Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 04 Oct 2010 (Monday) 01:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Archiving from Lightroom by converting to DNG?

professorman
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 04, 2010 01:12 |  #1

I normally archive my edited images from Lightroom unto an external hard drive, but first, I convert them to DNG. DNG stores the edits in the files themselves, so I can simply drag the dng files to the hard drive and viola, everything is stored. If I want to re-edit, I just import them back into Lightroom and lightroom edits are stored. The benefit of dng being 20% smaller was well welcomed as well.

Now, I am shooting my 5D2 in sraw, but when I convert to DNG, the file size almost double.

Does anyone have any other way I can archive my images where the edits are stored IN the file, similar to dng, but still be at least the same file size as the original sRAW?

MyGear | Feedback | facebook (external link)|My Site (external link)|Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
professorman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 04, 2010 01:14 |  #2

Here is someone who encountered the same problem with sRAW to dng conversion.
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=628955

MyGear | Feedback | facebook (external link)|My Site (external link)|Flickr (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,972 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 04, 2010 02:30 |  #3

I don't know why, but when sRaw is converted to DNG the files get bigger. I archive in both DNG and the native RAW file, and given I now use 2TB hard drives it doesn't much matter if each image is 15MB or 30MB.

I also archive a copy as jpeg... just in case.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 04, 2010 02:35 |  #4

CR2 is Canon's nomenclature for RAW. Nikon's is NEF.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

tim
Light Bringer
50,972 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 04, 2010 02:55 |  #5

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #11029406 (external link)
CR2 is Canon's nomenclature for RAW. Nikon's is NEF.

You're absolutely right, but i'm confused about what you posted it...

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 04, 2010 03:11 |  #6

tim wrote in post #11029478 (external link)
You're absolutely right, but i'm confused about what you posted it...

You said you archive in both CR2 and RAW so I was mearly pointing out that they are the same thing.

Jay

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

tim
Light Bringer
50,972 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 04, 2010 03:15 |  #7

Ah I see, I made a typo. I archive in both DNG and native RAW, which for me is now NEF.

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 04, 2010 03:16 |  #8

tim wrote in post #11029546 (external link)
Ah I see, I made a typo. I archive in both DNG and native RAW, which for me is now NEF.

Glad we cleared that up. ;)

Jay

Victoria ­ Bampton
Goldmember
1,367 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 04, 2010 09:07 |  #9

tim wrote in post #11029378 (external link)
I don't know why, but when sRaw is converted to DNG the files get bigger.

Because sRAW files aren't true raw files - they're half-baked. The sRAW format isn't covered by the DNG spec so the data has to be stored in a linear format which is always bigger. Here's the techie blurb: http://www.barrypearso​n.co.uk …ng/specificatio​n.htm#sRAW (external link)

Victoria :D
Lightroom Queen website (external link)
Free & Comprehensive Lightroom Books (external link)
Free List of Lightroom Keyboard Shortcuts (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 04, 2010 15:59 |  #10

Victoria Bampton wrote in post #11030686 (external link)
Because sRAW files aren't true raw files - they're half-baked. The sRAW format isn't covered by the DNG spec so the data has to be stored in a linear format which is always bigger. Here's the techie blurb: http://www.barrypearso​n.co.uk …ng/specificatio​n.htm#sRAW (external link)

Good to know, Victoria!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

professorman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 04, 2010 20:49 |  #11

Thanks Victoria. It was a good explanation.

tim
Light Bringer
50,972 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 05, 2010 03:08 |  #12

Interesting, thanks Victoria! :)

sponsored links

1,276 views & 0 likes for this thread
Archiving from Lightroom by converting to DNG?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.