Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 30 Sep 2010 (Thursday) 08:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Slowest Vehicle You Have Ever Driven

PhotosByEric
Goldmember
1,060 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Oct 01, 2010 01:40 |  #31

My old work truck was a 76 International with 400,000 plus miles on it. With a trailer on the back I was lucky to get it upto 50 on the freeways.

Personal was a 1990 Suzuki Samurai, stock 66 HP baby!! With me driving and 2 good sized buddies in it we were lucky to hit 30 going up a freeway hill. But take it out in the woods and it would go places. That thing was so small, it would fit on the dirt bike trails.

www.photosbyeric.smugm​ug.com (external link)
Canon 30D, Canon 15-85, Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon 60 2.8 macro, 580exI, 430exI, st-e2, and a wish list a mile long:lol:

DreamCrushers in POTN FF

sponsored links
joeseph
"smells like turd"
11,041 posts
Gallery: 200 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Oct 01, 2010 04:30 |  #32

I still own an Austin A30... I wondered wether the starter motor had more horsepower than the 803cc engine, but then I could always use the crankhandle to add some xtra.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", and an M5, also an M6 that has had a 720nm filter bolted onto the sensor:
TF posting: here :-)

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 01, 2010 04:42 |  #33

The slowest would be the Toyota Tamaraw FX... I think I pushed it quite hard..and at 5th gear it only went around 50-60kph

http://images03.olx.co​m.ph/ui/2/64/55/207359​55_1.jpg (external link)

www.monk3y.com (external link) | My GEAR

AngryCorgi
THREAD ­ STARTER
-Bouncing Boy- a POTN peion
11,547 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Location: Surrounded by bunnies, squirrels and a couple of crazy corgis in NoVA...

Oct 01, 2010 06:19 |  #34

conroy9940 wrote in post #11009741 (external link)
my first car would definitely be the slowest car.. 1989 Ford Festiva

Actually, Festivas were quite zippy for what they were (if you had a 5-spd manual transmission + 1.3L combo, that is). I remember the Road & Track article on the "SHOGUN" Festiva...essentially a modded Festiva with a Taurus SHO 3.0 engine and transaxle in the rear making a severally rear-heavy, but crazy-fast/light car.

There were only a handful, and, of course, Jay Leno has one. :rolleyes:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

AngryCorgi (external link) (aka Tom) ...Tools...

...Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is knowing not to include it in a fruit salad...

neilwood32
Cream of the Crop
6,231 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 01, 2010 06:57 |  #35

Slowest vehicle I have ever driven on a road - the Ford Fiesta!

Got my parents one when they decided to replace it for the measly sum of £75 but I think I overpaid! I got the 1.1 variant but it still couldn't pull the skin of a rice pudding! 0-60 was possible, in fact I think I managed it in 2(minutes as opposed to seconds) - it would manage 70 on a motorway but only just! If you were game enough to try 70, the wings would start to shake and steering became a matter of luck. Braking was decent ( I think that was the best thing on the car) I do remember having to come down the gear box to allow me to get up hills - sometimes to second!

It didn't come with a radio, cassette or anything else modern like that - the window washer system was a foot operated pump!

Definitely nothing like power steering or any of that modern nonsense!

Having a camera makes you no more a photographer than having a hammer and some nails makes you a carpenter - Claude Adams
Keep calm and carry a camera!
My Gear

Moppie
15,051 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Oct 01, 2010 07:24 |  #36

My first car, and also my slowest was a 78 Nissan/Datsun Cheery 100a.
Powered by an Austin A series motor built under license by Nissan, it had a massive 58hp from 998cc. Single carb, 4 speed gear box, it arrived with out a radio as a gift from my Grandmother.
It was so small and under powered I even got it stuck in the gravel car park the first time I drove it to school.

Top speed on a flat road was about 120kph, but did manage 140kph down a hill with all 8 valves bouncing wide open.
The suspension set up was nice, but it's agility was let down by 155, 70R 13 tyres. I used to be able to throw it at a corner then work it sideways around the corner changing between over steer and under steer, all while doing about 40kph.

Possibly one of the best worst cars I've ever owned though, everything happened in slow motion, but there was no power steering or assisted brakes to blunt response, and the very tight suspension combined with small tires and curb weight of well under 1,000kgs made it very responsive to drive.
I learned a lot about car control, all at speeds to slow to do myself any damage.
Then I learned about preserving momentum, and managed some point to point times in it that I have a hard time matching in much faster cars.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

Now more than ever we need to be a community, working together and for each other, as photographers, as lovers of photography and as members of POTN.

