Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 02 Oct 2010 (Saturday) 15:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The Brown Boots Wedding...

Old ­ Coot
295 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 02, 2010 15:10 |  #1

...as in Michael Brown and Christina Boots. The wedding was held in a theater built in 1936 and had possible the worst lighting ever for a guy that takes pictures of kids playing softball/baseball for fun. I tried to get out of taking the wedding pictures, but he is a friend and had no budget for a photographer and has served our country for several years, so with a borrowed 15-85, 70-200 and 580exII, I set off to photograph my first 'real' wedding.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

5d | 50d | 1d mii | Rebel G 35mm | Polaroid 100, 210, 360 | Bigma | Tokina 80-200 | Promaster 19-35 | 580ex | Olde Tyme Novatron strobes

sponsored links
EdenBarLev
127 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Oct 02, 2010 15:56 |  #2

I find the first picture a bit noisy and not sharp..
I think that the background is great in the first pictures, but in the secound one I think it's not.

Eden B.L
550D | 18-55 kit | 55-250 | 580EX mk.2 |

FerNie
49 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 03, 2010 03:44 |  #3

Crop the first image so that the arms on each end don't show.

Old ­ Coot
THREAD ­ STARTER
295 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 03, 2010 18:29 as a reply to  @ FerNie's post |  #4

Thanks for the comments so far, I appreciate it. Of all the pictures I took, there were some that were better and some that were worse, but all in all, I learned that I don't want to ever photograph another wedding! You guys work way too hard :) I think that I will stick to kids playing ball instead.

5d | 50d | 1d mii | Rebel G 35mm | Polaroid 100, 210, 360 | Bigma | Tokina 80-200 | Promaster 19-35 | 580ex | Olde Tyme Novatron strobes

LeftSide
144 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 05, 2010 11:19 |  #5

Weddings are hard, but they get better. I did my first wedding for a friend this year and it went horribly. It was in a very cluttered church that had terrible florescent lighting. I couldn't use flash during the ceremony, and couldn't walk past halfway down the isle. Most of the pictures turned out green or purple from the florescent lights, and I had to individually fix the wb in every one. Some were uncorrectable. The backgrounds were terrible cluttered.
I wanted to quit! But a few weeks later I was a second shooter at a more extravagant wedding, and most of my shots turned out great.
Yes, the background looks terrible in #2, but you caught the moment and showed the expression. Work on composition, expression, and lighting and the backgrounds will get better. Don't be discouraged.

Positive Feedback

enrigonz
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 05, 2010 11:27 |  #6

Old Coot wrote in post #11026844 (external link)
Thanks for the comments so far, I appreciate it. Of all the pictures I took, there were some that were better and some that were worse, but all in all, I learned that I don't want to ever photograph another wedding! You guys work way too hard :) I think that I will stick to kids playing ball instead.

I feel the same way you do, I've never done one but recently put a proposal together for one and backed-out of it at the end. Not worth it at the end unless you're a well known wedding photographer that can charge good money for the job. After I put together all the gear, the hours of work before and after, I decided I needed to charge 5x the amount the clients wanted to pay.

Canon Stuff :) |Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

cynergie23
271 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 05, 2010 22:59 |  #7

Great start! May need more experience with composition and pp, but otherwise a valiant effort!

40D, Tamron 28-75, 50 1.8 II

sponsored links

1,725 views & 0 likes for this thread
The Brown Boots Wedding...
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.