Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 Sep 2010 (Wednesday) 09:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lightly used G11 for $400. Good deal?

BobsYourUncle
Goldmember
1,529 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 29, 2010 09:48 |  #1

I posted a couple threads on my G9 dying. I have been researching a replacement. I decided to forget about trying to repair it.

I could wait for the G12 and pay about $550. plus tax and shipping, but I have found a lightly used G11 with 8 gig SDHC and a Canon RS60 wired remote for $400. no tax. It has 1317 shutter actuations and was bought in early August. Still has the remainder of Canon warranty.

What do you guys think of this? Deal or no? I am seriously considering buying this camera today.

Set Goals!! If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!
EOS 70D
G1X .... and this other stuff
G11 and
380EX & 430EX
G9 - DEAD (self destructed) I'll fix it one day!

sponsored links
mpix345
Goldmember
2,842 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 29, 2010 09:53 |  #2

Not a bad deal. They have been selling for $350-$360 in the Classifieds here, but you are getting extras with the camera + 10 months of warranty.

Sigmeister
95 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 29, 2010 10:59 as a reply to  @ mpix345's post |  #3

Why don't you call Canon Direct sales and ask them about the Canon Loyalty Program. You can trade you broken camera in on a refurb G11 for $259. Mine came and I actually think it is a new camera, maybe just an overurn. You can buy the G11 new for $428 which comes with a warranty. http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …7-REG/Canon_3632B001.htm​l (external link)

By the way The refurb comes with a 90 day Canon warranty.

Canon 7D MkII 18-135, 40, 10-18, 55-250

BobsYourUncle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,529 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 29, 2010 11:08 |  #4

Sigmeister wrote in post #11000847 (external link)
Why don't you call Canon Direct sales and ask them about the Canon Loyalty Program. You can trade you broken camera in on a refurb G11 for $259. Mine came and I actually think it is a new camera, maybe just an overurn. You can buy the G11 new for $428 which comes with a warranty. http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …7-REG/Canon_3632B001.htm​l (external link)

By the way The refurb comes with a 90 day Canon warranty.

It seems things are a lot different in Canada. For some reason, pricing is always more here.
I have been trying to find out about Canon loyalty for Canada, but it seems nobody knows anything about it.

I try giving them a phone call to find out.

If it is available here, I could always wait and do that for a G12 when they come out and then sell the G11. . . . Hmmmmm?

EOS 70D
G11 and
380EX & 430EX

audiosteve
146 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 29, 2010 11:34 |  #5

Not a good deal. With availability of the G12 imminent, the G11 will be available, for a very short time, for probably close to $400 in order to sell out the old inventory. I'd start looking now.

BobsYourUncle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,529 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 29, 2010 11:39 as a reply to  @ audiosteve's post |  #6

I just managed to get through to Canon on the phone to ask about the Canon Loyalty Program in Canada. Here is what I was told:

In Canada, Canon will offer 10% off any camera on their website store, including on sale or clearance items.

That's it, 10% off of a new camera.

EOS 70D
G11 and
380EX & 430EX

AngryCorgi
-Bouncing Boy- a POTN peion
11,543 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Location: Surrounded by bunnies, squirrels and a couple of crazy corgis in NoVA...

Sep 29, 2010 11:58 |  #7

Sounds like a good deal...

AngryCorgi (external link) (aka Tom) ...Tools...

...Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is knowing not to include it in a fruit salad...

Sigmeister
95 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 29, 2010 12:09 as a reply to  @ AngryCorgi's post |  #8

10% is an insult in IMHO. There are times when I really don't like Canon. This is one of those times. The G12 won't be on the Loyalty Program for a very long time.

Canon 7D MkII 18-135, 40, 10-18, 55-250

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 29, 2010 12:25 |  #9

For Canadians:
Suggest you look at www photoprice dot ca and check out the price on the '11.
Some retailers will match prices for you.
They usually check to see if the store is licensed to sell Canon (or whatever brand you choose), and that they have stock.
There used to be afurther advantage dealing out of province to save tax, but I think that's gone now. HST=harmony sales tax=Heist!

Hope this helps,
DaveL

Dave

BobsYourUncle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,529 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 29, 2010 12:26 |  #10

Sigmeister wrote in post #11001302 (external link)
10% is an insult in IMHO. There are times when I really don't like Canon. This is one of those times. The G12 won't be on the Loyalty Program for a very long time.

Yeah, exactly how I felt about it. I am a loyal Canon user. I have multiple printers, cameras and other Canon stuff. 10% is a joke.

Lets analyze this:

Canon.ca website offers a new G11, after their 20 dollar generous discount, for $549.99. Take 10% off and you have $494.99 plus taxes. In BC it is 12% tax so that makes the price $554.39 at my door. They do offer free shipping with this.

