Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 30 Sep 2010 (Thursday) 08:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Slowest Vehicle You Have Ever Driven

AngryCorgi
-Bouncing Boy- a POTN peion
11,547 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Location: Surrounded by bunnies, squirrels and a couple of crazy corgis in NoVA...

Sep 30, 2010 08:00 |  #1

Looking at the glorious automotive happiness documented in the "Fastest Car..." thread, I felt pity on all the poor schmucks with slow beaters who maybe felt too ashamed or outclassed to post photos/stories of their rides in the other thread. Well, this threads for you! Turn your shame into pride here...and the person with the biggest pile of automotive FAIL wins! :mrgreen:

My Slowest Car Ever:

I am calling my mom to see about a photo of my old first car...hopefully she still has a polaroid lying around of it. It was sweet...it was freedom...it was SLOW! My first ride back in '91 was a light blue 1966 Ford Mustang w/ a 200 cube straight-6 and a 3-speed (ford C4) auto transmission. It sported factory leaf springs (you might have them on your truck or trailer nowadays) and 9" drum brakes. The engine made a whopping 120hp (gross, not SAE net!) and drank life through a 1-barrel venturi carb. It was a hand-me-down from my brother (he's 2-1/2 years older than me) and he had run it into the ground. The one sweet feature it had was an FM radio and a cassette player (usually harboring some of Bon Jovi's better work). The brakes and steering were unpowered. There was no A/C and the heater was a complete joke. The steering was handled via a recirculating ball (also popular in solid front axle trucks) setup with a 15" diameter steering wheel that took like 4 turns to go from extreme left to extreme right. It was lighter-than-usual-blue in color, because my moron brother chose to clean it, wax it and then NOT remove the wax for nearly 24 hours...the Texas summer sun handled the rest. The car was basically bleached from the experience.

I was with my brother the night he broke 100mph in it. It never ran the same again. The #4 cylinder leaked oil like crazy. I needed to constantly check the oil level and top it off. Once every two weeks I would need to take the #4 spark plug out and sand-blast and re-gap it because of the oil leakage gumming it solid, creating a non-firing #4 cylinder. The speedo went to 140mph, but who are we kidding!? With 5.5" wide wheels, stock shocks and leaf springs, the thing handled like a shopping cart at normal speeds. Above 60, you were testing your luck to turn the wheel at all. Occasionally, when I would make sharp right turns, my right rear hub cap (with the fake spinner look...so cool!...in 1966) would fly into the nearest available ditch. I would then pull over and walk back to reclaim my property while all those at the intersection stared. I feared the highway. Acceleration was a serious weak point above 40mph. It took 4-5 seconds from 40-50...another 10 seconds from 50-60. It really sounded ready to explode over 65 (the 3-speed topped at a 1:1 ratio...no overdrive here, folks), so I avoided major highways or stayed in the right-most lane.

I spent most weekends repairing/maintenencin​g my mustang. We had a hydraulic lift in the back yard and a lot of pneumatic tools and spare parts, so there was plenty of opportunity to keep the car alive. I remember getting new brakes (not just shoes, the actual brake drums too) for my 17th birthday. It was a happy moment. It meant my car might have some hope of stopping in a reasonable distance again. Before the replacement, I would literally stand (both feet) on the brake pedal to come to a stop in an emergency. After the brake job me and my dad did, I remember two-foot stopping and the tires all locking up and sliding. That seemed like an improvement. No more blaming the brakes...now I could blame the tires! :-P

All in all, I had the car only two years before replacing it at graduation with a '94 Mustang. I still miss that li'l piece of crap '66. I've had a lot of different cars, usually buying/selling them every 1-2 years. Since the '66 Mustang, I've had 12 other cars, some fast, some utilitarian, but I had so many fond memories of the slowest car I have ever owned. I hope there are still some '66s around (that haven't totally rusted out) in 5-10 years. I really want to own one again in the future.

