Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Sep 2010 (Thursday) 20:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 60D Users, Unite!

this thread is locked
macroshooter1970
Cream of the Crop
7,494 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 21, 2011 13:13 |  #11266

Foreboding wrote in post #12799224 (external link)
Experimenting with different processing techniques, learning alot!!
Would welcome C&C from the experienced portrait folks.

This is my 8 year old daughter.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

fLiCkr (external link)

Crop out the bush on her right side. The other plant life on her left shoulder, neck area not looking good. The fence and gutter is so distracting. Maybe have her pick up her head more, looks uncomfortable.

I'm not a gardener, so I don't know what all that green stuff is called unless it's money :lol:

sponsored links
CptTripps
567 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 21, 2011 13:13 |  #11267

p_mba wrote in post #12799194 (external link)
Hi,

I started browsing this forum last week after deciding to buy the Canon 60D as my first dSLR camera. I've used 35 mm in the past but over the last many years have only used point and shoot. With a new addition to the family, I found an excuse to jump into this expensive hobby.

Anyway, I have some questions as a newbie. My 60D (body only) arrived 2 days ago and I had ordered the Canon 50mm f1.8 a bit earlier.

-I am finding that when indoors, many times the shutter does not take pictures when the shutter button is depressed. Depending on the mode, I would see the readout of ISO, shuter speed, aperture but it won't let me take the picture. Other times with the same mode, it snaps the picture. I do notice that there is a flashing green light presumably when the shot is not ready to be taken (I know - I need to read the manual instead of reading online first but as I started reading online before the manual came, thought I'd pose the question).

-Another issue I have is that the autofocus on the lens at times do not seem to focus. Not sure if I am using it wrong or if I have a defective lens and/or camera body. MF works great but I need AF to be able to catch my toddler running around.

For both of these issues, I am not sure if they are related to shooting indoors in relatively lower light conditions. Have yet to have a chance to test outdoors (hopefully this weekend). I have the cheap 55-250mm IS lens coming in today and will try to see if that lens makes any difference. Planning on springing for the 17-55mm f2.8 but wanted to see how things went with the 50 mm f1.8 first.

I'm sure someone will let me know if I've posted in the wrong thread but thanks in advance for any insight/suggestions.

On not shooting (flashing light) - The 50 1.8 can do some hunting in darker areas (be aware of minimum focus distance as well). When I shoot in AV mode in low light I pop the flash, goto my menu->flash settings and disable it. It will provide a focus assist flash and nothing more.

on the focus thing, I would select the center focal point for sure instead of letting it pick what it wants. It could simply be picking a part of the image with more contrast than what you are trying to shoot.

60D - Sigma 30mm 1.4 - 50mm 1.8 ImkII - 18-135 IS - 70-200 2.8 mkII - 2x430ex II - 3xFlextt5+AC3 - Einstein 640 w/mc2 - Vagabond Mini

p_mba
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 21, 2011 13:30 |  #11268

Foreboding wrote in post #12799238 (external link)
Congrats on the 60D!

Cannot speak to the not shooting portion of your question, but here is a tip that you may not know if new to dslr. Use the center portion of your AF, focus the camera and then keep the button partially depressed and you will retain that focus. Simple thing, but wow it helps. Before I learned this I was focusing, turning off the autofocus then shooting...lol...such a newb way to do it!

btw: I love that little $100 50mm lens.

===
Thanks. I am impressed with the quick responses from this community and glad to see so many active 60D users.

I'll try out the center AF tip (used a similar method for forcing focal points in point and shoots).

p_mba
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 21, 2011 13:33 |  #11269

shankarhokie wrote in post #12799244 (external link)
Both issues are probably available light related. I have situations indoor when the focus does not lock in. Unless the focus locks in, and you see the green AF lock light on the bottom right, the camera will not click. If you are in full AUTO mode, one of the 9 points will be in focus at some random point, and the camera will click. If you have chosen the center AF point only, then, unless there is some light/contrast for that point to pick & focus on, the camera will hunt.

See Page 80 of the users manual

I was afraid this is the answer I will get but the good news is that most likely my equipment is not defective. Kind of defeats my primary purpose of using a dSLR and a relatively fast lens to capture indoor photos without flash.