My favorite camera store is in Calgary Alberta. thecamerastore.com They offer the G11 for $487.67. Their tax rate is different. I think it is only one tax at 5%, as the PST is hidden in the price. So that makes it $512.05. There is shipping, but I do travel to Calgary frequently and could pick it up in person. The website does show a no stock status, however. And I might be off base on the tax situation, but it is still cheaper.

So, after Canon has so gracefully offered me a screaming deal on a tradeup to a G11, I can pay them $42.34 more than what I can buy it at retail for from thecamerastore.

I neglected to ask them if I have to surrender my G9 brick to them.

WOW!!!! Thanks, Canon - you guys are awesome . . . . . . . .:roll: :shock:

EOS 70D
G11 and
380EX & 430EX

onatrain
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined May 2006

Sep 29, 2010 12:33 as a reply to  @ BobsYourUncle's post |  #11

I wish I visited Alberta often (living in Toronto where there are no real mountains) because they have no PST whatsoever.

RafaPolit
Goldmember
1,668 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Sep 29, 2010 13:20 |  #12

BobsYourUncle,

I can certainly relate to being treated differently, as, here in Ecuador, we don't even have a Canon store or any kind of loyalty program, plus, Optical Elements are taxed with 20% and then 12% VAT, so you can imagine, prices sky rocket for this type of equipment.

What we do is:
- Buy from Amazon (or any other online store) and then either
a. Have someone bring over the item (most of us are certain to find a friend that is making the trip) or
b. Import them individually through customs, which, as luck will have it, if the package is under $400 or 4Kgms., is not taxed.

I don't know if any of this procedures would be considered illegal in Canada, here it certainly isn't, our customs are always involved in the process and we don't have any problems. The only minor caveat would be the warranty, but, since here no one can honor any type of Canon warranty, we don't make any issue of it, perhaps for you its a bit different. Could you register for warranty (in Canada) a camera bought in the US?

If that's the case you could have the Loyalty Program applied in the US and then brought to Canada?

Just thinking of the options as we always have to find ways here in Ecuador (legal always, of course, no black-market stuff)

Rafa.

Rebel T2i | EF-S 17-55 IS | EF 70-200 f4L | EF-S 10-22 | 430EX II |
Picture Galleries at:
www.rafaelpolit.com (external link)

BobsYourUncle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,529 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 29, 2010 14:31 as a reply to  @ RafaPolit's post |  #13

Hi Rafa,
Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions.

While I have considered some of this, I sometimes perhaps get impatient with my time. Being a business owner, I find I have little time to devote to things I would like to pursue. I have to sometimes draw a line and just move ahead, minimizing time spent while doing so.

I guess what I mean by this is that I don't feel like spending time looking on eBay, Amazon and other sites.

I considered finding someone in the US to give my G9 to so they could use the Canon Loyalty program on it for me. But then I have to drive across the line to drop it off or ship it. Then the same thing getting it back here. Cost of fuel or shipping has to be considered. For me, it's just not worth the hassle. I don't think this would be illegal here - I can't see any laws being broken or even bent.

I don't know if a US purchased camera could be registered for warranty in Canada. I don't see why not.

Thanks, Rafa!

EOS 70D
G11 and
380EX & 430EX

BobsYourUncle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,529 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 29, 2010 22:34 as a reply to  @ BobsYourUncle's post |  #14

Well, I went ahead and bought the G11 today.

Yahoo!!!
:p:p:p:p
I'm back in action again. Somehow, my wifes old Casio just didn't cut it.

This thing is absolutely like new in every detail. Not even a rub mark on it! It came with the Canon wired remote. Cool! Great for macro shots. And he threw in a mini tripod too in addition to the 8 gig SDHC card. I did a check on the shutter actuations (if you can call it that) 1005 total. And no errors reported. 2 months old so it has 10 months of Canon warranty left.

Yeah I know the prices are going to drop on the G11. But the 12 is not here yet, my G9 is dead, and I need a camera - NOW! I'm ok with the 400 bucks I spent today. And I have my articulating screen back that I so very much missed from the G2.

And I still get to participate in the G series forum!:D

Anyone need a G9 for parts?

EOS 70D
G11 and
380EX & 430EX

RafaPolit
Goldmember
1,668 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Sep 29, 2010 23:05 |  #15

Great to know BobsYourUncle!

Looking forward to your pictures on the weekly challenges! ;)

Rebel T2i | EF-S 17-55 IS | EF 70-200 f4L | EF-S 10-22 | 430EX II |
Picture Galleries at:
www.rafaelpolit.com (external link)

sponsored links

3,674 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lightly used G11 for $400. Good deal?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.