Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 24 Sep 2010 (Friday) 02:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Things you said that made you look stupid

Gel
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 24, 2010 02:57 |  #1

Whilst working on some images from my 1DS3 and admiring the skin tones I recall months ago looking at some images a client had taken (also on a 1DS3) and saying that my camera (5D2) was better than that.

I consider this my biggest 'Shows how little you know' moment.

Anyone else?

Chris Giles Photography

sponsored links
Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 24, 2010 02:59 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

<----..rarely

i was arguing once with a friend (who at the time I just met and kinda felt threatened by, we were sitting at a table of clients and he has about 10 + years of advertising photo experience and was a director of some kind in the city) about how to say giclee, and corrected him and said it was pronounced zhee clay.

we laugh now... at least i do :D

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

Alexei ­ TND
776 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 24, 2010 03:03 |  #3

Whilst trying to show a friend how to change aperture:

Him: So.....how?
Me: Turn the main dial
Him: Wha?
Me: The big ring on the back of the camera.
Him: Wont work
Me: Ahh youre doing it wrong, gimme...

(Took me 3 mins to realize the ring was locked and hence didnt change the apetrure.)

|My Flickr (external link)| EOS 5D, EOS 7D
Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, 24-70L, 400 5.6L
Sigma 50 1.4, 12-24, 20 1.8
SpaceArt (external link)

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 24, 2010 03:10 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

Off topic, ^ you do really crazy space scapes. Mega respect :)

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

Gel
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 24, 2010 04:12 |  #5

Alexei TND wrote in post #10968646 (external link)
Whilst trying to show a friend how to change aperture:

Him: So.....how?
Me: Turn the main dial
Him: Wha?
Me: The big ring on the back of the camera.
Him: Wont work
Me: Ahh youre doing it wrong, gimme...

(Took me 3 mins to realize the ring was locked and hence didnt change the apetrure.)

Doesn't everything behave a bit weird your way due to the CERN particle accelerator being so close?

Chris Giles Photography

Alexei ­ TND
776 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 24, 2010 04:16 |  #6

Gel wrote in post #10968764 (external link)
Doesn't everything behave a bit weird your way due to the CERN particle accelerator being so close?

meh, Gravity and the fabric of space-time are overrated :P

Btw thanks Karl, havent made any new space pics in a while but theres a big one ive been working on for over a year coming up soon.
Was hoping to implement some aurora effects but my New-year trip to Finnland was Northern-Lights empty, so i have to improvise.

|My Flickr (external link)| EOS 5D, EOS 7D
Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, 24-70L, 400 5.6L
Sigma 50 1.4, 12-24, 20 1.8
SpaceArt (external link)

MrWho
Goldmember
1,201 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 25, 2010 04:02 |  #7

Swearing up and down I'd never shoot a certain brand for a couple of years and spoke about cameras of a certain other brand with their users. Well, here I am so just exactly what happened and who the companies are is pretty self explanatory :lol:

I guess I just have a bad habit of going and doing things I swore I'd never do.

Gear

DStanic
Cream of the Crop
6,148 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 26, 2010 07:41 |  #8

Anytime I discuss camera gear with the salespeople at Henrys. Some examples are 'there will be no 60D' (this was a year ago when the 7D was released), 'I think the D300 is better then the 7D', and so on. It's okay so say "in my opinion the D300 is better for such and such reasons, but the 7D is better for such and such uses, I prefer the Nikon" but that is not the case>

Sony A6000, 16-50PZ, 55-210, 35mm 1.8 OSS
Canon 60D, 30D
Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 17-35, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 85mm 1.8

Slimsphotos
846 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 26, 2010 08:52 as a reply to  @ DStanic's post |  #9

So many examples I could write a book, but will wait until I've got them all out of my system first, still going strong :-)

nice to see you again Alexei, where you been hiding.

Chris

Aviation Law - If your wings are travelling faster than your fuselage, it better be a helicopter.
Slims Photos (external link)
Facebook Page (external link)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 26, 2010 13:57 |  #10

I've never ever said anything stupid.

bjyoder
Goldmember
1,664 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 26, 2010 14:15 |  #11

About three years ago when I had just started working at a camera store, I was working with a guy that was extremely pro-Canon. I had just made up my mind to get a D-SLR, and bought Canon. I then proceeded to drink his kool-aid, and started talking to customers about the virtues of Canon, and how Nikon was really struggling to keep up. While I never said the words to a customer (like the guy did), I did imply often that Nikon probably wouldn't be around in another 5 years.

Touche, Nikon. Touche. ;)

:lol:

Ben

500px (external link) | Website (external link) | Gear

birdfromboat
Goldmember
1,839 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 26, 2010 22:38 |  #12

for a long time I referred to the top side of digital printer paper as the emulsion side. I guess I really don't know a way to describe it other than maybe the textured side, or the front side, or the top. I will probably continue to call it the emulsion side, and anyone that got into photography after digital was the norm will think I am stupid.

5D, 10D, G10, the required 100 macro, 24-70, 70-200 f/2.8, 300 f2.8)
Looking through a glass un-yun

Mark ­ II
Goldmember
2,153 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 27, 2010 18:40 as a reply to  @ birdfromboat's post |  #13

I do.

1DX7D - 40D IR converted Sony RX100,
Canon 85 L II, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, EF 24-105L, 16-35mm f/2.8 II L, 100L & 60mm Macro , Fisheye EF 15mm f2.8, Tokina 10-17

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
19,066 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 27, 2010 18:49 |  #14

Answering another thread on here about the virtues of the 7D and stating that it has dual image *sensors*...thankfully the POTN sarcasm crew were on hand to point that one out :)

Karl Johnston wrote in post #10968637 (external link)
<----..rarely

i was arguing once with a friend (who at the time I just met and kinda felt threatened by, we were sitting at a table of clients and he has about 10 + years of advertising photo experience and was a director of some kind in the city) about how to say giclee, and corrected him and said it was pronounced zhee clay.

we laugh now... at least i do :D

As a side note, how the he'll DO you pronounce that?

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 27, 2010 22:15 |  #15

Just the other day there was a purse sitting on the chair next to me, and I didn't know who owned it. My friend came in the room (this was at church in a Sunday school classroom) and I decided to be a smartass by asking, "hey, is this your purse?"

Turns out it WAS his "purse" and I felt like a heel. I tried apologizing, and he was good humored about it, but it was still awkward. It was some kind of man bag.

Thank you. bw!

sponsored links

3,460 views & 0 likes for this thread
Things you said that made you look stupid
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.