Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 27 Sep 2010 (Monday) 11:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Amazon Experience (85L)

Route246
489 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 27, 2010 11:57 |  #1

I ordered an 85L-II last week on Friday from Amazon for next day (Saturday) delivery ($3.99 Prime Membership). My main reason was that shipping from Adorama and BH is usually via UPS which sucks in my area regarding delivery time and depot pickup due to the signature requirement. I've wasted too many hours chasing down packages with UPS. FedEx (not FedEx ground) can usually find a package and get it to me with just a phone call. UPS requires going to the depot, usually waiting in a horrendous line and then it is hit or miss whether or not they can find it. Did I mention that I do not like UPS?

To make a long story short, the 85L-II arrived on Saturday (overnight UPS) but when I opened the package it was obvious that I got a returned item based on the packing material and fingerprints. I did not pay this amount of money to receive a poorly repacked returned item.

After navigating the Amazon site for a few minutes I found the call-back screen. They make it extremely difficult to find, by the way. The human customer service is stunning, to say the least, and I think it may have to do with my order volume and buying patterns (I buy quite a bit for personal and business use from Amazon).

They apologized up and down, profusely and often about my order and already spiffed me a total of $75 in credits. But, the most annoying thing is that they couldn't process the reorder until Monday(today, waiting as I write this) because it requires a manager's approval. I guess they don't have any managers working on the weekends or something. Strange for a 7x24 operation but I guess its a large, political organization so I can live with that. I already shipped the bad lens back from Kinkos and it showed up in FedEx tracking so I'm pretty sure it will arrive at their returns depot without any problems. Oh, the other annoying thing is that because of the value they did not issue a prepaid tag. For some reason I had to pay return postage and insurance and they will refund that to me.

But, back to my motivation for using Amazon is that as a Prime member I can get $3.99 overnight Saturday delivery. I prefer to use BH or Adorama but the weekday delivery by UPS is just not worth the grief it causes due to nobody being home to sign for it during the week and the 12-hour delivery window on the "out-for-delivery" day that UPS has. Additionally, you can't reroute depot pickup until a delivery has a failed attempt which is another huge annoyance with UPS ground.

Anyway, I expect to receive a replacement by tomorrow and maybe Wednesday at the latest. The major annoyance now is that they can't give me tracking information yet until the manager approves it so its impossible to schedule time to wait for the delivery attempt without knowing when to wait.

I'm OK with this. I have an event on Saturday and I'm also leaving for Japan next Wednesday so I would like to have this lens for those two occasions if possible.

Gear List, Blog, (external link) Gallery (external link)

sponsored links
ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,891 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 27, 2010 12:07 |  #2

My experience with Amazon has been nothing but the most impressive I have ever had with ANY company! In the last four years that I have been shopping with them I have literally spent tens of thousands of dollars through them on literally ANYTHING I can find to buy through them and they have done everything under the sun to make sure I have happy on the rare occasions an issue arose. Just thought Id add my 2 cents.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

plasticmotif
Goldmember
3,174 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 27, 2010 12:35 |  #3

Was anything wrong with the lens?

Mac P.
My Zenfolio (external link) My Photo Blog (external link) My Equipment
https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=14172975#po​st14172975

Dr.Pete
984 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 27, 2010 12:49 |  #4

Pretty easy to work around that--When I buy from B&H, Adorama, or any other shop that requires a signature for a big-ticket item, I have them ship to my office. Problem solved.

The advantage is that with B&H/Adorama I'm confident that I'll speak to a photographer if I have an issue related to the equipment, nor have I ever gotten a repackaged lens.

Tools of the dark side | MacBook Pro/LR3/Photoshop CS5
“Gear Is Good, Vision Is Better.” -- David duChemin

john ­ stakes
424 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 27, 2010 12:52 as a reply to  @ plasticmotif's post |  #5

Yeah that would def bug me. Seems like it worked out though, a few days without your lens and a free $75 for your trouble. I think this is a positive review of their service?

JS

Canon 50D, T2i, 70-200 2.8L, kit lenses
My real name is Curtis. John Stakes is my old DBA.
[URL]Blogger[URL="http://www.cnote​vp.blogspot.com"]

ben4633
767 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 27, 2010 12:53 as a reply to  @ plasticmotif's post |  #6

I agree with the above statements, Amazon is nothing short of impressive in service. It is only on the rarest of ocasions that I dont use them. Never had a problem with returns, ever. I would have used the lens for my event on saturday night and returned it on monday if there was something wrong with it. What was wrong with the lens, other than the packaging and the finger print?

