18-135 . Canon 50 1.8 MKII . Canon 24-105 f4 L . Canon 70-200 2.8 IS MKII L . Canon 70-300 IS USM . Sigma 150-600 . Canon 100mm Macro . Canon 2X III . 430 EXII . Manfroto 190XPROB . Manfrotto 055XPROB . Black Rapid Sport . Outback 200
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1195651

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
17,067 posts
Gallery: 441 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 22, 2011 17:25 |  #7374

Vixen89 wrote in post #12272034 (external link)
Yeah I know, only once in awhile will I even bother with vignette to be honest. I trained my mind to not think to even bother vignetting unless the lens hood caused it. T_T

...what to do about the sunspot. D<

QUOTED IMAGE

Humvee!! LOL

Did you try a lens hood? It might help.

| VINZ - SONY A7RIII/A6000/FDR-X3000 | 85GM | FE1635GM | FE50F1.8 | SEL30mm F3.5 Macro |
INSTAGRAM (external link)- WEBSITE (external link) - FACEBOOK (external link) - 500PX (external link)

allisonm
47 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 22, 2011 17:58 |  #7375

Dr.D wrote in post #12274263 (external link)
I think you'll be happy with the 1.8 for now. I just picked one up and I'm still getting use to it. I've seen them for sell here locally and people usually get rid of them for around $100. So, you only lose out on about $25 for a great practice lens if you decide to upgrade. Going by your post count you're still in a learning process? I think I catch on faster than most and I'm still happy experimenting with it and not ready to put that kind of money into something I'm not really sure if I'll use much. I'm liking the blur too, but not sure if I'd spend that much money when I could put more towards a good L series. Still trying to decide what I like more.:) I just tried a 70-200L and loved sharpness of it and even though I have something that will give me more range I'm still ready for the 200. Just find out what you'll be shooting most of then make a decision. Hope that helps!

Thanks for the info! Definitely very much still learning, and being so new is why I'm hesitant to spend more on the 1.4 lens. I definitely at some point want a nice L series lens to fill in the gap of my 18-200 (which is heavy!) and have something a little more WA and less telephoto.

karlpilkington
175 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 22, 2011 18:14 |  #7376

the 50 f1.4 has a better build and faster/quieter autofocus. and the ability to gather a little more light at f1.4. worth it in my opinion. however, just fyi, "normal" prices for new f1.8 is $100 and f1.4 around $350. theres just been recent price hikes on lenses. cant say when or if prices will decrease anytime soon though. maybe you can find them used from people that don't want to rip people off just because the market value has increased.

with that said, id suggest taking a look at the sigma 30mm 1.4. i, like many i suspect, as a newbie to photography went through the process of buying the 50mm 1.8, loving the pictures it produced, and wanted an upgrade for the long haul. looked at the 50mm 1.4, but decided the focal length is just a bit too long at times. 30mm on a crop camera captures closer to what you see with your eyes. also, the bokeh on the sigma is much more pleasing than either of the canon lenses imo. i purchased mine for $390 during a promotion but they were $430 just a couple months ago.

im still a newbie to photography but after joining this forum i cant tell you how many posts ive read about people that bought their first dslr over the last 8 months going through almost the exact same process.

i took a look at your site and some of your pictures, your husband (im guessing) sitting on the couch smiling in a neck brace playing xbox had me laughing.

X100F | GH5 | 6DII | 17-40L | 24-70L | 50L | 85 | 100 | 135L | 70-200L

allisonm
47 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 22, 2011 18:38 |  #7377

karlpilkington wrote in post #12274519 (external link)
im still a newbie to photography but after joining this forum i cant tell you how many posts ive read about people that bought their first dslr over the last 8 months going through almost the exact same process.

i took a look at your site and some of your pictures, your husband (im guessing) sitting on the couch smiling in a neck brace playing xbox had me laughing.

Yeah I've seen a few of the 1.8's for $100-$110 shipped, but at that price, for $15 more I can get NIB, so likely would go that route.

If the Sigma is that much more then I might put that as a possible future purchase as well. I think for closer shots and just something different the 1.8 might be the ticket, plus it seems to hold its value!

That was him last year, sadly. Really bad road bike accident the Friday before Easter (like today, only 2 weeks earlier in the year). I'm injured this year (not quite so dramatic!) so instead of paying for plane tickets and parts for bike racing and going to World Championships like last year I've got the DSLR bug :D The vast majority of pics my site are from my Droid phone or my SD950 IS!! Except for recently.

I got my camera just about a month ago and am up to about 3700 pics. Loving it!!!

ranger50
Goldmember
1,212 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 22, 2011 19:22 as a reply to  @ allisonm's post |  #7378

Here is a cool shot by Macroshooter1970:cool:. He says that even though he can't be here, he wants to contribute. He wants to liven up the thread so it dosent stay too boring.;):D:lol:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

EOS 60D/ 70-200L/ Sunpak PF30X/ Sunpak 6600PG platinum Plus ball head Tripod 59.95 / Pelican S.S. Large Military Camera case

jay125
on the happy gas
10,745 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 22, 2011 19:36 |  #7379

ok that one is NOT creepy. good job macro!!!! (and Ranger, for posting it)

btw...when is macro's "time-out" up?

feedback

gear list

ranger50
Goldmember
1,212 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 22, 2011 19:45 |  #7380

jay125 wrote in post #12274909 (external link)
ok that one is NOT creepy. good job macro!!!! (and Ranger, for posting it)

btw...when is macro's "time-out" up?

Mike says Thanks!:D I think he's back on the 27th. I know it will be good to have him back. He likes to bring some laughs to our little 60D thread.;)

sponsored links

1,679,281 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 60D Users, Unite!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.