Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 05 Oct 2010 (Tuesday) 02:20
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "35mm lens you would choose"
Zeiss ZE Distagon 35/2
66.7%
Contax C/Y Distagon 35/2.8
0%
Leica R Summicron 35/2
16.7%
Samyang EF 35/1.4
11.1%
Other option (please post)
5.6%

18 voters, 18 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help with choosing a 35mm lens

RaZe42
518 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Oct 05, 2010 02:20 |  #1

Hey look, another "which lens" thread! ;D

Okay, so I need a moderate wide for my kit, and I'm looking at getting a moderately fast 35mm lens. I'm not interested in the Canon 35/2 as it has horrible rendering(IMO) and a bad focusing ring. The 35L is too expensive for me (I'm just a hobbyist).
I like manual focusing and actually prefer having the aperture setting on the lens, therefore I'm mainly looking at alt glass.

I've been looking at the Zeiss ZE Distagon 35/2 for quite some time, and it seems marvellous. The price is a bit off-putting though.

A cheaper option would be the Contax C/Y Distagon 35/2.8, which also is supposed to be a good performer and a lot cheaper than all the other options.

A third option would be getting the Leica R Summicron 35/2, which is a bit cheaper than the ZE Distagon. I prefer the the Zeiss rendering over Leica though.

Another choice would be waiting for the Samyang 35/1.4, but the price seems quite high considering it's a Samyang (supposed to be 400€, preorder in Finland for 530€)

EDIT: I forgot the Zeiss Jena Flektogon 35/2.4

Other option are of course welcome.

Gear: Canon 5D Mk II | Olympus 21/3.5 | Zeiss Distagon 35/2 | Sigma 50/1.4 ASPH | Samyang 85/1.4 ASPH | Canon 100/2.8 L Macro
My modest Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
wunhang
726 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 05, 2010 09:21 |  #2

Just note that the Zeiss ZE does not have an aperture ring - the aperture is set electronically by the in-camera settings. If you want the ring, you can get the ZF and then put a chipped adapter on it.

Canon 5D IV | Canon 5D II | XSI (Infrared modified) | SL1 | 16-35mm L f/4.0 IS | 24-70mm L f/2.8 II | 40mm f/2.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200mm L f/4.0 IS | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | C/Y 28mm f/2.8 | Tamron 35mm f/1.8 VC | C/Y 50mm f/1.7 | Zeiss 100mm MP
::SmugMug (external link)::

Jam.radonc
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Oct 05, 2010 09:52 |  #3

I'm a hobbyist too and have tested the 35/2 ZE and I absolutely love the feel and colour rendition. The only thing preventing me from getting this baby is the new Distagon 35/1.4 which would be released in February/March next year. I know the new lens would probably be near twice the price but I'm such a sucker for fast lenses.

If ergonomically too heavy or the IQ is not too dissimilar at f2 then the decision is easy. I just can't live with what if. It has gotten me quite sometime to get to the kit that I have at present (and still not happy) and I have used the 85L II, 135L, 17-40L plus two Sigma 50mm 1.4 with various other zooms so I know all about money that I have thrown away (or could have used better).

The Flektogon 35/2.4 is a decent lens but in my experience best used stopped down. If you are looking for pleasing images which are true to your eyes with real 3D popping-ness then you can't go wrong with the current 35/2 ZE.

Jam
5D3 | 450D | Panasonic DMC-LX3 | 430 EX II | ST-E2
24-70 L II | 50L | 50 1.8 I | 100L | Zeiss 35/2 ZE | Zeiss 85/2.8 | Zeiss 135/3.5
[COLOR="Silver"]Sold: 17-40L | 24L II | 85L II | 135L | Sigma 50/1.4 | 5D2

RaZe42
THREAD ­ STARTER
518 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Oct 05, 2010 10:29 |  #4

wunhang wrote in post #11037716 (external link)
Just note that the Zeiss ZE does not have an aperture ring - the aperture is set electronically by the in-camera settings. If you want the ring, you can get the ZF and then put a chipped adapter on it.

Yep, I though about that. I saw a ZF used at 5500 SEK (ca 580€), but the seller wasn't willing to ship across the pond :/ (pond as in Baltic Sea)

@Jam Thanks for the tip abou the Flektogon, I had a feeling it wasn't that great wide open.

Gear: Canon 5D Mk II | Olympus 21/3.5 | Zeiss Distagon 35/2 | Sigma 50/1.4 ASPH | Samyang 85/1.4 ASPH | Canon 100/2.8 L Macro

RaZe42
THREAD ­ STARTER
518 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Oct 08, 2010 09:31 |  #5

Okay, I'm getting the Samyang. :P

Check the MTF comparsion with the 35L: http://www.fredmiranda​.com/forum/topic/94014​3/0#8921682 (external link)

Sammy at f/1.4 equals 35L at f/8. Madness! :D

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 08, 2010 10:23 |  #6

It appears that, reading that thread, what the graphs are showing is in doubt.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

RaZe42
THREAD ­ STARTER
518 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Oct 08, 2010 11:17 |  #7

Cogitech said it better than I could:

Gertjan wrote:
After studying the MTF diagrams a little longer, I get the feeling that the Samyang MTF is for f8, and not wide-open.....
In that case it would better correspond with the Canon 35L diagram.
The Samyang would be a bit less sharp, a bit softer in the corners (and a lot cheaper) than the Canon 35L.

Logically, that makes sense, but then why is the graph explicitly labeled "f=35mm Fno1.4"?

Also, why would they spend all this time on an Aspherical 35mm f1.4 lens and then release only an f8 MTF chart?

Something tells me that this lens was designed with wide open performance optimization in mind, sacrificing other optical qualities in order to do so (quite like the 85/1.4), which is why I think it is entirely possible that the chart might in fact represent the f1.4 performance of this lens, and is the reason I will likely buy it. The wide open bokeh and CA will likely be better controlled than the Canon as well.

Time will tell.

sponsored links

1,757 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help with choosing a 35mm lens
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.