S7000
My brain hurts
7,097 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 01, 2010 07:24 |  #37

This old girl! The fastest I dared to drive her was 135kph. At that speed she was shaking and felt like she was about to fall apart.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Ah the memories. :lol:

Ps. It was a '78 Falcon 500.

Phil | flickr (external link) | Gear | Website (external link)

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,781 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2004

Oct 01, 2010 08:27 as a reply to  @ S7000's post |  #38

Rode in a cart drawn by a caribou (water buffalo) in the Philippine countryside once. That's probably the slowest vehicle I've ridden in with a wide-open road ahead of me.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

uOpt
Goldmember
2,283 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 01, 2010 08:38 |  #39

I had a Mercedes /8 200D (114 series) automatic which I thought was the slowest car in the world. 55 hp diesel no turbo.

Then, later I got a 123 series Mercedes that was a 250 gasoline converted to said 55 hp 200D engine. Same engine, a little more weight but the longer transmission from the "high-powered" fast 250 :D

My imagine composition sucks. I need a heavier lens.

John_B
Cream of the Crop
7,215 posts
Gallery: 121 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 01, 2010 08:55 |  #40

The slowest vehicle I have owned was also the biggest vehicle I have owned.
This van has been to 39 different states and traveled almost 100K ;)

Old Luv Van

IMAGE: http://johnbdigital.com/misc/old-luv-van.jpg
Click for SpecsIMAGE LINK: http://johnbdigital.co​m/blog/misc/old-luv-van.htm  (external link)

Sony A6500, A6000, Apeman A80, & a bunch of Lenses.............  (external link)
click to see (external link)
JohnBdigital.com (external link)

AngryCorgi
THREAD ­ STARTER
11,547 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Location: Surrounded by bunnies, squirrels and a couple of crazy corgis in NoVA...

Oct 01, 2010 09:02 |  #41

John_B wrote in post #11013832 (external link)
The slowest vehicle I have owned was also the biggest vehicle I have owned.
This van has been to 39 different states and traveled almost 100K ;)

Old Luv Van (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE
Click for SpecsIMAGE LINK: http://johnbdigital.co​m/blog/misc/old-luv-van.htm  (external link)

And judging by the rust underneat its seen lots of NY! ;)

I just purchased a used Jeep GC that has gobs and gobs of rust underneath. Had to replace the exhaust immediately, but he engine is solid (4.0 six) and should last longer than me!

That vans a trooper for making it this far...hope you have many, many more slow plodding miles to come. :lol:

...Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is knowing not to include it in a fruit salad...

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 01, 2010 11:57 |  #42

RDKirk wrote in post #11013717 (external link)
Rode in a cart drawn by a caribou (water buffalo) in the Philippine countryside once. That's probably the slowest vehicle I've ridden in with a wide-open road ahead of me.

ohhh haha where in the Philippines did you go?

are you talking about something like this? :lol: there are a lot of them in rural areas :lol:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

www.monk3y.com (external link) | My GEAR

AngryCorgi
THREAD ­ STARTER
11,547 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 01, 2010 12:39 |  #43

monk3y wrote in post #11014867 (external link)
ohhh haha where in the Philippines did you go?

are you talking about something like this? :lol: there are a lot of them in rural areas :lol:
IMAGE NOT FOUND
| Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

That looks like fun...

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,270 posts
Gallery: 296 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 01, 2010 12:53 |  #44

My grandmother had a late 70's chevette that would drop ten MPH at highway speed if you turned on the AC.

Swaffs
Goldmember
4,500 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Oct 01, 2010 13:04 |  #45

Thats an easy one for me,
spent many years driving these around

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Rich Swaffs, Sports & Event photographer.
WWW.SWAFFSPHOTOGRAPHY.​CO.UK (external link)
1DMKIII x 2 | 5DMKII | WFT-E2 | SIGMA 10-20 | SIGMA 24-70 f/2.8 | CANON 24-105 f/4 L IS | CANON 85 f/1.2 L II | CANON 100 f/2.8 Macro | CANON 70-200 f/2.8 L IS | CANON 400 f/2.8 L | 580 EX | 1.4 & 2.0 Extenders| Tubes| Strobes| Bags | PW Flex TT1/TT5/Plus II's

sponsored links

10,186 views & 0 likes for this thread
Slowest Vehicle You Have Ever Driven
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.