Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 04 Oct 2010 (Monday) 22:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best Buy question

AtMostFear
139 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 04, 2010 22:51 |  #1

so..I bought a TV on behalf of my friends from Best Buy last April, using my Best Buy credit card. they've been paying me every month, no big deal. but lately they've been an ass, paying me late and other stuff, and there's still another $600 left to be paid for the TV.

what I have in mind is, is it possible for me to just return the TV to Best Buy and get the balance due removed? anyone with similar experience?

5DII | 35L | 70-200 II | 50 1.4 | 430EXII | Gitzo GT1541T + Markins Q3T

sponsored links
canonnoob
Cream of the Crop
8,487 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 04, 2010 22:59 |  #2

Lesson learned: never buy stuff for friends.
Why not talk to your friend and say "pay up or good bye"

doubt you can return it since it is past the 30 days.

David W.

texascaoboy
292 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 04, 2010 23:03 |  #3

Wow, doesn't sound like much of a friend. If you didn't get anything in writing (friends or not), than you're screwed since you got it in April. Hopefully they're paying you for the interest. If he/she is indeed a friend, let them know first. Just tell them that you have a problem with them paying late and you plan on selling it if they don't get their act together. If they don't shape up, sell it, give them the portion they already paid, take your loses, walk away, and say goodbye to the friendship if they start hating on you.

However, in some jurisdictions, verbal agreements are binding and just as good as written ones. Small claims court might be your only answer.

Kevin Cao Photography (external link) | Kevin Cao Facebook Fanpage (external link)
Wide Open Tees Photography Clothing Store (external link)
| Wide Open Tees Facebook Fanpage (external link)
Marketplace Feedback

HaroldC3
Goldmember
3,206 posts
Gallery: 65 photos
Joined May 2007

Oct 04, 2010 23:10 |  #4

Yeah, write in to Judge Judy and see if you can get on TV ;)

Flickr (external link) ~ Instagram (external link)

texascaoboy
292 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 04, 2010 23:21 |  #5

Do you have the TV with you? Or is it with the friend? If you have a shi**y credit history, just default on the loan and someone will come and repossess the TV. It'll be funny. :)

Kevin Cao Photography (external link) | Kevin Cao Facebook Fanpage (external link)
Marketplace Feedback

AtMostFear
THREAD ­ STARTER
139 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 04, 2010 23:32 |  #6

texascaoboy wrote in post #11035674 (external link)
Do you have the TV with you? Or is it with the friend? If you have a shi**y credit history, just default on the loan and someone will come and repossess the TV. It'll be funny. :)

The TV is with them. We're staying in the same building but different units. That's what I had in mind too, can I just ask Best Buy to repossess the TV and call it a day? what happens when you default a loan other than bad credit history? (and they'll just repossess the TV right? not my car, savings account, lol)

jdancer987
65 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 04, 2010 23:50 |  #7

No you can't do that. I work there and the card is through HSBC and they are who the payment plan is through. And yea, TV's are a 30 day return policy. sorry man.

Rebel xti w/ BG-E3, 18-55 (kit lens), 24-70 f/2.8L

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 05, 2010 00:06 |  #8

AtMostFear wrote in post #11035742 (external link)
That's what I had in mind too, can I just ask Best Buy to repossess the TV and call it a day?

They wont take the TV if it's almost paid what they could do is sue you for the balance + legal fees + interest up until that point. For such a small amount however they will probably just burn your credit rating and sell you off to collections. Better to repo it yourself and sell for the $600 which should not be to hard then use that money to pay off the remainder of the debt.

texascaoboy
292 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 05, 2010 00:22 |  #9

AtMostFear wrote in post #11035742 (external link)
The TV is with them. We're staying in the same building but different units. That's what I had in mind too, can I just ask Best Buy to repossess the TV and call it a day? what happens when you default a loan other than bad credit history? (and they'll just repossess the TV right? not my car, savings account, lol)

Lol. I was trying to shed some light on the situation. No, you can't ask BestBuy to repossess it. Defaulting on a loan is a really bad idea. Credit gets you very far in this nation. Some may argue it's worth more than cold hard cash. There's a difference between no credit and bad credit as well. Just because you have no credit, doesn't mean you have bad credit.

Like the post above me has stated, go get it yourself, sell it, than pay off the card.

Other than that, small claims court is really your only other option. But that depends on if verbal agreements are binding in your state.

Marketplace Feedback

patrick835
Goldmember
1,033 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 05, 2010 00:25 |  #10

yeah and don't give them back a dime if they disagree with what you're about to do. and stop called them friends

1D mk II + sigma 10-22 + 100f/2.8 + 70-200/f4L + f/2.8L IS II+ tamron AF 2x + 430EX II
[COLOR=darkgreen] 2x Canon 30D + 2x BG-E2N + 18-55 kit + 50mm f/1.8 II + 85 f/1.8 + 100mm Macro + 70-200f/4L + 17-40f/4L + 430EX + 580 EX II + RRS L plate + Markin Q3 + Gitzo G2220
completely broke :lol:

AtMostFear
THREAD ­ STARTER
139 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 05, 2010 01:16 |  #11

oh well I guess I'm just screwed. I keep some of my stuff in their apartment and recently one of them told me to get my stuff from the hallway. I thought a good comeback would be asking them to pay the TV balance due in full (instead of paying monthly) or I'll ask BestBuy to reposses it and they lose what they've paid for. I guess the latter is not an option then.

I hope karma bites them back.

texascaoboy
292 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 05, 2010 01:28 |  #12

It's your TV, go get it. Go back and give them the money they gave you so far and say, "Give me the TV, or give me the rest in full." Is this no longer an option?

Marketplace Feedback

AtMostFear
THREAD ­ STARTER
139 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 05, 2010 01:59 |  #13

texascaoboy wrote in post #11036180 (external link)
It's your TV, go get it. Go back and give them the money they gave you so far and say, "Give me the TV, or give me the rest in full." Is this no longer an option?

It is, but I do not need a TV. I'll be at loss if I take the TV and try to sell it. It doesn't really make any difference to me financially whether they choose to pay it monthly or in full because I know they'll still pay the balance, I just thought I could make them suffer a bit by forking out the full amount now.

It's just one of those times you feel like being an ass to another ass.

texascaoboy
292 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 05, 2010 02:01 |  #14

AtMostFear wrote in post #11036266 (external link)
It is, but I do not need a TV. I'll be at loss if I take the TV and try to sell it. It doesn't really make any difference to me financially whether they choose to pay it monthly or in full because I know they'll still pay the balance, I just thought I could make them suffer a bit by forking out the full amount now.

It's just one of those times you feel like being an ass to another ass.

Ah I see. I thought the debate was between whether they were going pay it or not pay the remaining balance at all (leaving you with the credit hit). Scratch everything I said. :o

Marketplace Feedback

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 05, 2010 05:33 |  #15

If they have not missed a payment that would be fraud and you could be sued for breech of contract.

sponsored links

1,136 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best Buy question
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.