Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 27 Sep 2010 (Monday) 03:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Standard color rendition for 135L ?

cherrymoon
533 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 27, 2010 03:51 |  #1

Last week-end, we have the occasion to shoot polo with friends. Compared to others, my color rendition is absolutely amazing, quite saturated for the grass for instance. I applied no PP other than cropping.
My main lens used for this was 135L, helped with 35L and 85L sometimes. I noticed this color rendition with wide aperture lenses, not with the zooms.
I found*that L primes, wide open, tend to under expose, causing this color rendition.

Any advice ? Here is the link : http://picasaweb.googl​e.com …b1sZibrQE&feat=​directlink (external link)

5D² 40 pancake | 50/1.4 | 85L II | 135L | 16-35L IS | 24-105L | 70-200 f2.8 L IS II and a TT bike
Complete Gear List

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 27, 2010 04:39 |  #2

Every marque and every lens produces its own distinct rendition, depending on how well or badly the design is "optimised". There is no such thing as the perfect lens and probably never will be. On the other hand there will be numerous candidates for the worst.

You are comparing using RAW files and displaying with all adjustments at neutral I assume? It's very easy to forget the in-camera jpeg processing, or how the presets that white balance (shady, sun, cloud etc) and shooting modes like landscape or portrait affect colour rendition.

But this reminds me of the Nikon versus Canon questions we see here regularly. Anything out of camera is adjustable so should be considered as a starting point rather than a finished product. Image manipulation is as old as photography itself and all the digital tricks we use these days were invented back in the days of film.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

Jannie
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 27, 2010 10:23 |  #3

I always describe RAW as what you take out of the grocery bag as you prepare a meal.'In that bag are all the right ingredients which you by design have chosen, now it's time to cook it together to finish the meal.

Ms.Jannie
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it"!
1DMKIII, 85LII, 24-70L, 100-400L

NinetyEight
"Banned for life"
3,206 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 27, 2010 10:36 |  #4

The 135L seems to have a look all of it's own - Sharp, contrasty and well saturated colours. Combine this with lovely silky smooth bokeh and you have a winner!

Kev

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,029 views & 0 likes for this thread
Standard color rendition for 135L ?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.