Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 24 Aug 2005 (Wednesday) 10:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Flash bracket help.

TSEE
Goldmember
4,961 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Aug 24, 2005 10:06 |  #1

Ok I've seen a lot of photographers using flash brackets and I want to get one but I'm just so darn overwhealmed with the options and not really sure what the difference is I'm hoping to get some help.

I do have a flash already but wasn't overly pleased with its performance so I might end up getting another one if I need one for this set up.

I'm gonna attach two pictures, kind of blurry as this photographer was in teh background at a wedding I recently attended as a guest. I've seen a lot of photographers around here use the same setup and I haven't had the thought to ask them myself what their setup is as they are working and can never catch them before they leave.
Maybe someone can help me. Of course this guys camera is of the bad N**** word but I suspect there would be a similar set up for the Canon line. Care to help me identifying the pieces for me so I know what to look for?

I don't know if it matters if what purpose its gonna serve but I'm hoping to use it taking portraits or wedding photos in the future.

Thanks and bunch.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

-Sue (TSEE)
My gear list finally got too long to list under my sig.
"All of us have photographic memory, some of us just don't have film."
"I hate cameras. They are so much more sure than I am about everything."

sponsored links
scottbergerphoto
Cream of the Crop
5,429 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Aug 24, 2005 11:01 |  #2

Unfortunately those pictures show how NOT to use a flash bracket. A flash bracket is supposed to move the flash off the camera to increase the angle between the flash and the lens to eliminate red eye, and drop the shadow behind the subject. It is supposed to maintain the relation between the flash and lens in both portrait and landscape position. The flash should not be on the side of the camera. In addition that photographer is using the Onmibounce diffuser outdoors and straight on. It is not particularly effective out of doors, and when used straight on. It is designed to be used indoors at a 45 degree angle to bounce off a white ceiling.
Some commonly use brackets are:
Strobframe Quick Flip, Pro-T, Pro-RL
Custom
Newton- I an currently using the Newton Flash Rotator.

One World, One Voice Against Terror,
Best Regards,
Scott
ScottBergerPhotography (external link)

TSEE
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,961 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Aug 24, 2005 11:04 |  #3

Thanks Scott.
Interesting, most of the photographers around here use some sort of setup similar to that, I had no idea it was wrong. Hmmm.
Well I'm gonna do a search on B&H to see if I can find those brackets you mentioned, thank you. And one more question, do I need anything in addition to the bracket, flash and camera, some little accessory to make it all work?

-Sue (TSEE)

scottbergerphoto
Cream of the Crop
5,429 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Aug 24, 2005 11:06 as a reply to  @ TSEE's post |  #4

There is nothing wrong with the set up he has. It's that he is using it incorrectly. :D
You need the Off The Shoe Cord 2 to maintain ETTL/2

Best Regards,
Scott

TSEE
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,961 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Aug 24, 2005 11:11 |  #5

Ok...so a bracket and a cord...I can do that.
Thanks for your help...I'm off hunting for parts now. LOL

-Sue (TSEE)

scottbergerphoto
Cream of the Crop
5,429 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Aug 24, 2005 11:15 as a reply to  @ TSEE's post |  #6

TSEE wrote:
Ok...so a bracket and a cord...I can do that.
Thanks for your help...I'm off hunting for parts now. LOL

www.newtoncamerabracke​t.com (external link)
www.bhphotovideo.com (external link)

Best Regards,
Scott

TSEE
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,961 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Aug 24, 2005 11:28 |  #7

Thanks for the websites found them and also found some stuff on Amazon.
Thanks a bunch. =o)

-Sue (TSEE)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,947 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 24, 2005 16:00 |  #8

I have shot many weddings 'in the old days (before digital)' using Medium Format SLR. I settled on the Newton flash bracket because it positioned the flash CENTERED ABOVE the lens in landscape mode, then rotated the flash to STAY CENTERED ABOVE the lens in portrait mode. And unlike many of the cheaper brackets, it was of machined aluminun, making it FAR LIGHTER in weight... a key characteristic when holding 5+ pounds of camera, lens and bracket and flash for hours!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

tim
Light Bringer
50,938 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 24, 2005 16:21 |  #9

lol, the guy obviously doesn't know what he's doing, or he's doing something creative/different with it.

I use a Stroboframe Pro-T, a flip style bracket, it works well for me and is reasonably light weight.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

dlove
52 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 24, 2005 19:23 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #10

I use a Stroboframe Pro-T and like it a lot. It's made out of aluminum, so is light and ridged. I found the supplied cork pad didn't work as advertised and allowed the camera to twist, so I made an anti twist plate. If you get a stroboframe, you might want an anti twist plate for the camera.

You live and learn, Or you don't live long

Dana

20D with a few lenses, tripods, bags and other goodies
A80 with underwater housing and add-on lenses

My Photo Site (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,938 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 24, 2005 19:35 |  #11

You can get anti-twist plates for most cameras, but if you use a grip you need to use the cork pad supplied or something else you make up yourself. I haven't used my pro-t with a grip yet so i'm not sure how it'll work.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

twalker294
665 posts
Joined Jan 2002

Aug 27, 2005 01:29 |  #12

The bracket pictured is the Stroboframe Quickflip 350. I have one and its OK -- just not very sturdy. I don't use a bracket that much so it's not worth it to me to spend a lot of money but if I were going to, the Newton brackets are hard to beat. I hear good things about the Custom brackets as well. They are both much higher quality than the Stroboframes.

Todd Walker
http://twalker294.post​erous.com/ (external link)http://www.twphotograp​hy.net (external link)
Canon 40D, 10D, G9, SX20IS, and SD500

TSEE
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,961 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Aug 29, 2005 13:52 |  #13

THanks everyone, I did find one on ebay I liked alot I just can't seem to find out what model it is as it isn't specified, its a Stroboframe where you flip the camera withing the bracket and the flash stays positioned in one place the whole time.
I think its called Stroboframe Camera Flip Flash Bracket...seems pretty affordable to me right now. Don't think I could afford the Newton's just yet. I hope the Stroboframe would hold me over til I can afford the Newtons, looks like nice stuff!
Thanks everyone!!!

-Sue (TSEE)

twalker294
665 posts
Joined Jan 2002

Aug 29, 2005 14:17 as a reply to  @ TSEE's post |  #14

Yeah, that's the camera flip. I have one and I don't like it. It's flimsy and when you rotate the camera to portrait the flash stays in landscape orientation so you can get some flash coverage issues. I'll sell you mine if you really want one ;-)a

Todd

Todd Walker
http://twalker294.post​erous.com/ (external link)http://www.twphotograp​hy.net (external link)
Canon 40D, 10D, G9, SX20IS, and SD500

TSEE
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,961 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Aug 30, 2005 19:27 |  #15

How much would you want for it?
I figured it was a quick and easy one to use since wedding photography is pretty quick paced (at least the 2 that I did) no time to unscrew stuff from one another. Oh does that bracket work if you're using a tripod as well???

-Sue (TSEE)

sponsored links

7,305 views & 0 likes for this thread
Flash bracket help.
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.