Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
Thread started 05 Oct 2010 (Tuesday) 19:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First time photoshoot

r34p3rex
192 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 05, 2010 19:05 |  #1

So I'm looking to get into portrait photography and figured I'd start with some outdoor shots in the park. I posted an ad on craigslist to see if anyone wanted to get some pictures taken free of charge and got a few responses. This will be my first photoshoot session so I don't want to look like a complete noob. Got any suggestions? :) Or if you know of any good guides, that'd be helpful too!

Gripped 5DII | 24-105 f/4L | 70-200 f/2.8L | Sigma 180mm f/3.5 Macro | 430EX II
AB800 | YN-602RF | Vagabond Mini
My Feedback (on other sites): Overclock.net (external link) | Pbnation (external link)

sponsored links
ni$mo350
Cream of the Crop
6,011 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 05, 2010 19:21 |  #2

Act like you know what you're doing even when you don't... Make sure to double check your settings to make sure everything is where you'd like it and put the camera down from your face when giving them directions.

-Chris-Website (external link)|| (external link)Facebook (external link)|| My Flickr (external link)|| Follow me!!! 500px (external link) || (external link) 5D mkii || 35L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS MKII || My bank account hates you all :cry:

Comerfjc
564 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 05, 2010 19:25 |  #3

What are the details regarding the shoot? Do you keep the photos? Do they? Who has the rights? Are you giving them a license to use the photos? What for?

Probably a good idea to at least iron out some of that, even if it's really simple.

Jason
http://www.jasoncomerf​ord.com (external link)
http://jasoncomerford.​zenfolio.com/blog (external link)

r34p3rex
THREAD ­ STARTER
192 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 05, 2010 20:04 |  #4

Comerfjc wrote in post #11041160 (external link)
What are the details regarding the shoot? Do you keep the photos? Do they? Who has the rights? Are you giving them a license to use the photos? What for?

Probably a good idea to at least iron out some of that, even if it's really simple.

Hmm well the first person that contacted me said she would like to keep a copy of all the photos as part of her own personal portfolio (she's an aspiring actress). I did tell her that I wanted to be able to use the pictures in my own portfolio and she was fine with that. :)

Gripped 5DII | 24-105 f/4L | 70-200 f/2.8L | Sigma 180mm f/3.5 Macro | 430EX II
AB800 | YN-602RF | Vagabond Mini
My Feedback (on other sites): Overclock.net (external link) | Pbnation (external link)

LuisArturo
172 posts
Joined May 2010

Oct 06, 2010 11:32 |  #5

This is something I am looking to do also. I am going to get a great lens then do so from there. Right now I just have two kit lenses 55-250 and 18-55 which I dont think is very good glass. I look forward to seeing the end results.

flickr (external link)
BLOG (external link)

ni$mo350
Cream of the Crop
6,011 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 06, 2010 11:51 |  #6

LuisArturo wrote in post #11045497 (external link)
This is something I am looking to do also. I am going to get a great lens then do so from there. Right now I just have two kit lenses 55-250 and 18-55 which I dont think is very good glass. I look forward to seeing the end results.

My suggestion is to master the basics with what you have before moving onto more expensive gear. The most expensive gear can't help you if you don't know how to frame or expose properly..

Looks like you have soem decent shots so far in your photo stream, keep working at it and I'm sure you'll do great!

-Chris-Website (external link)|| (external link)Facebook (external link)|| My Flickr (external link)|| Follow me!!! 500px (external link) || (external link) 5D mkii || 35L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS MKII || My bank account hates you all :cry:

stsva
Cream of the Crop
6,360 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 06, 2010 13:00 |  #7

r34p3rex wrote in post #11041447 (external link)
Hmm well the first person that contacted me said she would like to keep a copy of all the photos as part of her own personal portfolio (she's an aspiring actress). I did tell her that I wanted to be able to use the pictures in my own portfolio and she was fine with that. :)

You might want to Google "model release" and put one together, defining your and her rights to the images.

Some Canon stuff and a little bit of Yongnuo.
http://www.pbase.com/s​tsva/profile (external link)
Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
٩ Breeders Club https://photography-on-the.net …=744235&highlig​ht=hamsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

russellfleming
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 06, 2010 17:43 |  #8

ni$mo350 wrote in post #11041140 (external link)
Act like you know what you're doing even when you don't... .