Canon 7D - Canon 50D - Canon 28-135 IS - Canon 580 EXII - Canon 15-85 - Canon 10-22 - Canon 70-200 IS 4.0L - Canon 400L 5.6

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/aaronbphotos/ (external link)

kkSlider
177 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 27, 2010 13:19 |  #7

Amazon has world class customer service that reassures me I won't go wrong on any purchase I make.

Aeth
295 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 27, 2010 13:58 |  #8

While I hate talking to Amazon over the phone, their support has been impeccable!
I once was going to post a lens on here and I went to Amazon to get the exact date I bought it, and I found I could actually RETURN the lens rather than selling it here (sorry, POTN). I had the lens for almost 6 months! Sure Amazon took a small restock fee, but all-in-all, I lost only a little bit of money.
Extended rental I guess? :)

Seriously though, ordering camera stuff through Amazon has been pretty pleasant.

Sony RX100M2

Route246
THREAD ­ STARTER
489 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 27, 2010 14:03 |  #9

So far, yes, very positive. I wanted to put it out there just to share my experience. The important point is that this has not changed my attitude towards ordering from Amazon one bit. I am still a loyal customer and plan to remain so.

john stakes wrote in post #10987436 (external link)
Yeah that would def bug me. Seems like it worked out though, a few days without your lens and a free $75 for your trouble. I think this is a positive review of their service?

JS

Gear List, Blog, (external link) Gallery (external link)

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,319 posts
Gallery: 510 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 27, 2010 14:08 |  #10

ben_r_ wrote in post #10987209 (external link)
My experience with Amazon has been nothing but the most impressive I have ever had with ANY company! In the last four years that I have been shopping with them I have literally spent tens of thousands of dollars through them on literally ANYTHING I can find to buy through them and they have done everything under the sun to make sure I have happy on the rare occasions an issue arose. Just thought Id add my 2 cents.

I've felt mixed with them..I've received a lot of items from them with little to no packaging in the boxes, leaving the items to basically flop around inside the box

The iPod Nano I ordered for my mom arrived in what would be best described as a cardboard "envelope" that had no sealing at ALL on the bottom, which meant the package could have opened and the ipod could have fallen out of the package...it was their "eco green-friendly" packaging and it sucked, to say the least..

Yes, I've ordered from Amazon and not a 3rd party....

Service is good though...

And to be honest i've had this problem with a LOT of retailers as of late, they all seem to be skimping out on packaging whenever im ordering something, usually not packing things uniformally, or using inadequate packing...if the item is flopping around in the box it is NOT properly packed...

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

Dr.Pete
984 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 27, 2010 14:26 |  #11

I guess one advantage of using a mega-seller like Amazon is that their volume is so massive that the return of a $2K lens is something nobody will even flinch at.

Tools of the dark side | MacBook Pro/LR3/Photoshop CS5
“Gear Is Good, Vision Is Better.” -- David duChemin

Mundty
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 27, 2010 15:27 |  #12

I love Amazon, they are reliable, have free shipping, and there's almost nothing you can't find on their website.

Compared to dealing with B&H they were a dream come true. B&H took 4 days to ship me a lens they had in stock. They told me, the reason it took so long to ship was because I live so close to New York. Essentially the closer you live the longer they will wait to ship your order. So if you order a lens to be sent to PA UPS Ground, and someone in CA orders a lens to be shipped UPS Ground. They will go out of their way to fulfill all the CA orders before they even think about processing PA orders.

After hearing that, it was the last first and last time I bought from them. I shop at Adorama, Amazon, and my local camera shop.

www.mikemundt.com (external link)
EOS 5D Mark II | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L | Speedlite 430EX II | Manfrotto MT293A4 & 494 Tripod
Interests: Environmental Portraits | Urban/Travel | Wildlife | Landscape | Celestial | Experimental

e02937
Goldmember
2,714 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 27, 2010 15:30 |  #13

If you use the Amazon website you can arrange for an exchange without any human intervention, including printing a return label.

Canon 7d
[15-85 IS] [70-200
f/4L IS] [I'm a PC]
[Full gear list and feedback]

joonrhee
Goldmember
3,841 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 27, 2010 15:31 |  #14

+10 on Amazon customer service. Very very good with shipping, returns, price, and everything else. I have nothing but praises from my years of experience with them.

a7RII • RX1RII • CV12 • B18 • L21 • B25 • B85
Full Gear List & Feedback
SmugMug (external link)

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 27, 2010 15:36 |  #15

I've seen reports of this in the past and it's one of the reasons I shy away from Amazon for bodies or lenses. Their return service is good though and allow you to print a return label so you don't pay to ship something back.

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

5,747 views & 0 likes for this thread
Amazon Experience (85L)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.