I'll try and get a photo and scan it in and post it here later if my mom can find one.

Feel free to share your story and photo(s)...doesn't have to be a car you love, just the slowest one you've ever owned! ;)

AngryCorgi (external link) (aka Tom) ...Tools...

...Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is knowing not to include it in a fruit salad...

sponsored links
mbellot
"My dog ate my title"
3,362 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Sep 30, 2010 09:01 |  #2

When I'm driving there is no such thing as a "slow" car.

:p

But in the spirit of the thread, probably a 1976 Chevy Nova.

Lazuka
Cream of the Crop
5,639 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 30, 2010 11:30 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

1990 ford temp, if it was any slower I would have been going in reverse.

I suck at Photoshop.

hawkeye60
Goldmember
2,079 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 30, 2010 11:35 |  #4

I once owned a Mitsubishi Precis (actually a Hyandai in deguise) that I kept in a vacation home. No power at all, if there was a leaf in the road I had to downshift to drive over it.

It's a lens not a lense!
The truest test of character is what you do when you think no one is looking.

DunnoWhen
Goldmember
1,748 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Sep 30, 2010 12:08 as a reply to  @ hawkeye60's post |  #5

My little trike when I was 2 years old.

My wisdom is learned from the experience of others.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,255 posts
Gallery: 291 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 30, 2010 12:10 |  #6

1947 Ford 8N tractor.

Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
66,487 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Joined Sep 2005
Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

Sep 30, 2010 13:01 |  #7

A Buffalo Springfield roller....that looked exactly like this one...right down to the rippers.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/blazer8696/2896​904690/ (external link)

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,084 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 30, 2010 13:19 |  #8

Got stuck with a PT Cruiser on vacation a while back. Dangerously SLOW!!! Couldn't hit 50mph on freeway intrance.

dave

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

joayne
Cream of the Crop
13,553 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 30, 2010 13:22 |  #9

I got to drive a city bus one time....
... no license etc. Just me and the "real" driver...

joayne Contribute to POTN | Worldwide Photo Week

Please Quote the post to which you are responding.

mguffin
Goldmember
2,627 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 30, 2010 13:29 |  #10

I got a brand new Yugo for my high school graduation in 1986. The AMC Gremlin I had before that was faster...

Mike
Nikon D800 ~ Nikon D500
Sigma 35 f/1.4 DG ~ Nikkor 50 f/1.8G ~ Nikkor 85 f/1.8G ~ Nikkor 12-24 f/4 DX ~ Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8 DX ~ Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 VR ~ Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 DC ~ Sigma 50-100 f/1.8 DC

DL.Photography
Goldmember
1,456 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 30, 2010 13:30 |  #11

Nissan Versa lol

- Dan
Gear List & Feedback

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,255 posts
Gallery: 291 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 30, 2010 13:35 |  #12

mguffin wrote in post #11008889 (external link)
I got a brand new Yugo for my high school graduation in 1986. The AMC Gremlin I had before that was faster...

Your parents really didnt like you much :)

AngryCorgi
THREAD ­ STARTER
-Bouncing Boy- a POTN peion
11,547 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Location: Surrounded by bunnies, squirrels and a couple of crazy corgis in NoVA...

Sep 30, 2010 13:45 |  #13

With the flooding rain here in VA, my GTi is about to be one slow ride home on 29.

AngryCorgi (external link) (aka Tom) ...Tools...

...Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is knowing not to include it in a fruit salad...

Gatorboy
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined May 2005

Sep 30, 2010 13:49 |  #14

My Bobcat 873 skidsteer.

Dave Hoffmann

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Sep 30, 2010 15:23 |  #15

1959 David Bradley Suburban (external link) my father got new. My sister still has it. It still works. She's started collecting more of them.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

sponsored links

10,165 views & 0 likes for this thread
Slowest Vehicle You Have Ever Driven
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.