Thanks for the feedback.

p_mba
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 21, 2011 13:41 |  #11270

CptTripps wrote in post #12799386 (external link)
On not shooting (flashing light) - The 50 1.8 can do some hunting in darker areas (be aware of minimum focus distance as well). When I shoot in AV mode in low light I pop the flash, goto my menu->flash settings and disable it. It will provide a focus assist flash and nothing more.

on the focus thing, I would select the center focal point for sure instead of letting it pick what it wants. It could simply be picking a part of the image with more contrast than what you are trying to shoot.

I'll definitely give this a shot. I had disabled flash and was wondering why the flash still popped up and lighted in full auto mode. Guess it makes sense that it also functions as a focus assist light. One of my reasons for using a faster lens is to avoid flashes altogether to avoid flashing my toddler's eyes so much taking many shots in a roll.

Wondering if there is a way to get the focusing and shutter release without having to use the flash at all. During the day, the room I take most photos at is not all that dark and I still get both the shutter and the focusing issue. I'll definitely make time to read the manual a bit at a time. Just so much more fun to play with the camera instead!

Thanks for the feedback.

CptTripps
567 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 21, 2011 14:23 |  #11271

Hmmm, there may be an issue with your setup. Even in daylight in my living room the available light is not much but I don't have "many" problems. Another thing I do with my hotshoe flash (430ex II) is similar but instead of a pre-flash it projects the af assist beam (red lines that cover focal points), this is far less distracting but also requires an semi-expensive flash unit.

In full auto mode I am unsure if you can truly disable the flash (never tried). Since you are an old 35mm user I would dive back into using AV, TV, manual etc... Auto is nice at times but having a good grasp of the other settings helps when you need to use them.

60D - Sigma 30mm 1.4 - 50mm 1.8 ImkII - 18-135 IS - 70-200 2.8 mkII - 2x430ex II - 3xFlextt5+AC3 - Einstein 640 w/mc2 - Vagabond Mini

DCarter
26 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 21, 2011 14:53 |  #11272

Wow, she doesn't look 80.

CptTripps
567 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 21, 2011 15:14 |  #11273

DCarter wrote in post #12799928 (external link)

She has aged well, must be the diet ;)

bongEstrella
602 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 21, 2011 15:24 |  #11274

DCarter wrote in post #12799928 (external link)

lol that's a good one! :lol:

My Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 60d, 15-85
Feedback

Bheims
387 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 21, 2011 15:27 |  #11275

Any examples in here of the mock tilt shift the 60D has?

Im going to see what I can come up with here

Gear: 5DMkII, 60D, 20D, 24-105L, 17-85, Rokinon 8mm, 50 1.8, Some lights n stuff
Flickr (external link)

mondayshift
Goldmember
2,300 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 21, 2011 15:36 |  #11276

Bheims wrote in post #12800150 (external link)
Any examples in here of the mock tilt shift the 60D has?

Im going to see what I can come up with here

yeah man, post some samples.

“Sucking at something is the first step towards being sorta good at something.”
- Jake the Dog -
flickr (external link)

Puttzo
63 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 21, 2011 15:51 |  #11277

THAT is one awesome shot WOW!! How was it done holding the shutter down or time exposure ... FRIGING Awesome!!!!

Gear:7D,5Dc,5DII,400 5.6L,300 4.0L IS,135 2.0L,100 macroL,85 1.8,17-40L,Nifty Fifty,1.4 tc II,580EX II,430IIEX
http://alonso54.zenfol​io.com/ (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/alonso54 (external link)

macroshooter1970
Cream of the Crop
7,494 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 21, 2011 17:22 |  #11278

mondayshift wrote in post #12800212 (external link)
yeah man, post some samples.

Any word when 60 returns from vacation

mondayshift
Goldmember
2,300 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 21, 2011 17:58 |  #11279

macroshooter1970 wrote in post #12800793 (external link)
Any word when 60 returns from vacation

repair finished, fed-ex 2nd day. but they have not given me a tracking number. so maybe sometime next week.

“Sucking at something is the first step towards being sorta good at something.”
- Jake the Dog -
flickr (external link)

macroshooter1970
Cream of the Crop
7,494 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 21, 2011 18:07 |  #11280

Can't wait to post these strong vignette pictures with watermarks all over the picture, right in the middle.

sponsored links

1,680,325 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 60D Users, Unite!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.