Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 30 Sep 2010 (Thursday) 18:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Batch processing in LR/PS?

jeljohns
334 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 30, 2010 18:46 |  #1

Is there a way to take multiple photos from LR to PS and edit them all the same way in a batch? It takes forever to take one photo from LR to PS, edit it, then take it back to LR.

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 30, 2010 20:38 |  #2

Well, first of all, when I select more than one CR2 in Lightroom then right-click and choose edit in Photoshop, those multiple images open together in the same Photoshop workspace. From there it's pretty easy to run actions, etc, using the Photop Automate/Scripts tools, etc (having all the images selected in PS). That works for me, what about you?

Or, there are a couple ways that I can think of, depending on whether you have a "matching" version of ACR for your LR processing.

With LR3 and CS5, you can process one of the batch in LR, sync the rest, then apply the Save Metadata to File operation. Then, you open Bridge and when you navigate to those files Bridge will "read" the metadata xmp files. You can then run the Raw files through the Image Processor or just open the batch in Photoshop.

For earlier versions of Photoshop you would do better by just converting the batch in LR to tiffs or psds. Then, like the above, you can open them as a batch through Bridge.

So, three ways to me get to the same place. Are you having a problem somewhere?

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 30, 2010 20:43 |  #3

One more way: Photoshop has a utility called "droplets" where you can create a PS action and then save it in the special droplet format. Droplets are a versatile way of making actions accessible to outside sources, and that includes Lightroom. If you develop a PS droplet you can put it in the LR Export Actions folder, and then when you export a batch of LR exports/conversions and choose that droplet, then the files will be opened in PS and the action will be run on them. It would be worth looking up the Help resources for droplets and such!

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 01, 2010 08:24 |  #4

Select all, Export to the same folder with "add to catalog" and "stack" ticked, run a batch, synchronise?

What is it you want to do in batch in PS? I cannot think of anything that I'd batch in PS that I wouldn't do in LR instead...

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Hangerhead
363 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 25, 2010 03:01 |  #5

Tony (probably... :) )

I created an action in CS5 (mainly applies a border and signature action). I created it as a droplet and once I had worked out where Lightroom likes to see the droplets, I saved it there - when I open lightroom/Export, my Droplet is one of the items in the drop down list in Post Export area, so all good.

I ahve proven that the scripts work, manually running them, and also running them as part of a Batch (from Bridge>PS Image Processor) and everything works fine.

BUT...when i ran from lightroom, none of the images worked as I got pop-ups telling me Droplet could not communicate with Photoshop (or something like this, i am at work just now).

So, i read up a little about it, and it was suggested that User Access Control (Windows Vista) might be to blame and I should quit everything...re-open PS (Run as administrator) and re-create the droplet...then for the droplet, properties/security Tick Run as admin...

I did this and for good measure, also disabled UAC.

I re-ran the Export function from Lightroom...this time, about 10 images worked, and then again I got the pop-up warning me Droplet could not communicate with Photoshop.
If i drop an image directly onto the droplet it works.

If i try to drop all 192 images on the droplet, it crashes out without processing any of them.

So, the only way at the moment I can get the images to all get processed using my script, is to use the image processor/batch.

This means generating the JPEG from LR, (saving it) and then opening it to apply the action and saving it again which is not a good idea for JPEG compression, especiallybecause I then also save to CD and to Smugmug...

Perhaps I should export only as TIFF from LR, and then use the droplet to create the JPEG...

ANyway, first things first...how do I get the droplet to be work on all selected images.

thanks...

www.hangerhead.smugmug​.com (external link)

Canon 1DS MK II, Canon 40D
Canon 70-200mm L f4, Canon 50mm f1.4, Canon 17-55mm IS f2.8, Canon 85mm f1.8, Canon 24-105 IS f4 L, 17-40 L

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 25, 2010 03:23 |  #6

OK, I haven't done much of this, so you are beyond me -- I do all my batch prosessing in LR -- so, check out the documentation with the little "gotchas"!

Tony

Hangerhead
363 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 25, 2010 04:08 |  #7

well...the batch processing within Lightroom is what's causing me the problems...the 'workaround' so far is for me to do the batch processing from Adobe Bridge.

I want my Droplet to work on all images from within lightroom.

Oh, also, in PS, is there a way from LR to export as TIFF to PS, run the actions and then SAVE AS JPEG quality 12, restrict size to 24mb without needing me to change filenames at all.

So, from LR, Export as TIFF image1.TIFF
Run droplet action in PS (through Droplet accessed in LR)
Set image size to <24MB and Save As Qual 12. Image1.JPEG.

Canon 70-200mm L f4, Canon 50mm f1.4, Canon 17-55mm IS f2.8, Canon 85mm f1.8, Canon 24-105 IS f4 L, 17-40 L

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 25, 2010 06:19 |  #8

I googled the error message, and found these:
http://forums.adobe.co​m/thread/729279 (external link)
http://tuts9.com …ommunicate-with-photoshop (external link)
http://forum.photograp​hers.co.uk …b497d32348aa933​dbe20ebbf9 (external link)

Maybe one of them is useful...

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Hangerhead
363 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 25, 2010 07:22 |  #9

Rene,

appreciate the effort :)

I'd already done searches for it and so this is why I had already disabled UAC (but had also done the File Permission security properties and set to Run as Admin) anyway.

I am at work so can't check to see if CS5 is at the latest version, it should be as I think I did an update when i installed it 1 month ago.
The first post (first useful reply anyway) covers the UAC issues I had already outlined.
The 2nd link is a question about the problem (dated Friday, July 9th, 2010 )...it has no Fix information and no replies ?
The third link talks about the same issue but is dated Jun this year and has no updated fix info.

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 25, 2010 08:47 |  #10

Where is your droplet saved? Is it saved to the Export Actions folder? Are you running the droplet from the Post Processing section of the Export dialog box?

Gear List

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 25, 2010 09:33 |  #11

Hangerhead wrote in post #11159609 (external link)
Oh, also, in PS, is there a way from LR to export as TIFF to PS, run the actions and then SAVE AS JPEG quality 12, restrict size to 24mb without needing me to change filenames at all.

So, from LR, Export as TIFF image1.TIFF
Run droplet action in PS (through Droplet accessed in LR)
Set image size to <24MB and Save As Qual 12. Image1.JPEG.

You will have to include the Save As jpeg in the action the droplet is based on -- so Lightroom exports a tiff, runs the droplet and a jpeg is saved. But, if the question is can you use Photoshop to save the jpeg and over-write the tiff, I don't think you can do that, but you could play with Photoshop to see.

Tony

Hangerhead
363 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 25, 2010 09:58 |  #12

Tony,

the question only to make sure when I use the 'Save As' dialog, that PS (via a script or LR via the Droplet) doesn't try to use the sane filename for all subsequent JPEG saves.

PixelMagic:

... and once I had worked out where Lightroom likes to see the droplets, I saved it there - when I open lightroom/Export, my Droplet is one of the items in the drop down list in Post Export area, so all good.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 25, 2010 13:58 |  #13

There are ways to set up the save options in an action that make sure you don't do things like that, but I'm not at my PS/Lightroom workstation right now and open the similar action/droplet I set up for this several years ago and don't remember the particulars -- hopefully someone will chime in.

Tony

sponsored links

1,431 views & 0 likes for this thread
Batch processing in LR/PS?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.