Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 28 Sep 2010 (Tuesday) 16:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

tough decision. L glass or sigma

SaxonIV
768 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 28, 2010 16:02 |  #1

hi all, new here. i had nikons, and couldn't find a good forum, so i switched to canon :p

in all seriousness, i have a canon 40D and the sigma 18-50 f/2.8-4.5 and a 50 f/1.8 II. sigma is just so i have something in expensive wide, and actually i was pleasantly surprised by the quality. i like that it doesn't extend outward.

heres my question. i am looking to spend around 650 on a new lense in the next few months for sports. i've come up with 2 routs

- buy a canon 70-200 f/4 non is and shoot at higher iso, but buy noise ninja. i like this route because its a canon lens, and its much more durable, and i can use the software on other things as well.

- other things was to buy a sigma 70-200 f/2.8. less quality/sealing. and more money. but if i get a good copy, could be worth it.

any suggestions? oh yeah, ill be shooting sports/outdoors and also live bands indoors.

thanks again, think ive found a great forum finally.

saxon

sponsored links
Eric
Goldmember
1,253 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 28, 2010 16:04 |  #2

f/4 for indoor band shots likely will be way to slow. Should work great for daytime sporting events though.
Perhaps consider an 85 1.8 for your indoor band shots.

Welcome to the forums.

Eric Darlington Photography (external link)
flickr (external link) / [URL="[URL]http://eric​darlington.500px.com/"​]500px / [URL="[URL]http://www.​facebook.com/EricDarli​ngtonPhotography"]Face​book
[URL="[URL]http://phot​ography-on-the.net/forum/showpost​.php?p=8612297&postcou​nt=1945"]Tools

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 28, 2010 16:37 |  #3

The 70-200 f2.8 HSM II of the sigma has very good IQ and quality. The 70-200 f4 non-IS does NOT have weather sealing.

Both are good lenses, the f4 is much lighter but it can't do f2.8.

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

Mocows
Goldmember
1,055 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 28, 2010 16:37 |  #4

Having owned the 70-200 f4 nonIS (and not the sigma in question) the 70-200 f4 nonIS has no sealing either (ur point against the sigma). And as PhotoByED mentioned it is a bit slow for indoor shooting, the sigma would be my choice over the canon in this case.

Plus the sigma ex series is pretty high quality (my 30 f1.4 is top notch).

And Welcome :)

7D | XSi + Phottix Grip | 400 F/5.6 | 70-200 F/4 | Sigma 30 f/1.4 | Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 |430ex | Horusbennu C-2830V | Photo Clam PC-33
flickr gallery (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,109 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 28, 2010 16:48 |  #5

IMHO the SIGMA is as durable really.. and the IQ is excellent.

If you need f/2.8,. then it's a no brainer.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

SaxonIV
THREAD ­ STARTER
768 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 28, 2010 19:31 |  #6

ok i guess i just assumed the 70-200 was sealed. is it at least more durable? i think i can get one for around 500 dollars, vs 700 for the sigma.

would the 70-200 f/4L + the 85 f/1.8 be a good idea? seams like having both that do their particular job would be a great asset. and wouldnt be too much more than the sigma

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 28, 2010 22:33 |  #7

SaxonIV wrote in post #10996818 (external link)
ok i guess i just assumed the 70-200 was sealed. is it at least more durable? i think i can get one for around 500 dollars, vs 700 for the sigma.

would the 70-200 f/4L + the 85 f/1.8 be a good idea? seams like having both that do their particular job would be a great asset. and wouldnt be too much more than the sigma

Not all Canon L is sealed, so I wouldn't assume in the future. Sigma EX build is great, easily comparable to Canon L build. I would strongly recommend it. Now if you don't need/want f2.8, the Canon 70-200 f4 is light and good IQ, but if you need/want f2.8, then there is only once choice.

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

SiaoP
Goldmember
1,406 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 29, 2010 00:58 |  #8

Go Canon L. Save yourself the hassle of wondering whether the lens will work as said in specs on your Canon body. I personally find the Sigma flaky paint to be very annoying but that's just me. The Canon gear will hold its value very well and if you buy used you can basically net the cost back (or maybe more) if you decide to sell it.

My Flickr (external link) | Gear List

NatDeroxL7
Goldmember
1,194 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 29, 2010 01:16 |  #9

$300 more and you get an 70-200 f4 IS.

This is a very very excellent lens, and is completely sealed.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/52047419@N04/ (external link)
http://mpdphotography.​wordpress.com/ (external link)

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 29, 2010 01:20 |  #10

SiaoP wrote in post #10998607 (external link)
Go Canon L. Save yourself the hassle of wondering whether the lens will work as said in specs on your Canon body. I personally find the Sigma flaky paint to be very annoying but that's just me. The Canon gear will hold its value very well and if you buy used you can basically net the cost back (or maybe more) if you decide to sell it.

I would like to point out he is buying used, the Sigma has taken it's pice hit already, and that Sigma will keep it's value decently since the new one is double it's cost.

gotaudi
720 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 29, 2010 01:49 |  #11

get the tool you will actually be able to use... Dont buy because of branding.... if and f/2.8 means you will have more consistent shots then there isnt a choice... Sigma has a pretty good value compared to Canon... I would go with the sigma. I am actually looking exclusively for the sigma 70-200mm as I dont care for the white lenses.

SaxonIV
THREAD ­ STARTER
768 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 29, 2010 07:52 as a reply to  @ gotaudi's post |  #12

thanks guys for the help. i think it will come down to which one i can get a better price on. the canon is still appealing because of the durability and size. the fact that it is more compatible is also a great asset in the future.

stax
731 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 29, 2010 08:05 |  #13

SaxonIV wrote in post #10996818 (external link)
would the 70-200 f/4L + the 85 f/1.8 be a good idea?

many photographers use both lenses, myself included. the 85 f/1.8 is a great lens for shooting bands indoors.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/staxnet/ (external link)

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=865770

theextremist04
Goldmember
1,224 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Sep 29, 2010 08:54 |  #14

I know you've already gotten over the weather sealing, but just so you know the weather sealing on your body isn't great, which means that water can still get in there.

And I'd go for the Sigma, I've been shooting on one for close to a year and I have zero complaints (except the lack of IS which doesn't mean anything.)

-Michael
Gear - Flickr (external link) - Website (external link) - Facebook (external link)

AngryCorgi
-Bouncing Boy- a POTN peion
11,543 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Location: Surrounded by bunnies, squirrels and a couple of crazy corgis in NoVA...

Sep 29, 2010 09:00 |  #15

I had no problem with my Sigma 70-200 HSM II...then again I didn't have any problems with my Tammy 70-200/2.8 or my Canon 70-200/4 IS either...these are all very good IQ lenses.

AngryCorgi (external link) (aka Tom) ...Tools...

...Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is knowing not to include it in a fruit salad...

sponsored links

3,135 views & 0 likes for this thread
tough decision. L glass or sigma
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.