I think this is a terrible piece of advice,

tell the people you are doing the shot for free, because you are starting out.. telll them that not all the images will be great, and that you will want to try a few different things as you are learning..

this way when your client sees the images, and some may not be what they expected at least they know your just learning!.. they will be more understanding!

Russell Fleming
commercial photographer
"your work is not validated unless it goes somewhere" Grace Coddington - Creative Director - American Vouge

35mmNewbie
Goldmember
2,127 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 06, 2010 17:55 |  #9

russellfleming wrote in post #11047636 (external link)
I think this is a terrible piece of advice,

tell the people you are doing the shot for free, because you are starting out.. telll them that not all the images will be great, and that you will want to try a few different things as you are learning..

this way when your client sees the images, and some may not be what they expected at least they know your just learning!.. they will be more understanding!

I interpreted that piece of advice more as keep moving along in the shoot, if you get stuck on something wether its exposure or pose go on to your next idea, and don't stand around wasting your models time.

Bryan
20D; 70-200 f4; YN-560; Genesis 200 Strobe w/ 43" Umbrella; 43" 5 in 1 Reflector;

ni$mo350
Cream of the Crop
6,011 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 06, 2010 18:50 |  #10

35mmNewbie wrote in post #11047674 (external link)
I interpreted that piece of advice more as keep moving along in the shoot, if you get stuck on something wether its exposure or pose go on to your next idea, and don't stand around wasting your models time.

+1 sorry I thought that was my intention haha. Shoot with confidence but don't be cocky.. Don't get hung up on something like if you're using lighting and for some reason it stops working. Don't freeze and freak out, tell them you're going to switch the settings up and need a minute.

Cole_Schmitt
Goldmember
1,280 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 16, 2010 22:59 |  #11

If you start by giving out your pictures for free, you will have a very hard time transitioning to making money. Go out with a couple lady friends on a couple different occasions and practice that way. Giving a friend free services is a lot safer than giving a stranger free services (the stranger will go tell everyone you do free work).

Cole | flickr (external link)
XTi • 17-55 ƒ2.8

Ashura
117 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 19, 2010 06:22 |  #12

Cole_Schmitt wrote in post #11110946 (external link)
Giving a friend free services is a lot safer than giving a stranger free services (the stranger will go tell everyone you do free work).

But restricting oneself to friends and family is not a good thing, since one of the most important things to learn with portrait photography is how to make strangers feel at ease with you and your camera.

flickr (external link)
50D, EF 24-105/4 L, EF 50/1.4, EF 35/2.0, EF-S 10-22/3.5-4.5, 430EX, D-Lite 4 It kit

snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,084 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 19, 2010 09:47 |  #13

I'll reiterate the 'check, check and double check your camera settings' comment. Everything starts from there. ISO setting is what I tend to overlook. Set to 100 and build exposure around that!

dave

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

Cole_Schmitt
Goldmember
1,280 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 21, 2010 20:56 |  #14

Ashura wrote in post #11124371 (external link)
But restricting oneself to friends and family is not a good thing, since one of the most important things to learn with portrait photography is how to make strangers feel at ease with you and your camera.

What I meant was until you get confident enough with your portrait work that you feel like you can create images that people will want to buy, take your friends out for practice photoshoots instead.

Cole | flickr (external link)
XTi • 17-55 ƒ2.8

Ashura
117 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 22, 2010 04:16 |  #15

Cole_Schmitt wrote in post #11141960 (external link)
What I meant was until you get confident enough with your portrait work that you feel like you can create images that people will want to buy, take your friends out for practice photoshoots instead.

But if you've never worked with strangers, haven't learnt by experience how to make people comfortable with you and your camera, trust won't be present, and shots will be lifeless, which is not acceptable for portrait. Having people pay for such a result is very un-professionnal, in my opinion, and can easily ruin a reputation.

Also, I don't think that prefering to do free photoshoots for a while, and then moving on to paid shoots, is that much of a problem. What's the problem with replying to a phone call with "Now I'm charging for portraits, thank you" ? This is very common practice in the American cosplay community, photographers who are just starting shoot with their friends, then they move on to scheduled shoots with people they don't know, and once they feel their work is worth the money, they start charging for it. And for what I know, it works.

flickr (external link)
50D, EF 24-105/4 L, EF 50/1.4, EF 35/2.0, EF-S 10-22/3.5-4.5, 430EX, D-Lite 4 It kit

sponsored links

2,914 views & 0 likes for this thread
First time photoshoot
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.