Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 03 Oct 2010 (Sunday) 20:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Attaching RC2 plate to monopod

FullStop ­ Photography
597 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 03, 2010 20:02 |  #1

This is pretty much a newbie accessory question. I currently have a cheapy Opteka monopod I bought from Amazon (external link). I'd like to be able to use it with my 5D2 which is normally mounted with the RC2 plate from my Manfrotto 488RC2 ballhead. I'd like to be able to attach something to the monopod so that I can attach the 5D2 (hopefully with the quick release plate) so it can be moved from portrait to landscape mode easily -- but if this is not possible, then at least in portrait mode where I do most of my shooting. Can someone suggest what fitting/mechanism I need to buy? Thanks.

website (external link) · facebook (external link) · tumblr (external link)

sponsored links
SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Oct 03, 2010 20:05 |  #2

Get a Manfrotto 323 RC2 adapter (external link). Mount that to the monopod. You get an extra quick release plate in the process.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

FullStop ­ Photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
597 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 03, 2010 20:20 |  #3

Thanks! Following your lead, it looks like I will also want the Manfrotto 234 Monopod Tilt Head to accomplish the tilting I want.

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Oct 03, 2010 20:25 |  #4

fullcity wrote in post #11027485 (external link)
Thanks! Following your lead, it looks like I will also want the Manfrotto 234 Monopod Tilt Head to accomplish the tilting I want.

For some folks, the 234 is adequate. For me, it's not. I use my monopod at all sorts of "wierd" angles (such as the foot of the monopod way out in front of me while I'm sitting on a boulder) with the camera at all angles to the monopod. Thus, I use a Manfrotto 486RC2 (the ancestor to today's 496RC2) on my Manfrotto 680B monopod.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

FullStop ­ Photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
597 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 03, 2010 22:27 |  #5

Actually I have the 488RC2 ... isn't this the same, more or less, as your 486? If so, perhaps all I need to mount this to the monopod is this set of Manfrotto reducing bushings (external link) to allow the 488 to mount to the smaller tripod male screw? Of course, B&H is currently OOS....

lannes
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 03, 2010 23:10 |  #6

fullcity wrote in post #11028341 (external link)
If so, perhaps all I need to mount this to the monopod is this set of Manfrotto reducing bushings (external link) to allow the 488 to mount to the smaller tripod male screw? Of course, B&H is currently OOS....

http://www.adorama.com​/GZGS5000.html (external link)

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

FullStop ­ Photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
597 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 03, 2010 23:21 |  #7

Thanks. Now that I'm researching this some more, I'm thinking the Opteka monopod might be too fragile to support my 5D2+grip+24-70 without fear of breaking. The fact that it comes with a 1/4" thread may mean it's really not designed for heavy duty work. Now actually considering getting a beefier monopod, like the Manfrotto 679B, which apparently comes with a 3/8" retractable screw attachment. Serves me right for being cheap in the first place :(

SkedAddled
Goldmember
2,632 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 03, 2010 23:35 |  #8

I'm facing a similar dillemma, wherein I'll have to consider RC2 vs Other QR systems.
On the one hand, I am loath to give up on my RC2 system, but the other camp tells me to give it up and go with some sort of Arca-Swiss system. Unfortunately for me, the alternatives appear to all be in the Arca-Swiss camp, which makes my decision to change over a most expensive one, at around US $33 per plate.

I've already invested into the RC2 system, and it works well for me, including the VERY HEAVY lenses I own from long before the AF variants. I'd much rather replace my ballheads knowing I can also replace the QR receiver platforms on them, but I've had a helluva time in finding out about what will work and what will not. And I'm still looking.

Craig5D4|50D|S3iS|AF:Σ10-20|Canon 28-135 USM IS|MF:Tamron SP 28-80|Tamron SP 60-300|Soligor 75-260|Soligor 400|Soligor C/D 500|Zuiko 50 f/1.8|others
Support this exceptional forum
Of course I'm all right! Why? What have you heard?!?

FullStop ­ Photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
597 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 04, 2010 00:32 |  #9

SkedAddled wrote in post #11028719 (external link)
I'm facing a similar dillemma, wherein I'll have to consider RC2 vs Other QR systems.
On the one hand, I am loath to give up on my RC2 system, but the other camp tells me to give it up and go with some sort of Arca-Swiss system. Unfortunately for me, the alternatives appear to all be in the Arca-Swiss camp, which makes my decision to change over a most expensive one, at around US $33 per plate.

I've already invested into the RC2 system, and it works well for me, including the VERY HEAVY lenses I own from long before the AF variants. I'd much rather replace my ballheads knowing I can also replace the QR receiver platforms on them, but I've had a helluva time in finding out about what will work and what will not. And I'm still looking.

I hear you; I looked at the Arca Swiss too (which would allow using the RRS system) but I'm trying to minimize my costs. Good luck to you and me both.

phreeky
Goldmember
3,514 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 04, 2010 00:38 |  #10

I'm giving up on the manfrotto QR stuff. I don't like the RC2 system particularly, I love RC4 but the plates are bigger than I'd like for under the camera body (I don't mind them under tripod collars). So I'm heading the way of arca-swiss style.

sponsored links

2,122 views & 0 likes for this thread
Attaching RC2 plate to monopod
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.